IGNORED

How does one overcome temptations in their life?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

Daniel and I have a history that contains much affirmation and collaboration.

I beg your pardon. So, the two of you are very well acquainted then. 

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

Fail. 

Snarky, bro. Very snarky. 

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

You wanna digress further with more insinuating advice-giving? 

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I'm strongly recommending that you cease this demeanor of addressing me. Now. Further attempts at "trolling" me will not be profitable for you here. This is not Facebook. 

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

Or have you got something new and op-relevant to post? 

We had both contributed very good posts concerning the topic till now. It ends here. I'm finished trifling with you concerning this, brother. One topic was closed previously for this same reason. Finding yourself under moderator review or placement into the Mars Hill forum will not be pleasing to you. 

1 Timothy 5:1 KJV 1Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;

STOP THIS, Josheb

Do not quote me further on this thread. Thank you.

Here are Worthy's standards of the ToS = Terms of Service. 

Registration Terms

Registering for Worthy Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Ministries! By registering you'll be able to have access to Worthy Christian Forums and Worthy Christian Chat.

Worthy Christian Forums is a non-denominational ministry where we discuss a host of worthy topics such as Bible prophecy, theology, and the latest news. Our desire is to provide a Christian-friendly, family oriented atmosphere online. In Order to do that we apply the following rules.

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email [moderator at worthychristianforums.com]. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You may not post any material that is disrespectful of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or the Bible. This includes usernames or anything in your profile, or sig. (Ex. 20:7)

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

The use of profanity will not be tolerated. This includes sexually explicit, vulgar, or other profane language or usernames as well as any any signs or symbols that suggests such. Do not post sexually explicit, vulgar or offensive website addresses (URL's) to the forum. (Eph. 4: 29)

Abuse of other posters is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster. We also strongly discourage giving out personal information such as email addresses, physical addresses and phone numbers on the public boards. Any information given out in private is at your own discretion and risk. (Eph. 4: 29)

Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted!  We also reserve the right to remove any member from any thread for any of these violations. Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

No “spamming” allowed. Spamming is flooding the forums, mass PMs or emailing multiple members of this forum with unsolicited messages. It also includes links in posts or Sigs to sites that sell or solicits funds. No solicitation of any form will be allowed.

No Plagiarism. You must have permission to post copyrighted material. When you do have permission, all due attribution is to be posted as well. (Ex. 20:15, Lev 19:11)

By posting on the forums here, you understand that your posts are publicly visible and that you are freely and voluntarily putting what you post here, into the public domain. If that is not acceptable, then do not post anything you do not want widely read and publicly disseminated.

Misrepresentation of age, gender or identity on Worthy Ministries is prohibited. Neither will you impersonate anyone in Worthy Ministries, including administrators, violation of this rule can and will be grounds for being banned from Worthy Ministries. (Ex. 20:15, Lev 19:11)

Disrespectful or threatening comments toward governmental institutions and/or world leaders will not be tolerated. (1 Pet. 2:13-17)

Usernames should not contain titles such as Rev. or Dr. We have no way to verify one's education or right to bear such title. Here on the boards, we are all on equal standing.

If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private. The moderation team serves this ministry on a voluntary basis. They are human beings and make mistakes. If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Report Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)

This is a privately funded message board, we reserve the right to edit or remove any postings that we feel are detrimental to the fellowship on this board, or detrimental to the witness of the board, as we see fit. It is not possible to read every post. If you see a board violation, please report it using the “Report Post” button.

These rules are subject to change at any time without notice. We will make every effort to ensure that users are aware of the changes in a timely manner.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

read to here

Thanks All,

Daniel

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

First a person needs to be aware that lustful temptations are not of God. We are only human and have a sinful nature. God can help us to overcome those temptations. We just need to ask. 

James 1

12 Great blessings belong to those who are tempted and remain faithful! After they have proved their faith, God will give them the reward of eternal life. God promised this to all people who love him. 13 Whenever you feel tempted to do something bad, you should not say, “God is tempting me.” Evil cannot tempt God, and God himself does not tempt anyone. 14 You are tempted by the evil things you want. Your own desire leads you away and traps you. 15 Your desire grows inside you until it results in sin. Then the sin grows bigger and bigger and finally ends in death.

