IGNORED

Sin-Conscience? Beware— It Could Show Lack Of Faith!

Blood Bought 1953

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  5

@Blood Bought 1953 ok then then it appears I misunderstood you. My apologies.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88

32 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

No need to apologize..... I just hope it was a blessing to you in some small way , shape or form....God bless you....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

47 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50 “This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

GRACE  PLUS  NOTHING  ---  SAYS  WHO 

JOHN 1:17  for the law was given by moses ---BUT  GRACE  AND  TRUTH  CAME  BY  JESUS  CHRIST---

1 CORINTHIANS 3:9  for we are laborers together with  GOD  you are  GODS  husbandry you are  GODS  building

--3:10-- according to the grace of  GOD  which is given unto me as a wise masterbuilder I have laid the foundation and another buildeth thereon but let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon 

*******1 JOHN 1:4  I  HAVE  NO  GREATER  JOY  THAN  TO  HEAR  THAT  MY  CHILDREN  WALK  IN  TRUTH*******

MATTHEW 7:15  BEWARE  OF  FALSE  PROPHETS  WHICH  COME  TO  YOU  IN  SHEEPS  CLOTHING  BUT  INWARDLY  THEY  ARE  RAVENING  WOLVES  

TITUS 2:11  for the grace of  GOD  that bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men   --2:12-- teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live sberly righteously and godly --IN  THIS  PRESENT  WORLD--

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Even though I liked the OP I thought it leaned heavily toward  making it seem everything is "ok" and we have no responsibility.

No he/or she didn't expressly say that. Just seemed to tip that way more and say less about personal responsibilty. I knew what he was saying in a nutshell.

• Another concern of mine was a statement I've heard many times by well meaning Christians, that when we get to heaven God will look past everything and give us the approval stamp. This is a yes and no answer. YES He will do that. No He doesn't disregard what we've been doing. We will be judged and rewarded based on it. Some will enter"as by fire" other will enter with "Well done good and faithful servant". Both are servants.Some are diligent. Others are lax.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07

@Starise thank you for this. I am new here so I don’t know people well enough yet to always understand where they are coming from, but in time I am sure I will. The last thing I want to do is be negative on posts or pick fights. I just have to learn people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

5 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

@Starise thank you for this. I am new here so I don’t know people well enough yet to always understand where they are coming from, but in time I am sure I will. The last thing I want to do is be negative on posts or pick fights. I just have to learn people. 

No worries. Misunderstanding happen commonly using this type of communication. Speaking of, if I misspell a word and need to go back to correct itI get a little blue dot instead of my normal curor. Does anyone know how to stop it? See pic.

pic4.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

It's all a matter of trusting the Lord. We are men living in this flesh, toiling in this world, undergoing trial and tribulation, suffering from various afflictions, and see things darkly knowing only in part. "Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding" is simple to grasp but monumentally difficult for some to broach especially where matters of our own judgment are concerned. @Blood Bought 1953 understands our fallibility and I do as well, a lesson which the Lord Himself imparted to me over the course of many trials and yes, tribulation over the years. 

I was stubborn, hard-headed, and thought I knew everything. My fall was spectacular and so I learned that we are powerless to save ourselves. We're men and because our frame is dust, our Father sent His only Son so we might be redeemed from the estate we find ourselves thrust into from our mother's womb. Jesus Christ is literally the way, the truth and the life. We aren't. Our father of the flesh, Adam, demonstrated that rather well.   

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Let's look at conscience.

Question: "What is the conscience?"

Answer: 
The conscience is defined as that part of the human psyche that induces mental anguish and feelings of guilt when we violate it and feelings of pleasure and well-being when our actions, thoughts and words are in conformity to our value systems. The Greek word translated “conscience” in all New Testament references is suneidēsis, meaning “moral awareness” or “moral consciousness.” The conscience reacts when one’s actions, thoughts, and words conform to, or are contrary to, a standard of right and wrong.

There is no Hebrew term in the Old Testament equivalent to suneidēsis in the New Testament. The lack of a Hebrew word for “conscience” may be due to the Jewish worldview, which was communal rather than individual. The Hebrew considered himself as a member of a covenant community that related corporately to God and His laws, rather than as an individual. In other words, the Hebrew was confident in his own position before God if the Hebrew nation as a whole was in good fellowship with Him.

The New Testament concept of conscience is more individual in nature and involves three major truths. First, conscience is a God-given capacity for human beings to exercise self-evaluation. Paul refers several times to his own conscience being “good” or “clear” (Acts 23:1; 24:16; 1 Corinthians 4:4). Paul examined his own words and deeds and found them to be in accordance with his morals and value system, which were, of course, based on God’s standards. His conscience verified the integrity of his heart.

Second, the New Testament portrays the conscience as a witness to something. Paul says the Gentiles have consciences that bear witness to the presence of the law of God written on their hearts, even though they did not have the Mosaic Law (Romans 2:14-15). He also appeals to his own conscience as a witness that he speaks the truth (Romans 9:1) and that he has conducted himself in holiness and sincerity in his dealings with men (2 Corinthians 1:12). He also says that his conscience tells him his actions are apparent to both God and the witness of other men’s consciences (2 Corinthians 5:11).

Third, the conscience is a servant of the individual’s value system. An immature or weak value system produces a weak conscience, while a fully informed value system produces a strong sense of right and wrong. In the Christian life, one’s conscience can be driven by an inadequate understanding of scriptural truths and can produce feelings of guilt and shame disproportionate to the issues at hand. Maturing in the faith strengthens the conscience.

This last function of the conscience is what Paul addresses in his instructions regarding eating food sacrificed to idols. He makes the case that, since idols are not real gods, it makes no difference if food has been sacrificed to them or not. But some in the Corinthian church were weak in their understanding and believed that such gods really existed. These immature believers were horrified at the thought of eating food sacrificed to the gods, because their consciences were informed by erroneous prejudices and superstitious views. Therefore, Paul encourages those more mature in their understanding not to exercise their freedom to eat if it would cause the consciences of their weaker brothers to condemn their actions. The lesson here is that, if our consciences are clear because of mature faith and understanding, we are not to cause those with weaker consciences to stumble by exercising the freedom that comes with a stronger conscience.

Another reference to conscience in the New Testament is to a conscience that is “seared” or rendered insensitive as though it had been cauterized with a hot iron (1 Timothy 4:1-2). Such a conscience is hardened and calloused, no longer feeling anything. A person with a seared conscience no longer listens to its promptings, and he can sin with abandon, delude himself into thinking all is well with his soul, and treat others insensitively and without compassion.

As Christians, we are to keep our consciences clear by obeying God and keeping our relationship with Him in good standing. We do this by the application of His Word, renewing and softening our hearts continually. We consider those whose consciences are weak, treating them with Christian love and compassion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, missmuffet said:

Let's look at conscience.

Question: "What is the conscience?"

Answer: 
The conscience is defined as that part of the human psyche that induces mental anguish and feelings of guilt when we violate it and feelings of pleasure and well-being when our actions, thoughts and words are in conformity to our value systems. The Greek word translated “conscience” in all New Testament references is suneidēsis, meaning “moral awareness” or “moral consciousness.” The conscience reacts when one’s actions, thoughts, and words conform to, or are contrary to, a standard of right and wrong.

There is no Hebrew term in the Old Testament equivalent to suneidēsis in the New Testament. The lack of a Hebrew word for “conscience” may be due to the Jewish worldview, which was communal rather than individual. The Hebrew considered himself as a member of a covenant community that related corporately to God and His laws, rather than as an individual. In other words, the Hebrew was confident in his own position before God if the Hebrew nation as a whole was in good fellowship with Him.

The New Testament concept of conscience is more individual in nature and involves three major truths. First, conscience is a God-given capacity for human beings to exercise self-evaluation. Paul refers several times to his own conscience being “good” or “clear” (Acts 23:1; 24:16; 1 Corinthians 4:4). Paul examined his own words and deeds and found them to be in accordance with his morals and value system, which were, of course, based on God’s standards. His conscience verified the integrity of his heart.

Second, the New Testament portrays the conscience as a witness to something. Paul says the Gentiles have consciences that bear witness to the presence of the law of God written on their hearts, even though they did not have the Mosaic Law (Romans 2:14-15). He also appeals to his own conscience as a witness that he speaks the truth (Romans 9:1) and that he has conducted himself in holiness and sincerity in his dealings with men (2 Corinthians 1:12). He also says that his conscience tells him his actions are apparent to both God and the witness of other men’s consciences (2 Corinthians 5:11).

Third, the conscience is a servant of the individual’s value system. An immature or weak value system produces a weak conscience, while a fully informed value system produces a strong sense of right and wrong. In the Christian life, one’s conscience can be driven by an inadequate understanding of scriptural truths and can produce feelings of guilt and shame disproportionate to the issues at hand. Maturing in the faith strengthens the conscience.

This last function of the conscience is what Paul addresses in his instructions regarding eating food sacrificed to idols. He makes the case that, since idols are not real gods, it makes no difference if food has been sacrificed to them or not. But some in the Corinthian church were weak in their understanding and believed that such gods really existed. These immature believers were horrified at the thought of eating food sacrificed to the gods, because their consciences were informed by erroneous prejudices and superstitious views. Therefore, Paul encourages those more mature in their understanding not to exercise their freedom to eat if it would cause the consciences of their weaker brothers to condemn their actions. The lesson here is that, if our consciences are clear because of mature faith and understanding, we are not to cause those with weaker consciences to stumble by exercising the freedom that comes with a stronger conscience.

Another reference to conscience in the New Testament is to a conscience that is “seared” or rendered insensitive as though it had been cauterized with a hot iron (1 Timothy 4:1-2). Such a conscience is hardened and calloused, no longer feeling anything. A person with a seared conscience no longer listens to its promptings, and he can sin with abandon, delude himself into thinking all is well with his soul, and treat others insensitively and without compassion.

As Christians, we are to keep our consciences clear by obeying God and keeping our relationship with Him in good standing. We do this by the application of His Word, renewing and softening our hearts continually. We consider those whose consciences are weak, treating them with Christian love and compassion.

https://www.gotquestions.org/conscience.html

• Thumbs Up 1