Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

“So Jacob remained all by himself. Then a man wrestled with him until the break of dawn.”

• Genesis 32:25, Tree of Life Version

On the literal level, Jacob wrestled with an ish (man) on the night before his encounter with Israel. However, the word may also imply “angel,” as may be understood from various other usages, as well as the specific context used here. For example, the three angels who visited Abraham are described as enosh, a derivative of ish, meaning “men” (Genesis 18:2) Also, the “man of G’d,” who appeared to the parents of Shimson (Samson) is also described as a malach (angel) (Judges 13:3, 6, and 13).

In the context of Jacob’s wrestling match, the man is an angel who Jacob asks to bless him. The angel responds, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but rather Israel, for you have struggled with G’d and with men, and have overcome” (Genesis 32:27, TLV). “Because thou art magnified with the angels of the L’rd and with the mighty” (Targum Jonathan, sefaria.org). His new name reflects a turning point from “supplanter,” the meaning of Yaakov, to his new name Israel that represents "noble conduct," according to Rashi (sefaria.org).

So, the name Yaakov represents his deceit in reappropriating the blessing of the firstborn from Esau. While the name Israel has to do with the mature way that Jacob confronts Esau. It is as if G’d recognizes Jacob’s extra efforts made to bring about a reconciliation with Esau, despite the differences of the past. This may be implied, when the angel conveys a blessing to Jacob (Genesis 32:30). Later, G'd Himself blesses Jacob, "Your name was Jacob. No longer will your name be Jacob, for your name will be Israel" (Genesis 35:10, TLV).

“Yes, he wrestled with the angel, and won.”

• Hosea 12:5, Tree of Life Version

"When He saw that He [the Angel] had not overcome him, He struck the socket of his hip, so He dislocated the socket of Jacob's hip, when He wrestled with him" (Genesis 32:26, TLV). The Rashbam comments that this was necessary because Jacob had in mind to flee from Esau, even though he was promised protection by G’d (sefaria.org). Thus, within this context the angel that was sent to wrestle with Jacob, was for the sake of ensuring Jacob’s mission would continue, inasmuch that he would meet with Esau.

The Rashbam further comments, that “we find the same thing with all those who go on the road contrary to the wishes of the Holy One, blessed be He, or who refuse to go, that they are punished” (commentary, Genesis 32:29, sefaria.org). One example given by Rashbam pertains to Moses, who initially ask G’d to send someone else instead of him (Exodus 4:13). As a result of Moshe’s hesitance, G’d became angry at him. Also, the prophet Yonah refused at first to call the Ninevites to repentance. He tried to flee on a ship; yet, wound up being cast overboard and swallowed by a whale.

If Jacob may have been hesitant to follow through on his mission, how much moreso can the same be said of us? Comparatively speaking, we are not on his madreiga (level). Yet, our trust the L’RD must carry us through the challenges in our lives, as we follow through on our godly convictions. Jacob followed through, despite his initial hesitance, serving as a positive example. Despite the challenges in our lives, we are encouraged to have endurance, and persist until the end. “My righteous one shall live by emunah [faith]; and if he shrinks back, My soul takes no pleasure in him” (Hebrews 20:38, Tree of Life Version).

Edited by Shimon

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

17 hours ago, Shimon said:

In the context of Jacob’s wrestling match, the man is an angel who Jacob asks to bless him. The angel responds, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but rather Israel, for you have struggled with G’d and with men, and have overcome”

Another view of this is  Yahweh is capable of projecting himself through other beings. He sometimes represents Himself through angels. I am prone to think this was God who temporarily projected himself. The fact that Jacob gained an advantage over him as is portrayed in the scriptures leads me to believe it wasn't Yahweh or an angel that allowed him to win. This is possible if the being described as an angel was in a purely physical form temporarily or decided not to use anything but their physical power.

I have some trouble believing an angel can bless anyone without permission. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

I believe what I read in the Bible, and the Bible shows that God has a body with bodily parts, hands, feet, eyes, head, mouth, hair, that He speaks, listens, has a heart, eats food, rides horses, rides in chariots, and travels from place to place, etc. I have listed many Scriptures which shows this and many more can be found.

God has a spirit body with bodily parts like a man. This is proved by hundreds of Scriptures that do not need interpretation. God is a Spirit being, infinat, eternal, immutable, self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, invisible, impartial, immortal, absolutely holy, full of wisdom, full of knowledge, and just in all things. God is known in Scripture by over two hundred names. He is describes as being like any other person as to having a body, soul, and spirit (Job 13:8; Heb. 1:3; Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-7). He is a spirit being with a body (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6, 9-19, Exodus 24:11; Gen. 18' 32:24-32; Ezek. 1:26-28; Acts 7:54-59; Rev. 4:2-4; 5:1, 5-7; 22:4-5); shape (John 5:37); form (Phil. 2:5-7, same Greek word as in Mark 16:12, which refers to bodily form); and an image and likeness of a man (Gen. 1:26; 9:6; Ezek. 1:26-28; 1 Cor. 11:7; Jas. 3:9; Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6). Note, the difference between a spirit body and a flesh and blood body is substance. Spirit is an eternal substance, flesh and blood is temporal. And we are to become glorified flesh and blood as Jesus is.