16 My dear brothers and sisters, don’t be fooled about this. 17 Everything good comes from God. Every perfect gift is from him. These good gifts come down from the Father who made all the lights in the sky. But God never changes like the shadows from those lights. He is always the same. 18 God decided to give us life through the true message he sent to us. He wanted us to be the most important of all that he created

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.88
  • Days Won:  64

Hi Everyone!  Please let's be kind one to another and forgive each other.  Let's speak with respect to each other.   

Regarding the OP.  I was reminded today of the Armor of God!

Ephesians 6:10-18 New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

We have spiritual warfare and Satan and his kind wants us to fall and sin, some with this and some with that .. whatever works he will use.   For one lust another pride, etc.  we have to be watchful at all times.  I need to really focus more on this myself to put on the armor each day and think about it and stay alert and pray more.   

Praying for love, forgiveness and reconciliation for all who need it here on this thread.

Edited by Amanda Frances
added last statement just now.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

12 minutes ago, Amanda Frances said:

Hi Everyone!  Please let's be kind one to another and forgive each other.  Let's speak with respect to each other.   

Regarding the OP.  I was reminded today of the Armor of God!

Ephesians 6:10-18 New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

We have spiritual warfare and Satan and his kind wants us to fall and sin, some with this and some with that .. whatever works he will use.   For one lust another pride, etc.  we have to be watchful at all times.  I need to really focus more on this myself to put on the armor each day and think about it and stay alert and pray more.   

Amen and in connection of the above scripture herewith below another reference.

Walking in the Spirit Galatians 5:16-26 New King James Version

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.  And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Edited by Refresher
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

14 minutes ago, Refresher said:

Amen and in connection of the above scripture herewith below another reference.

Walking in the Spirit Galatians 5:16-26 New King James Version

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.  And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

As long as I realize that it is not my flesh that is overcoming itself. To walk in the Spirit requires me to first have the Spirit---for it is He that crucifies my flesh. When I read such verses, it is easy for me to say, "Coliseum, you must do these things." But it is not me doing them, but Christ in me doing them."

Edited by Coliseum
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

2 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

As long as I realize that it is not my flesh that is overcoming itself. To walk in the Spirit requires me to first have the Spirit---for it is He that leads my flesh to be crucified. When I read such verses, it is easy for me to say, "Coliseum, you must do these things." But it is not me doing them, but Christ in me doing them."

Amen and Amen Brother, me too >>>But it is not me doing them, but Christ in me doing them."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 6/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, Daniel Marsh said:

I still have attraction to women who are not my wife and I never acted on that too.   We all have temptations as Christians.

1 Corinthians 10:13  The only temptations that you have are the same temptations that all people have. But you can trust God. He will not let you be tempted more than you can bear. But when you are tempted, God will also give you a way to escape that temptation. Then you will be able to endure it.

I think the best answer I got was from a Pastor who was trying to teach his son about overcoming temptation.

He went to the gym with his son, and had him lift weights.  He then had him try and lift weight that was too much for him.

He couldn't lift it.  But after some months, he could lift the weight.

The pastor told his son, overcoming temptation is similar to this.  You have to work at it, and exercise your ability to resist and flee temptation.  It will be very hard to start with, but as you learn grow, and exercise your resistance, you will get better at it.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 6/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Josheb said:

Fail. 

Daniel and I have a history that contains much affirmation and collaboration. It is myopic to think otherwise. My op-reply needn't be read as advice. That too is myopic. What posters did or did not do prior to anyone's arrival changes the instant someone new joins a forum. We are all in a constant state of adaptation and accommodation as newbies adjust to those long-present and those long-present adjust to new influences and styles. The foot cannot say to the eye, "I have no need of you," nor can the foot say, "You must become a foot and stop being an eye." Again, it is myopic to think otherwise. That kind of myopia is bullying.

Most importantly, the question asked was not answered. Why? No harm could have come from answer those questions. Failure to do so is avoidant. And now - based upon what you just posted - we know the avoidance was based on a myopic view of both others and the forum. In the future: if you don't want me pointing it out to you then don't do it.

