At what point would you quit?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,094
  • Content Per Day:  9.72
  • Days Won:  149

I don't know if any of this will make sense to you. Stuff that's in my mind's library on the subject. You might not think it's relevant.

Suicide is a very multi faceted subject so far as the reasons people think they have for doing it. Sometimes I wonder if those guys jumping off 3000 foot cliffs in squirrel suits with no parachute are just looking for a reason to die and be called brave and a hero. I jumped from 15000 ft. but I did have an airfoil. A calculated risk like jumping a motor bike off a ramp over 50 cars or skiing down a mountain at a 20 degree pitch. Those guys probably have a lot of trouble buying life insurance.

The devil has put thoughts into my head more than once. I knew it was the devil's suggestions and I simply ignored them. I see myself there hanging from a rope and my poor wife finds me. No thanks. It's not happening. I pray for those thoughts to go away and they do. I seen a real picture of a man post suicide after he put a pistol in his mouth. Suicide has been called one of the most self centered things a person can do. If a person decided to accelerate their demise here on this earth, I'm not too sure there aren't some extra headaches involved afterwards, like maybe the demons get to play kick ball with you for awhile. In my studies I have come across plenty of hauntings in locations where there was a suicide. What that really means I don't exactly know. I am led to believe there is a difference of some kind that might be exacerbated by the suicide. So instead of looking at this like it's a "way out" maybe a better way to look at is , yes you're dead but you don't really know after that exactly what goes down. You really don't. Do two angels show up to take you to heaven immediately saying to themselves, "poor dear she's hanged herself". I don't think it's a badge of honor. Whatever emotional problems you had before the suicide might not magically disappear. You'll just be in another place with no hope of ever doing anything above the grass again.

My first exposure to it was my aunt who took her life when I was very young. She had a daughter who has subsequently gone into Satanism and pagan ideologies. Her daughter is a grown woman now that has lots of problems likely tied to mom offing herself. Drugs can make a person do things they would not normally do. She was on medications that might have not been a good fit. She had a pistol and.............

The next was a man I knew in church who always seemed ok. Then I heard the news. He went into the woods with a gun and never came out. I think he might have done something  he couldn't ever forgive himself for. I think I know what it was but I'm not telling here. Yes it was bad, but ALL sin can be forgiven.

More recently I was close to an incident that happened in a college town. There seem to be a few suicides every year at this college. Seems to be common among many colleges. In this case a young man jumped from a parking garage roof. Probably not older than 22. He didn't die right away.  He was calling for help but almost dead when help arrived. So there's a possibility you might not die right away. Could it have been God giving him one last chance?

Sadly this happens more than many people realize. Suicide isn't the answer. 

Lastly I am reminded of the tragic death of Amy Winehouse from drugs overdose. One of her last songs was about not going to rehab and it was a popular song. This was how she really felt( what was in that song). People rave about how wonderful that song is. I think it's pathetic. She was so addicted she was shooting herself between her toes (heroine) and had bloody feet. Had lost a lot of weight and everyone seen it. 

Ending it isn't really ending it. It's only changing it making it worse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Starise said:

Ending it isn't really ending it. It's only changing it making it worse.

Cold be, OR ones voice Will be heard, and A corrupt state Will stand corrected. There is just no way of knowing.. ?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,237
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 11/15/2020 at 12:05 PM, DocVader said:

Losing my family.   That would do it.

I would consider this Scripture

Matt 10:37

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
KJV

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The grief I would feel for the loss of my family has nothing to do with my love for Christ.   I would be overwhelmed by grief and that would send me over.   You can say "I would turn to Jesus" as much as you want, but until you have experienced great loss you don't know what you would do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,333
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, anynmsfmly said:

Being alone someday, With no immediate family-support, And without a finance-savings plan, To keep me protected, to boot. I know this is creeping up on me, Yet i keep, Not-Saving,................ I guess, Because i am currently, Happy ? ? I am,.Currrntly, Half-way, Happy, And half-way not alone,...............

It's not going to last,................

Hi anynmsfmly.   Since you don't have a savings....when you are alone, you would qualify for Section 8 housing.   You would only have to pay a small percentage of your disability check for rent.   Plus you would qualify for other help...free phone, discount on electricity, etc.

If you live in a State with a long waiting list for Section 8, you might get on the list ahead of time.   I ran into someone on Section 8....he got a brand new apartment for only a small amount.

1 minute ago, anynmsfmly said:

That would be even worse. I want to stay in a nice part of town. Our house is paid off, But realistically speaking my parents and me should have something smaller without stairs. As long as i live with them, I have a house wherever it is, But i want to stay in a good part of town. Really, Really sketchy parts of town are in section 8. I'd probably be close to all the rioters and looters in section 8, too. My Uncle lives in Section 8. It is not a nice part of town. At all.

Well, here the Section 8 isn't in a bad part of the city.   Maybe some of it is....but not in my area.    One guy got a really nice, brand new apartment, too.

But if your parents leave you their home, you wouldn't qualify for Section 8.   

23 hours ago, anynmsfmly said:

Theyare turning us in to California

Do you mind telling your State?   I guess your parents are still working at their jobs in your city?   If their jobs didn't hold them there, it would be nice for them to move to a better living environment for all of you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 11/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, Leenaa said:

What living hell would make You quit and jump off a rooftop?

I survived NAM, so I doubt there is  anything that would want me to fly without wings.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

I survived NAM, so I doubt there is  anything that would want me to fly without wings.

Proud of you

• This is Worthy 1

17 minutes ago, Josheb said:

"make"? 

Nothing

Nothing would make me jump off a rooftop or otherwise commit suicide. That is always a choice, and a choice by other-than-normal thinking occurring in other-than-normal circumstances.  Depression is probably the highest emotional correlate and that is treatable. We might also separate various categories because a romantic/marital breakup, loss of a body part, loss of a loved one, and terminal illness are all temporary in recovery one way or another. Suicide can very much be understood as  difficulty in coping; one in which ambivalence (two or more sets of competing thoughts and/or emotions) is significant. Because of these things suicide is always a function of choice. 

Should have written  -make you want to- or -make you choose

Edited by Leenaa