• Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Puzzling Activity at Mount St. Helens

By Peggy Andersen

Associated Press

posted: 22 July 2005

10:47 am ET

SEATTLE (AP) -- There's a whole lotta shakin' going on at Mount St. Helens these days as the restless peak does what it has done for thousands of years: build new lava domes that totter and fall and become the foundations for still more new ones.

A series of unusually strong earthquakes -- exceeding magnitude 3 -- has been reported in recent days by the Cascades Volcano Laboratory in Vancouver, Wash., about 50 miles south of the mountain. The latest was a magnitude 3.1 quake early Thursday that was accompanied by a rockfall.

Quakes of that magnitude would go mostly unnoticed elsewhere, but they're a clue to activity at a volcano.

For full article, click below....

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/..._st_helens.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

So, is anyone making any predictions as to when he/she thinks it will blow?

The lady who bought our house lives in CA and she is glad to get away from there.

People in the midwest are really suffering with this heat and it is about 100 here during the day - supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Thank God for airconditioning! My, my how spoiled we have become. :24:

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017

Take my house, take my food, take my job... you can even take my life. But lay ONE FINGER on my air conditioning and you'll draw back a stump!

I thank God daily for my air conditioning. If my apartment were burning down, I'd plop my Bible down on top of the air conditioner and carry them both out of the fire!

Nebula is the resident Mount St. Helens buff around here. I have a keen interest in MSH's, too. I remember when she blew in the 80's. I was living in North Dakota at the time (a fact I rarely admit to) and I remember waking up to inches of ash outside.

Washington is still my dream state to live in though. Somewhere in a small town north of Seattle, close to Vancouver, BC. Give me a log cabin in the country (with air conditioning) and I'll watch ol' Helen lose her sainthood from my front porch!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

I live in Oregon near Mt. St. Helens, and I remember when she erupted in the 80's. There was ash everywhere for what seemed like forever. After awhile, you could go into a store and they were actually selling "Mt. Saint Helens" ash in a little bottle. About 6 months ago there was alot of activity and it was on the news all day long everyday for about a week. Maybe this time something will happen :24:

Take my house, take my food, take my job... you can even take my life.  But lay ONE FINGER on my air conditioning and you'll draw back a stump!

I thank God daily for my air conditioning.  If my apartment were burning down, I'd plop my Bible down on top of the air conditioner and carry them both out of the fire! 

Nebula is the resident Mount St. Helens buff around here.  I have a keen interest in MSH's, too.  I remember when she blew in the 80's.  I was living in North Dakota at the time (a fact I rarely admit to) and I remember waking up to inches of ash outside.

Washington is still my dream state to live in though.  Somewhere in a small town north of Seattle, close to Vancouver, BC.  Give me a log cabin in the country (with air conditioning) and I'll watch ol' Helen lose her sainthood from my front porch!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o:):)

Take my house, take my food, take my job... you can even take my life.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Give me a home,

where the penguin roam...

Ahhhhhhhhh, I miss the sub-zero temperatures of the Arctic. Why, oh why did I have to get sent to Florida? :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm not even joking... If it gets above 75, I melt faster than Snapple's attempt at the World's Largest Free-Standing Popsicle in New York that never had the chance to stand. 

Even my Bible has air-conditioning built into the fire and brimstone passages.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Want to know something ironic? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. :b: I work for a heating and air conditioning company, but the past few days have been so hot that the building where we work has been in the 80's and very humid and it's the first time ever, I think, that I sweated while working an office job. The owners are renting the building and it is a metal building and I think the airconditioning unit is not big enough to cool the building, so it gets like a hot box in there. I'm one of those spoiled by airconditioning kind of people and I have never done well in high heat and high humidity, so the past two days I have come home from work physically and mentally drained. But, it is supposed to cool down some this weekend, so that's good, though I heard with the cooling is supposed to come a bunch of storms.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

It's very hot and humid in Cali too... and my air conditioning broke in the house :thumbsup: it was 90 in here (my car doesn't have ac either :b: boy do I need a job so I can get a car with ac!)

Want to know something ironic? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. :thumbsup: I work for a heating and air conditioning company, but the past few days have been so hot that the building where we work has been in the 80's and very humid and it's the first time ever, I think, that I sweated while working an office job. The owners are renting the building and it is a metal building and I think the airconditioning unit is not big enough to cool the building, so it gets like a hot box in there. I'm one of those spoiled by airconditioning kind of people and I have never done well in high heat and high humidity, so the past two days I have come home from work physically and mentally drained. But, it is supposed to cool down some this weekend, so that's good, though I heard with the cooling is supposed to come a bunch of storms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe me, I can sympathize. The building I last worked in... before my two week sabbatical before my new job begins next month... the air would go out like clockwork.

The irony on this side of the border is that the last couple of nights have been cold outside. Last night, I went for a short walk and my teeth were chattering you'd have thought it was it was March. I just came in from a walk a few minutes ago and I had to put a jacket on. A jacket! At the end of July! Believe me, I've been in my element. It's free air-conditioning. I always sleep a lot better when it's cold.

hmh Posted Jul 26 2005, 09:27 PM

Give me a home,

where the penguin roam...

Ahhhhhhhhh, I miss the sub-zero temperatures of the Arctic. Why, oh why did I have to get sent to Florida? 

I see you're familiar with my personal anthem, hmh. As far as Florida goes, (to quote an old movie) "you has my sympathies." I couldn't live in a place where it's so humid, mold can grow on the walls.