God has a heart (Gen. 6:6; 8:21); he has hands and fingers (Exod. 31:18; Psalms 8:3-6; Rev. 5:1, 6-7); Nostrils (Ps. 18:8); mouth (Num. 12:8); lips and a tongue (Isa. 30:27; feet (Ezek. 1:27; Exodus 24:10); eyes, eyelids, sight (Ps. 11:4; 18:24; 33:18); voice (Ps. 29; Rev. 10:3-4; Gen. 1); breath (Gen. 2:70; ears (Ps. 18:6); head, hair, face, arms (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-19; Rev. 5:1; loins (Ezek. 1:26:28; 8:1-4); bodily presence (Gen. 3:8; 18:1-22; Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7; Exodus 24:10-11); and many other bodily parts as required by Him to be a person with a body.

Jacob saw God FACE TO FACE and lived! "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved" (Gen. 32:30).

Abraham made a dinner for God and two angels and they ate food (Gen. 18). Moses talked with God face to face (Exodus 33:11-23). Seventy four elders had a banquet with God in Sinai (Exodus 24:9-11). Joshua and all Israel saw God with a sword in His hand (Josh. 5:13-15).

Gidion (Judg. 6:11-23), Manoah and wife (Judg. 13:3-23), David (1 Chron. 21:16-17), Job (42:5), Isaiah (6:1-13), Amos (9:1), and others saw God standing on the ground, sitting on thrones, and having a body with bodily parts like a man. Ezekiel saw God on a chariot and described Him as having an "appearance of a man" with loins and the upper and lower parts of a body like a man (Ezek 1:26-28; 10:1, 20; 40:3). Daniel saw both God the Father and the Son of man as two separate beiongs at the same time and at the same place. God was on a throne, and had on white cloths, and His hair was white. The Son of man also had a body, had cloths on, and had hair on His head (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6). Stephen saw both God and Christ at the same time and place with the same eyes (Acts 7:56-59).

God goes from place to place just like any one else (Gen. 3:8; 11:5; 18:1-22, 33; 19:24; 32:24-32; 35:13; Zech. 14:5; Titus 2:13). God is omnipresent but not omnibody, that is His presence can be felt everywhere but His body is not everywhere. God wears cloths (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-19; God eats food (Gen. 18:1-22; Exodus 24:11).

There is not one Scripture in the Bible which states that God is intangible, immaterial, without a body, or bodily parts, and pasions except John 4:24, "God is a spirit," and this certainly does not teach that He is without a body.

Paul speaks of the human flesh and bone bodies in the resurrection as being "Spiritual" (1 Cor. 15:42-44), like unto Christs glorious body (Luke 24:39; Phil. 3:20-21); so if human bodies that become spiritualized are still material and tangible, then certianly God and other spirits have bodies just as real and still be spirit beings. John 4:24 is a statement of fact that God is a Spirit, but it does not define or analyze a spirit.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Another view of this is  Yahweh is capable of projecting himself through other beings. He sometimes represents Himself through angels. I am prone to think this was God who temporarily projected himself. The fact that Jacob gained an advantage over him as is portrayed in the scriptures leads me to believe it wasn't Yahweh or an angel that allowed him to win. This is possible if the being described as an angel was in a purely physical form temporarily or decided not to use anything but their physical power.

I have some trouble believing an angel can bless anyone without permission. 

Thank you for your comment. Ramban (Nachmanides) comments that the angel blessed Jacob, because he had been commanded by G-d to bless him; the angel had no independent power to bless him.

Edited by Shimon
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

In Hebrew theology the 'two persons of the Godhead' was taught until the second century. The 'second Yahweh' was well recognized. The preincarnate WORD was seen often in the Tanakh. Jeremiah shows that an anthropomorphic person 'touched my mouth' and Gideon shows the two at the same time plus the burning bush episode. Read about Jacob pronouncing blessings on the boys - and then, 'may He bless these lads'. Samuel shows a person (the WORD) appeared to him and stood by him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

11 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

In Hebrew theology the 'two persons of the Godhead' was taught until the second century. The 'second Yahweh' was well recognized. The preincarnate WORD was seen often in the Tanakh. Jeremiah shows that an anthropomorphic person 'touched my mouth' and Gideon shows the two at the same time plus the burning bush episode. Read about Jacob pronouncing blessings on the boys - and then, 'may He bless these lads'. Samuel shows a person (the WORD) appeared to him and stood by him.

This was my original point.I'm glad you mentioned this. God can be in two places at the same time. There are various examples of this in scripture. I don't believe God is contained or restricted in any way.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

22 hours ago, Shimon said:

Thank you for your comment. Ramban (Nachmanides) comments that the angel blessed Jacob, because he had been commanded by G-d to bless him; the angel had no independent power to bless him.

Since the 'Angelos' was actually a Person of the Godhead, His actions were in keeping with the Father's or the Ancient of Days. He is a definite Person and of One Substance with the Father, and He is also distinct and separate. You have to understand the 'Name' theology as well to grasp a lot of the Tanakh references to the 'Second Yahweh' figure which is well displayed in a multitude of texts. In the new testament He (Yeshua/The Word) is described as 'the Express Image of the Father'.

• Thumbs Up 1