• Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,631
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

Luke 1:14 is propaganda?

:emot-crying:

Deliberate misrepresentation of what I said.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,631
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

Or did you mean thank God Jesus was real is propaganda?

SMH

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

I can't wait to decorate. 

unnamed.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, IloveyouGod. said:

Here is my take on Christmas.   

I believe that it is the celebration of the great gift of Jesus Christ.  I believe that it is a celebration of His birth and of his coming to save us from our sins.  I also believe that the giving of presents represents the gift of Jesus.  That is my take.   

What do you mean by "I believe..."?  You make it sound as if "Christmas" has an objective meaning and that you have faith that you have discovered that true meaning.

The fact is that Christ-Mass (old spelling) is a Roman Catholic word, which means "Mass for Christ".  They hold it every year, on the same date.

The  accompanying symbolism for "Christmas" (Yule log, evergreen tree, mistletoe, fairy lights, witching balls, etc.) is not from the Bible (our sole authority for faith and practice). 

The date is not from the Bible. 

The celebrating of any specific date for Christ's birth is not from the Bible.

The giving and receiving of presents to celebrate Christ's birth is not from the Bible (the wise men gave gifts to Christ, not to each other).

The nativity scenes are sentimental schmaltz and nothing like the truth.

In short, if you had to justify "Christmas", from what God has authorised, in the Bible, you would be completely unable to.  It is a mixture of man-made (mostly pagan) traditions, without the slightest scriptural foundation.

The above is not about the hearts of those who choose to celebrate it, but about the objective facts of "Christmas" itself.

Is anyone here interested in the facts, or just in doing your own thing, because you enjoy it, and supporting others to do the same?

Please let no-one say that he is doing it to honour the Lord, because that would be utter hypocrisy, when the Lord has not authorised any such thing, nor has he even told us the date of Christ's birth (although it is possible to work out what it almost certainly was (not in Winter!), based on the Passover lamb details).

Edited by David1701
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,854
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  227
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:emot-hug:

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  0

36 minutes ago, David1701 said:

What do you mean by "I believe..."?  You make it sound as if "Christmas" has an objective meaning and that you have faith that you have discovered that true meaning.

Sorry about the misunderstanding in my word usage, I should have said I think.   I did not mean it in the way you made it sound.  

41 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The fact is that Christ-Mass (old spelling) is a Roman Catholic word, which means "Mass for Christ".  They hold it every year, on the same date.

The  accompanying symbolism for "Christmas" (Yule log, evergreen tree, mistletoe, fairy lights, witching balls, etc.) is not from the Bible (our sole authority for faith and practice).

Okay, about the spelling thing.  I don't even know what half of that stuff is so I am not in a position to talk about those specific things, but about the tree is there any problem you see in decorating a tree for fun with your kids, or with people who have no family?  

46 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The date is not from the Bible. 

The celebrating of any specific date for Christ's birth is not from the Bible.

Does the date itself matter?  

55 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The giving and receiving of presents to celebrate Christ's birth is not from the Bible (the wise men gave gifts to Christ, not to each other).

Does the giving of gifts go against the Bible, and is teaching children to remember Christ every time they are given something bad?

57 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Please let no-one say that he is doing it to honour the Lord, because that would be utter hypocrisy, when the Lord has not authorised any such thing, nor has he even told us the date of Christ's birth (although it is possible to work out what it almost certainly was (not in Winter!), based on the Passover lamb details).

Okay, so my using Christmas as an opportunity to disciple to people is wrong?  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  24,717
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I have decided to call the days of the week Spending Time with People and Exchanging Gifts Day. It has been such a tough year, and it would be really nice to be able just to spend it celebrating the hope that we all have. In a world where there is so much negativity and hatred, it is something I a sure we all need. 

My mother's birthday is on the 17th. + 7 is 24 + 7 is 31.  That makes the last three weeks one big celebration.

What is your favourite carol? mine is Oh Holy Night. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

What is your favourite carol? mine is Oh Holy Night. 

Mine is Oh Come Oh Come Emanuel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Chicken coop2 said:

I will do what I did last year for Christmas.  Be home alone in my cold little room eating spaghetti and chatting with friends in the chat room here. 

I do realize that the Bible doesn't specifically mention spaghetti, and I am sure that there is nothing in it about the internet nor chatrooms. I am just hoping that there are some things not mentioned in the Bible that are not sinful, for example pecan pie.  I might have a slice of that too. 

Are you honestly trying to compare the Internet, spaghetti or eating pecan pie with a worldwide festival, purportedly celebrating the birthday of the Lord?

Edited by Alive
trying to keep this thread nice
  • Thumbs Up 1