A question about online relationships

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I was wondering if God (fearfully and reverentially towards His' Name) considers overseas online relationships in terms of boyfriend and girlfriend to be real if they have never met in person? 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 hours ago, TonyT316 said:

I was wondering if God (fearfully and reverentially towards His' Name) considers overseas online relationships in terms of boyfriend and girlfriend to be real if they have never met in person? 

God would see the relationship in terms of what it could lead to, perhaps. If you have such a relationship and are looking for approval, I don't see anything wrong with it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, TonyT316 said:

I think it online relationships could be dangerous. Especially in our world today. 

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

I'm assuming that you mean a relationship of a more romantic nature? I know of several couples that met online and subsequently married. I don't know if any were overseas as that would certainly adds a more difficult element to moving a relationship along. Yes, there are legitimate concerns one has about verifying one's identity.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 9/20/2020 at 1:12 AM, TonyT316 said:

Sure does. I've never met Jesus in person, but love Him and have a relationship with Him, via letters.

Trust Jesus now for eternal life! Call on His Name to forgive you and wash away your sin through His blood shed on the cross!

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

On 9/20/2020 at 1:12 AM, TonyT316 said:

Long distance relationships are a special challenge.  I corresponded with my wife for three years before we got together and got married.  You really do not get to know someone until you meet in person.  We have been married for 23 years now - so it looks like everything is working out. Of course all relationships and marriages have their challenges. We need God's help to overcome and live a life of victory. 

I always prayed if a relationship was not God's will that he would slam the door on the relationship. He always did, but not this time.  

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

19 hours ago, teddyv said:

I don't know if any were overseas as that would certainly adds a more difficult element to moving a relationship along.

Getting a visa and citizenship presents a challenge. My wife never passed her written driving test but she passed her citizenship test. Pretty much shows where her priority is. 

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 9/19/2020 at 10:12 PM, TonyT316 said:

You may not know what penpals are. Whether forum oriented, or email communications, or optimally, live chat, the most you could expect would be a sense of familiarity. Many times to the unfortunate, this can lull a person into a false sense of that feeling one truly knows the other individual. Tragic deceptions have occurred and they do so more often than not. Needless to say, disappointments including potentially a heartbreak run extremely high. Personally, I cannot recommend them. A lot of men get taken for financial gain, and countless women are devastated by phoney Casanovas. 

19 hours ago, teddyv said:

I'm assuming that you mean a relationship of a more romantic nature? I know of several couples that met online and subsequently married. I don't know if any were overseas as that would certainly adds a more difficult element to moving a relationship along. Yes, there are legitimate concerns one has about verifying one's identity.

I'm not saying romance online is impossible. But, it's difficult to ascertain true sincerity. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

44 minutes ago, JohnR7 said:

I always prayed if a relationship was not God's will that he would slam the door on the relationship. He always did, but not this time.  

I had done the same and because the door appeared to remain open, ten years down the road I fully realize I lacked discernment in the original onset. It turned disastrous as a result. This wasn't even an online relationship. I'm happy to know the one you had online worked out so well.