ItsJustDeep

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:40 NIV 

It's something my muslim friend brought up about a possible unfulfilled prophecy by Jesus. At this time last night I didn't provide an answer and I wasn't Not happy with it but know that there is a clear explanation. So i'm hoping someone can lead me to scripture that answers this. Please and thank you. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi DT, 

I'm not sure what trouble your Muslim friend is having since this prophecy was fulfilled LONG ago.

The Pharisees were trying to make Jesus look like a devil and charged him to give them a sign.

The crazy thing is that Jesus had already given them sign after sign after sign and they would not believe.  He called them an evil generation and an "adulterous" generation.  Adulterous meaning that they were committing spiritual adultery by their man-made traditions, idolatry, and disobedience before God.

So he says that HE HIMSELF will be the sign.  Just like Jonah in the Old Testament stayed in the belly of the fish for three days and nights, Jesus' dead body would lie in that tomb for three days and three night - then God would resurrect him.

They STILL killed Jesus.

Jesus STILL rose again in three days just like he said.  The prophecy was fulfilled long ago.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

What did your friend offer as proof that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecy?  Can you give more information so we can understand your concern?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

I think it is helpful to know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus is God's son or actually died on the cross. They have a theory that no one actually died on the cross, but rather only “appeared” to take place, thus fooling the Jews into thinking they had successfully killed Jesus. That Jesus was protected from suffering an unnatural, violent death at the hands of his enemies. That the event was merely a mirage. They have other theories too, and all of them deny that Jesus died on the cross

@Deeplytroubled

It would be helpful if you could provide us with more details of the conversation. There isn't enough to go on to provide more concise answers to your friend's question and position. There are indeed historical accounts outside the bible of Jesus' death on the cross.  You might find those sources helpful being shown side by side with biblical scripture.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

44 minutes ago, OneLight said:

What did your friend offer as proof that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecy?  Can you give more information so we can understand your concern?

Well he's placing more attention on the 3 days AND 3 NIGHTS part  Then went on about it being an unfulfilled prophecy by Jesus himself.

We both agreed that he died on Friday, it was my mistake I'm just getting back to scripture myself. But I told him I know there's an answer to it and would be more versed in it when we talk later..today hopefully.

I just watched a video however, with the help of scripture..pointing to being crucified om Wednesday. Still going through it rn, i'll get it.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, appy said:

I think it is helpful to know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus is God's son or actually died on the cross. They have a theory that no one actually died on the cross, but rather only “appeared” to take place, thus fooling the Jews into thinking they had successfully killed Jesus. That Jesus was protected from suffering an unnatural, violent death at the hands of his enemies. That the event was merely a mirage. They have other theories too, and all of them deny that Jesus died on the cross

@Deeplytroubled

It would be helpful if you could provide us with more details of the conversation. There isn't enough to go on to provide more concise answers to your friend's question and position. There are indeed historical accounts outside the bible of Jesus' death on the cross.  You might find those sources helpful being shown side by side with biblical scripture.

He had some problems with scripture like Gabriel telling Mary the holy spirit would "over shadow" lol..he called it graphic. I asked how? I mean in what way is it explicit as you say? He replies "well..it just seems like a wrong representation of Jesus"..he didn't give me much to go on.

He has a problem obviously with Jesus being called the begotten son..reads a verse about the heavens and world shaking at the thought of God having a son..so for now rejects him.

The fact that the NIV has taken verses out of the bible I guess is a red alarm ?  lol but I said well how do you know..and I know that it's been taken out..because other copies exist. I said they can take out all of Genesis..all of mark Luke John and we know it will be taken out because of the thousands of transcripts that were used to complete the bible. He asks how I feel about it..obviously I say it shouldn't happen but can't comment much further about it.

But there are some things he liked Jesus said while showing him our views of heaven our different. Like the parable of the 7 brothers..I can tell he enjoyed that one..

And i'm hoping this increases my faith as well being more inclined to read scripture because of this and wanting to answer not only muslims or anyone about scripture but assure myself that all inspiration is God breathed.

48 minutes ago, SONshine said:

Greetings, Deeplytroubled.  

As mentioned above, the sign of Jonah has long been fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.  Jonah is a “type” of Christ.  In Matthew 12:39-40, the Lord Jesus is telling the Pharisees that no sign but the sign of Jonah will be given to them:  “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the great fish’s belly, so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”  

we were both under the impression Jesus died on Friday noon..it was something I couldn't answer at the time but I'm getting better understanding. Learning more as we speak? thank God

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Yeshua died on Wednesday Nisan 14. He rose on the eve of the Sabbath that week, the 17th Nisan. Exactly 72 hours in the tomb. Good friday thru sunday is a myth. Pleaes read and study the attached.

3 days 3nights.jpg

miatonsabbaton2.doc

• Thanks 1

This is the explanation video I watched.

I hope this isn't breaking any rules but is everyone else in agreement with this? Everyone might be a stretch but the majority atleast?

Edited by Deeplytroubled

3 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Yeshua died on Wednesday Nisan 14. He rose on the eve of the Sabbath that week, the 17th Nisan. Exactly 72 hours in the tomb. Good friday thru sunday is a myth. Pleaes read and study the attached.

3 days 3nights.jpg

miatonsabbaton2.docUnavailable

Thank you brother.