• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have a question and purposely placed it in 'General Discussion' because I don't mean this to be an eschatological discussion.

Postulate; the destruction of the city and Herodian temple is the most significant event besides 'Christ' to both Jewish and Christians communities of the time period.

Why was it not mentioned in any books of the New Testament scriptures? Or was it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

The conjecture that seems most reasonable to me is an earlier dating for some of the NT books.   With a post 70AD dating of the synoptic gospels, it seems surprising that the fulfillment of Jesus' words about the Temple and the fall of Jerusalem are not explicitly mentioned.  A post 70AD date for Hebrews too begs the question of why there is no mention of the physical fall of the Temple and cessation of sacrifices when that would be closely related to some of the themes of that book.  Then of course in many books there is simply no natural place mention of it might occur.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 hours ago, Alive said:

I have a question and purposely placed it in 'General Discussion' because I don't mean this to be an eschatological discussion.

Postulate; the destruction of the city and Herodian temple is the most significant event besides 'Christ' to both Jewish and Christians communities of the time period.

Why was it not mentioned in any books of the New Testament scriptures? Or was it?

Without looking up exactly when the destruction occurred, and without knowing exactly when the various books of the New Testament were written, I might say the New Testament was written before the destruction. Or maybe the people who decided on the New Testament canon (during the 4th century) just didn't think it fit in with the Gospel of Jesus.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Paul wrote his letters be4 being martyred by the Roman be4 70 AD n other apostles didnt seem to live until that time except John in Patmos.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Picture.png.957764a646674ffcd3d89334301d63a7.png