• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

42 minutes ago, IloveyouGod. said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding in my word usage, I should have said I think.   I did not mean it in the way you made it sound.  

Okay, about the spelling thing.  I don't even know what half of that stuff is so I am not in a position to talk about those specific things, but about the tree is there any problem you see in decorating a tree for fun with your kids, or with people who have no family?  

Does the date itself matter?  

Does the giving of gifts go against the Bible, and is teaching children to remember Christ every time they are given something bad?

Okay, so my using Christmas as an opportunity to disciple to people is wrong?  

Straw men, red herrings, putting words in my mouth...

This is an excellent example of how NOT to discuss a matter.

• Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Chicken coop2 said:

I will do what I did last year for Christmas.  Be home alone in my cold little room eating spaghetti and chatting with friends in the chat room here. 

I do realize that the Bible doesn't specifically mention spaghetti, and I am sure that there is nothing in it about the internet nor chatrooms. I am just hoping that there are some things not mentioned in the Bible that are not sinful, for example pecan pie.  I might have a slice of that too. 

You're kind of making me want spaghetti at this point. I will also be using the internet to check in with my friends here and other places. 

I think that celebrating Christmas is fine as long as we recognize it for what it is, a day that we celebrate the birth of our Savior. 

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

If you feel like you shouldn't celebrate, that is a PERSONAL conviction and something that you shouldn't expect others to follow. The Holy Spirit directs each of us and we follow that direction. It's an error on our part to place our personal convictions on others. 

1 hour ago, Henry_iain said:

What is your favourite carol? mine is Oh Holy Night. 

Silent Night 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Straw men, red herrings, putting words in my mouth...

Perhaps to you they are red herrings, but I defended my point and asked you some questions that I was hoping you would be so kind to have answered.  I did not put words in your mouth.  On the first line, I was just stating my realization that from your perspective it would read differently than from mine, that is it.    

Second line, I was asking you to think something through, does in reality the date truly matter?  Like really is it super important?  

Next line, I am stating a point, and also pointing out that you do not have all the facts about why I celebrate Christmas.   Same thing with the last line.   

I am just going to hope that this was a misunderstanding.   

In the long run, it is each person's own decision to celebrate Christmas or not simple as that.   

Ps.  Please do not call people pathetic, that is mean and nasty, and he was making a very good point.  

God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

If it were entirely my will--I would ban these threads because they will inevitably turn to something undesirable.

Please be nice until its time to not be nice.

How will we know that? I will tell you when.

:-)

C'mon folks make yer points and leave it at that.

Please--its busy enough here without having to moderate this nonsense.

Thank you

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  24,829
  • Content Per Day:  5.78
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I completely agree with Alive.

I have decided to start a new thread about Christmas with a totally different focus. This is for those who do like Christmas and intend to celebrate it one way or another. I hope it will be uplifting. Here is the link . Please read carefully before you post in it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

The deception of Protestant Christianity is in effect.

Check out the "Catholic Encyclopedia" regarding the meaning of the word "Christmas".

Note the implication of your phrase "merry Christmas".

39 minutes ago, IloveyouGod. said:

Perhaps to you they are red herrings, but I defended my point and asked you some questions that I was hoping you would be so kind to have answered.  I did not put words in your mouth.  On the first line, I was just stating my realization that from your perspective it would read differently than from mine, that is it.    

Second line, I was asking you to think something through, does in reality the date truly matter?  Like really is it super important?  

Next line, I am stating a point, and also pointing out that you do not have all the facts about why I celebrate Christmas.   Same thing with the last line.   

I am just going to hope that this was a misunderstanding.   

In the long run, it is each person's own decision to celebrate Christmas or not simple as that.   

Ps.  Please do not call people pathetic, that is mean and nasty, and he was making a very good point.  

God bless.

Does the date matter?  Only if the truth matters.

I did not call anyone pathetic.  It was the argument that was pathetic, not the person.  That really should have been obvious.

It was also a play on words, since pathos is about the fall of the great to the lowly and that poster was talking about his lowly celebration.

Since you misrepresented what I posted, are you now going to apologise for saying that I called someone "pathetic" and was "mean and nasty", or are you going to demonstrate that the shoe is on the other foot?

Does the giving of gifts go against the Bible, and is teaching children to remember Christ every time they are given something bad?

This is a red herring.  It has nothing whatever to do with what I posted.  Also, the way the question is worded implies that I was saying that teaching children to remember Christ every time they are given something is bad, which is not remotely close to the truth.

Here's a straw man.  This is nothing like what I posted.  You are putting words in my mouth, as I rightly said, and implying that I'm against using the festival as an opportunity to disciple people.

Why did you do the above and why did you then deny doing it, trying to make out that I was the one in the wrong?  It's quite disgraceful.

• Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

I hesitated for quite a while, before posting in this thread, because I've discovered that many Christians who celebrate "Christmas" become VERY unpleasant, when challenged with facts about it.  They use every trick in the book to try to make the challenger look like the one in the wrong, patting each other on the flesh, in congratulation, in the process.

This has demonstrated that my pattern recognition was accurate, so I'm going to leave you to it.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  21

We should all remember to reply in the love of Christ, even when we disagree. There is no reason to respond to another believer with ugliness or unnecessary attitude. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39

34 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Does the date matter?  Only if the truth matters.

I did not call anyone pathetic.  It was the argument that was pathetic, not the person.  That really should have been obvious.

It was also a play on words, since pathos is about the fall of the great to the lowly and that poster was talking about his lowly celebration.

Since you misrepresented what I posted, are you now going to apologise for saying that I called someone "pathetic" and was "mean and nasty", or are you going to demonstrate that the shoe is on the other foot?

This is a red herring.  It has nothing whatever to do with what I posted.  Also, the way the question is worded implies that I was saying that teaching children to remember Christ every time they are given something is bad, which is not remotely close to the truth.

Here's a straw man.  This is nothing like what I posted.  You are putting words in my mouth, as I rightly said, and implying that I'm against using the festival as an opportunity to disciple people.

Why did you do the above and why did you then deny doing it, trying to make out that I was the one in the wrong?  It's quite disgraceful.

Okay,

lets start with the date, you said that date was not in the Bible so I asked you if that really matters, you are correct that only  the truth matters.  

Perhaps you did not mean to call someone pathetic but from my perspective as the reader it reads like you are calling them pathetic, but in calling there story pathetic it reads like you are calling them pathetic.   I did not misrepresent what you posted, I only misunderstood an honest mistake, and I am sorry about that please forgive me.   

39 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Sorry about the miswording on that one, in some ways it is, it says in the Bible that we are not only to love others, but our duty as parents is to raise a child up in the way he should go, one of the ways one could do that is through teaching them to remember Christ.  That also quotes back to my original post.  

Please let no-one say that he is doing it to honour the Lord, because that would be utter hypocrisy, when the Lord has not authorised any such thing, nor has he even told us the date of Christ's birth (although it is possible to work out what it almost certainly was (not in Winter!), based on the Passover lamb details). 

That is what the last thing is refering to.  

46 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I did no such thing, that was not my intent, I did not try to make you out as wrong, I was just explaining my argument, my goal was not to attach you in any way.  

God bless you, and I will now be bowing out of this thread before anyone feelings are hurt more than they already are. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1