• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1987

For those who don't know, the Apocrypha are books included in the Catholic Bible but not in the Protestant one. I'm certainly undecided about the legitimacy of these books myself so I'm asking what others think. First, who wrote the Apocrypha and should we believe that these are inspired by the Holy Spirit like the other books in the Bible?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/28/1978

For those who don't know, the Apocrypha are books included in the Catholic Bible but not in the Protestant one. I'm certainly undecided about the legitimacy of these books myself so I'm asking what others think. First, who wrote the Apocrypha and should we believe that these are inspired by the Holy Spirit like the other books in the Bible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the apocrypha are left to discernment i think. there are books written which are not in the catholic or christian Bible. they were written by different men throughout history. i have read some and scanned alot. it seems to me that some are good ie. the odes of Solomon, and some seem to me to be more philosophical and far reaching ie the gospel of the birth of Mary. I have a book called 'the lost books of the Bible and the forgotten books of Eden'. this book includes the book about Mary; Protevangelion, 1Infancy, 2Infancy, Christ and Abgarus; Nicodemus; the Apostle's Creed; Laodiceans; Paul and Seneca; Paul and Thecla; 1Clement; 2Clement; Barnabus; and many more. it does not have Maccabees.

the conclusion i came to is that some are interesting, some are far fetched, some may ring true, but i would rather study the Bible. the reason that some of these books are not in either or both the Catholic and Protestant Bibles are because they are of questionable origin and date. any one could write anything the same way that we now have a flood of written theories and philosophies. it is important that our canons be genuine and authentic.

we should use discernment in everything we read and test it with the Word.

amber

Edited by justme7

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Yeah, but uvn was talking about the group of books included by the Roman church as part of the canon, but rejected by the Protestants. The Protestants certainly have the history and opinion of the early Church behind them, and even Rome never fully accepted them until I think the First Vatican Council in 1881.

Historically the Church has always said these books were not considered inspired, but that they were 'profitable to be read.'

The 'Lost Books of the Bible' you've got, are a polyglot and seemingly random collection of very intelligent Christian writings (like the Clementine books you mentioned, which were fully accepted as Scripture in many early churches), and wierd heretical stuff that very few Christians ever seriously accepted.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:blink:

:24:

Edited by hopper

Edited by hopper

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

My thoughts only:

If they were a part of the bible, God would have made sure they were included.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,169
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

THe Washington Post, not being within the cannon, is still something worth reading for information. One just must not put total faith in what is printed. Some is good and some is not. It is the same as with these other books, we just must consider them within the light of the Word and with many other writings as to whether or not to accept the writings.

Just because it is not in the cannon does not necessarily mean it is false. You might have 99% right but because of that 1% not in cannon agreeemt..... trick is to figure out what does not and reject that part, whether it is 100% wrong or 1%.

se

Edited by hopper

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  722
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

The 66 Books of the present-day KJV is the only INSPIRED WORD OF GOD. The Jews had their canon chosen by God before Jesus birth. Jesus never ONCE quoted from or referred to the Apocrypha or questioned the Jewish people about their exclusion of those books. If those books weren't good enough for my Saviour and the Chosen People...it's not good enough for me! God has divinely protected His soveirgn Word and not a tittle will ever pass away or be added unto it.

We have in our hands today the Bible...the Book...finished...nothing to be added, nothing to be taken away. The Apocrypha is heretical, and from the devil himself. Which is why the Catholic Church likes them so much.

God bless.

:crazy:

Edited by hopper