I asked two very simple and obvious questions that could have been answered in a op-collaborating manner but that's not what was chosen. You chose.... ironically... to give advice! In other words, you left the "doctrinal discussion" and gave advice while reporting advice-giving is of no interest to the op. It's not of interest to me, either. It was myopic of you to think otherwise. The irony is this: the temptation to leave the op and hypocritically give advice should have been overcome! :b: So thanks for giving us an object lesson to which we can now refer while topically discussing the op. Beau, the guy who posts, "Apologies. My mistake," is someone I can respect. The guy who off-topically and unrepentantly labels other's contents "pathetic apathy"? Not so much. 

Next time: try giving me the benefit of the doubt. Try doing it with all the posters and you'll find a lot less conflict ensues.

We have agreement: The op asks, "How does one overcome temptations in their life?" I also completely and wholeheartedly with you: sinless perfectionism is impossible on this side of resurrection. And I have, whether acknowledged or not, answered the question this op asks diversely but not exhaustively and anyone with any interest can select any of those points and discussion them either for the purpose of doctrinal discussion or advice (or any number of other purposes) with me as they feel so led. So... 

You wanna digress further with more insinuating advice-giving? 

Or have you got something new and op-relevant to post? 

On 6/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, Josheb said:

I asked if you had anything new and op-relevant to post. If my post was "very good" then what basis for admonition exists? Why start with criticism? Seriously, in a post you think is "very good," why would you start with criticism? Can't be had both ways. That's all on you. 

Don't look now, Beau, but the only one here trolling is you. No one asked you to tell me how things work here. It was off-topic. If Daniel is interested in doctrinal discussion then it was you who hijacked his op. The tou requires all to speak respectfully to one another but you've gone out of your way to be disrespectful, assuming things not in evidence, posting insinuations, and remaining off-topic! Take a look at the log in your own eye, Beau. Again I remind you: if you don't like me calling you on your dross then don't post dross.

And Beau, I was on review for a week and the mods found nothing wrong with my posts. What they found was a small group of posters, a three or four in all, who don't like the way I post, assume derisive things about my character because of it, and don't mind going off-topic to say so. You, by your own confession, happen to be one of them. 

Any one of the points I made in my very good op-reply is a matter for op-relevant discussion in any number of ways, whether doctrinal, advice, experiential, etc. and I invite you back into the discussion of this op to discuss any of it. It is your choice. Another post that has nothing to do with this op is on you. 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, Josheb said:

So how much, and I pose this questions to all the participants in this op, how much of that ability to walk in the Spirit is dependent upon a proper understanding of ourselves, of our identity in Christ? How much of that is dependent upon our understanding of others, especially others whose identities are also in Christ? 

For example, many years ago when I was a fledgling believer I recall standing in the back of a large congregation as the service let out. This was a congregation of more than 1000 people so there were lots of women to observe, evaluate, and selectively lost over. I found in the moment of doing so a voice asking me, "Would you think this way about your sister?" and in a sincere attempt to answer that query I reflected upon my own biological sister and whether or not I would appraise her and lust after her as I had been doing among the then current crowd and the answer was a horrified, "No, Lord, of course not!" to which I then head, 

"Every single one of these women are your sisters in Christ

and the significance of both my wrongdoing and the vast potential of life in the body of Christ unfolded in an instant. 

My life changed substantively that morning but I wish I could say the lesson was completely learned in that moment. Sadly it was not. However, God is faithful and has promised to work all things for good in those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose. 

Very good. Well said. Umm, just one question, bro. You were such a stickler for remaining with the opster's topic as I recall.  Is this your current method of agenda now? That's all fine and good if you wanna go off topic like that. You sure nailed me mercilessly on it, though. I thought it was all about this. 

How does one overcome temptations in their life?

And so therefore, 

FAIL

Oh, by the way. You can quote, bash, attempt to further demolish, demean, debase, dehumanize, demoralize and disrespect me all you want to. Nothing matters concerning the situation. Go for it. 

Go right ahead and feel free.

I just placed you on block.

I could care less what do or say now.  

Oh. One more thing. 

Go ahead and report this too. 

I've already done for you.

Here's a ball - go play in the street.

But watch out for traffic, won't you?  

No, wait. Before you go, here's a surgical mask from the nursing facility I'm residing in. You're so respectful towards Senior Citizens, so it's a gift of love from me to you. It's for your protection against the Covid-19 virus. We're invaded with it here. Well, God bless you, Josheb

Love in Christ, 

Shalom. 

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles