• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, Andrew 37 said:

Just joined So Hello to you all. I am doing some research on the above topic. So in order for it to work I need honest answears as Christian's I know that will be the case. So I am "Epiletic" I have my thoughts on this which my surprise you or may not. So ware is the Belief in possession with Epileptics Today. More people comment the better which is obvious.

Welcome to Worthy :) Epilepsy has nothing to do with demon possession. Epilepsy is a brain disorder. In the Bible it is mentioned once as a person who was possessed but that was only the father who described his son's condition. The Bible also mentions epilepsy as a medical condition Matthew 4:24

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 7/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, Josheb said:

The point made in my op reply is the English word "epilepsy" is not what the Greek manuscripts actually stated in the Matthew 17. Look it up. 

I did just out of interest. The enhanced Strong's Dictionary says:

g4583. σεληνιάζομαι selēniazomai; middle voice or passive from a presumed derivative of 4582; to be moon-struck, i.e. crazy: — be a lunatic.
AV (2) - be lunatick 2;
      I. to be moon-struck or lunatic
     II. to be epileptic
             A. epilepsy being supposed to return and increase with the increase of the moon. This meaning is doubtful as the Greeks knew nothing of epilepsy.

I agree with those who commented to the effect, that the Bible is reporting what the father of the boy said, namely that he falls into fire and water and was a lunatic (many translation render this as epilepsy - no doubt a guess from the symptoms), but this is just a description by dad, not a diagnosis of the Bible or Jesus. What we do see, is that the son was demon possessed, and that apparently, a demon can cause physical maladies.

I happen to be epileptic, have been since about the age of 13 (now 68), but it is under control with medication. I suspect that medication, would not cure demon possession, lol.

As an aside, it was 16 days after the OP that the first reply was made, and the OP has only signed in once since then, and therefore may have only seen the first two replies so far.

So to Andrew, the OP, to your question"

So ware is the Belief in possession with Epileptics Today. 

I am going to assume that you meant "So where is the belief in possession with epileptics today?"

There probably is not much of a belief in that, since the Bible never said that epilepsy is the result of demon possession. At best we see that some translations state that the father of the son believed that that the boy was a lunatic (and interpret that to be epilepsy), and that caused him to fall into fires and water. That is not the idea that the Bible put forth, that is the idea that the Bible reports the father as believing.

The takeaway of the passages is, that some maladies can be caused by demon possession, and that sometimes, disciples who lack faith, cannot cast out the demon. However, Jesus was able to do that and the boy was healed.

Later the disciples came to Jesus, wondering why they could not themselves, cast the demon out, Jesus told them:

“Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you, but this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

2 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I did just out of interest. The enhanced Strong's Dictionary says:

g4583. σεληνιάζομαι selēniazomai; middle voice or passive from a presumed derivative of 4582; to be moon-struck, i.e. crazy: — be a lunatic.
AV (2) - be lunatick 2;
      I. to be moon-struck or lunatic
     II. to be epileptic
             A. epilepsy being supposed to return and increase with the increase of the moon. This meaning is doubtful as the Greeks knew nothing of epilepsy.

I agree with those who commented to the effect, that the Bible is reporting what the father of the boy said, namely that he falls into fire and water and was a lunatic (many translation render this as epilepsy - no doubt a guess from the symptoms), but this is just a description by dad, not a diagnosis of the Bible or Jesus. What we do see, is that the son was demon possessed, and that apparently, a demon can cause physical maladies.

I happen to be epileptic, have been since about the age of 13 (now 68), but it is under control with medication. I suspect that medication, would not cure demon possession, lol.

As an aside, it was 16 days after the OP that the first reply was made, and the OP has only signed in once since then, and therefore may have only seen the first two replies so far.

So to Andrew, the OP, to your question"

I am going to assume that you meant "So where is the belief in possession with epileptics today?"

There probably is not much of a belief in that, since the Bible never said that epilepsy is the result of demon possession. At best we see that some translations state that the father of the son believed that that the boy was a lunatic (and interpret that to be epilepsy), and that caused him to fall into fires and water. That is not the idea that the Bible put forth, that is the idea that the Bible reports the father as believing.

The takeaway of the passages is, that some maladies can be caused by demon possession, and that sometimes, disciples who lack faith, cannot cast out the demon. However, Jesus was able to do that and the boy was healed.

Later the disciples came to Jesus, wondering why they could not themselves, cast the demon out, Jesus told them:

“Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you, but this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

Interesting Omega, actually I have a long time friend of mine that he was an Epileptic since childhood, according to his testimonies...being an Epileptic was so difficult to bear and he was under treatment of medicines from childhood.

The good news,  when he was on Third Year High School..his Parents & all of them in the family became born again Christian...and while they were continue in their faith to Jesus along with this Epileptic Friend of mine and his name is Alvin..He became  diligent to study the word of God...and one day he realized that he was HEALED and yet this friend of mine is now already a Pastor in Philippine Community church in California, USA.

Edited by Refresher

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

Re-Post:

Interesting Omega, actually I have a long time friend of mine that he was an Epileptic since childhood, according to his testimonies...being an Epileptic was so difficult to bear and he was under treatment of medicines from childhood.

The good news,  when he was on Third Year High School..his Parents & all of them in the family became born again Christian...and while they were continue in their faith to Jesus along with this Epileptic Friend of mine and his name is Alvin..He became  diligent to study the word of God...and one day he realized that he was HEALED and yet this friend of mine is now already a Pastor in Philippine Community church in California, USA.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Andrew 37 said:

Just joined So Hello to you all. I am doing some research on the above topic. So in order for it to work I need honest answears as Christian's I know that will be the case. So I am "Epiletic" I have my thoughts on this which my surprise you or may not. So ware is the Belief in possession with Epileptics Today. More people comment the better which is obvious.

I have epilepsy and I am not demon possessed.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 7/3/2020 at 11:39 PM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I have epilepsy and I am not demon possessed.

I have often been accused of being demon possessed, but I do not have epilepsy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

On 6/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Andrew 37 said:

Are you aware of the verse where Jesus "heals all who come to Him, including epileptics AND demoniacs?"

Per the NT, sometimes afflictions are demonic, sometimes not!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, Andrew 37 said:

Epilepsy is a medical disorder of the brain. That is all. It does not include demonic possession. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,200
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/12/2020 at 5:03 PM, Andrew 37 said:

The point of the story with Jesus healing the Epileptic, was he exercised authority over the demon that caused the health and mental issues. You have the same power, Jesus says i give you power over all the enemy, use your faith and dont rest until it is gone. Also follow the doctors advice. I do the same today, the mental illness comes back but i keep rebuking it, it has a less of a hold on me because i do these things.