Ervin P

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Hi. I was wondering for any insight into teachings of Ellen G White. I know that Seventh day Adventist’s uphold rather more of the Old Testament teachings compared to other churches. I have a book app on my phone and it has Ellen’s books and I do plan to read them but I am hoping that some of you might know about what they are like. 

Thanks

Thanks

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,351
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

36 minutes ago, Ervin P said:

Hi. I was wondering for any insight into teachings of Ellen G White. I know that Seventh day Adventist’s uphold rather more of the Old Testament teachings compared to other churches. I have a book app on my phone and it has Ellen’s books and I do plan to read them but I am hoping that some of you might know about what they are like. 

Thanks

Thanks

They follow the law and require Sabbath keeping (Saturday).   Also, have dietary rules.   The following article might be helpful to you as it points out their non-Biblical teachings.   I would avoid getting involved with them.   No use being taught falsehood.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Seventh-Day-Adventism.html

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

I have known quite a few SDAs. I found them amenable and generous. I do not think many of them really follow Ellen white. They seem family oriented and have been marginalised by much hype due to some of their 'beliefs'.The Vatican apparently respects them more than the other reformist churches since at least they stick to the Sabbath. The Vatican went as far as to say  the Pope's edicts are adhered to by the SUN-day worshippers. This has meant that regular church rhetoric often soundly denounces the SDA's on fake grounds. The 'church' has egg on their face.

I found that SDAs have no more weird views than any other of the many ideas held by the reformed churches. If you look at the underlying reasons WHY the regular church speaks out against them, you will find a plethora of rather ugly ideas all centered mostly on Ellen White. The followers of Luther, Calvin and others dislike the SDAs intensely. Compare TULIP to Ellen White and try to see who is the most devious or influential.

The SDAs hold the Tanakh in high regard and though they have a different supernatural take on it all, at least they actually have a take, whereas our 'churches' seem to follow Augustine's odd and heretical ideas and have strip-mined the scriptures of most of its supernatural content.

No doubt there will be many more posts on this subject. It will be interesting to see them all.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Ervin P said:

you might know about what they are like.

I would suggest spending some time using Google to find articles for and against the sea's in order to get a better understanding of them.

I haven't looked at there home web site if it is like others there will be a contact/ask questions section where you can do that.

For me they have two questionable traits.

There insistence on Saturday worship and the value they put on there finders writings, raising it to a level of being equal to scripture.

Majoring in a minor matter like Saturday rather than any other day and the raising of other literature to being along side or more important than s rupture are two marks of a cults.

( Down grading Jesus, isolating from other Christians and requiring obedience to a leader are three other marks, which I am not saying the sea show. )

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

The SDA should be approached cautiously. They have several beliefs that do not a-line with the Word of God. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly I don’t know too much about SDA Adventist’s. I agree with theIr teaching regarding the Sabbath.   I have heard the Ellen White which was one of the founders made some predictions that did not come true. Honestly I have not looked to deep into it, but I would not condemn millions of SDA over one persons mistake.  I believe God has faithful followers that come from many different backgrounds.  We are all learning and growing in our walk with God.  The main thing is our faith and obedience to Messiah everything else is just rubbish. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,351
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Everyone, @Ervin P has a Muslim background.    Don't you think we should warn him against reading books by Ellen White?   Why would we want someone new to the Christian faith to read unScriptural teachings?   And perhaps be led astray by such teachings?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,240
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

Many years ago I spent considerable time visiting with members of a Seventh Day Adventist church, @Ervin P. I will share my testimony with you as well as with others who may read these words.

Behold: when I was homeless they invited me in. When I was hungry they fed me; and when I was lonely, they were my friends. I will never forget both the kindness and charity extended to me, a wanderer and stranger, and for whatever else others might say never let it be said they don't fulfill the two great commandments of our Lord Jesus Christ: 

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He (Jesus) said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”   (Matthew 22:36-40)

Chief among their doctrines is observing the Sabbath day which begins Friday evening and lasts until Saturday evening. Second, the SDA church I spent time with were vegetarians and so they didn't eat meat or other animal products. Ellen White and her writings didn't hold the same weight that the scriptures did. She wasn't cited as the reason why they held to certain customs: it was a conviction they felt the Lord Himself placed upon them. 

I couldn't find fault with that. I will share the following passage of scripture so you might learn the truth of the matter.

Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

The following holds true for all of us, Ervin P: 

If one observes the Sabbath day, let them do so without condemnation.

If one doesn't observe the Sabbath day, let them do so without condemnation. 

As for myself, each new day is the Sabbath for I am in Jesus Christ, who Himself is the Lord of Sabbath. The Lord gave His life to me so I might live abundantly. There is no law against doing that which is good every day.

The same applies to food and drink. As the Son of God said, 

After He (Jesus) called the crowd to Him again, He began saying to them, “Listen to Me, all of you, and understand: there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man. (Mark 7:14-15)

If someone eats nothing but vegetables, let them do so without condemnation. Who are we to judge them?

If someone eats whatever food is available, let them do so without condemnation. There are many to whom food is a luxury which is hard to come by. 

Edited by Marathoner
clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

13 hours ago, missmuffet said:

The SDA should be approached cautiously. They have several beliefs that do not a-line with the Word of God. 

The same can be said of any major doctrinal church basis. Love is the great qualifier..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

We have/had several SDA families in our school and they are all very fine people and wonderful kids. I found that the Sabbath keeping was somewhat strangely applied at times.

• Thumbs Up 1