IGNORED

Suggestions for Biblical topical reference books?

Workman

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Looking for recommendations for Bible-based topical reference books.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a Bible, like Nave's, but could include something in encyclopedic form.  Forget the online stuff, I have a hard time staying focused online, plus I get VDT headaches.  Besides, I'm old school, prefer hard-copy reference books or sets of books.

So, besides Nave's, what other topic-based biblical reference books have others used and liked?  (I don't dislike Nave's, it's on my list, but just wondering what else is out there that others like w/o having to spend hours online searching).

Edited by Workman
Typos

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

27 minutes ago, Workman said:

Looking for recommendations for a Bible-based topical reference books.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a Bible, like Nave's, but could include something in encyclopedic form.  Forget the online stuff, I have a hard time staying focused online, add to that I get VDT headaches.  Besides, I'm old school, prefer hard-copy references books or sets of books.

So, besides Nave's, what other topic-based biblical reference books have others used and liked?  (I don't dislike Nave's, it's on my list, but just wondering what else is out there that others like w/o having to spend hours online searching).

Hi Workman,

I have both a hard copy and digital "Vines Expository Dictionary of the NT". As the copyright for this is not in the Public Domain the digital copy is not a free download but is on offer with all the other E-sword stuff, some of which is free.

I use both copies of Vines all the time and find the cross-references spot on. Here's an example from my digital "Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary Of NT Words" (1), and a comparison of the same entry with my digital "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia" (2). Both are available in hard copy.

(1) Assembly 

1. ekklesia (G1577), from ek, "out of," and klesis, "a calling" (kaleo, "to call"), was used among the Greeks of a body of citizens "gathered" to discuss the affairs of state, Act_19:39. In the Sept. it is used to designate the "gathering" of Israel, summoned for any definite purpose, or a "gathering" regarded as representative of the whole nation. In Act_7:38 it is used of Israel; in Act_19:32, Act_19:41, of a riotous mob. It has two applications to companies of Christians, (a) to the whole company of the redeemed throughout the present era, the company of which Christ said, "I will build My Church," Mat_16:18, and which is further described as "the Church which is His Body," Eph_1:22; Eph_5:23, (b) in the singular number (e.g., Mat_18:17, RV marg., "congregation"), to a company consisting of professed believers, e.g., Act_20:28; 1Co_1:2; Gal_1:13; 1Th_1:1; 2Th_1:1; 1Ti_3:5, and in the plural, with reference to churches in a district.
There is an apparent exception in the RV of Act_9:31, where, while the KJV has "churches," the singular seems to point to a district; but the reference is clearly to the church as it was in Jerusalem, from which it had just been scattered, Act_8:1. Again, in Rom_16:23, that Gaius was the host of "the whole church," simply suggests that the "assembly" in Corinth had been accustomed to meet in his house, where also Paul was entertained. See CHURCH.

2. paneguris (G3831), from pan, "all," and agora, "any kind of assembly," denoted, among the Greeks, an assembly of the people in contrast to the council of national leaders, or a "gathering" of the people in honor of a god, or for some public festival, such as the Olympic games. The word is used in Heb_12:23, coupled with the word "church," as applied to all believers who form the body of Christ.

3. plethos (G4128), "a multitude, the whole number," is translated "assembly" in Act_23:7, RV. See BUNDLE, COMPANY, MULTITUDE.
Note: For sunagoge, see ASSEMBLE, Note (2).

(2) Assembly
a-sem´blı̄ (קהל, ḳāhāl; ἐκκλησία, ekklēsı́a): The common term for a meeting of the people called together by a crier. It has reference therefore to any gathering of the people called for any purpose whatsoever (Exo_12:6; Psa_22:16 the King James Version; Psa_89:7 the King James Version; Act_19:32, Act_19:41). The solemn assemblies of the Jews were their feasts or religious gatherings of any kind (Isa_1:13). The word panḗguris, “a general festal assembly” (Heb_12:23), is transferred from the congregation of the people of Israel to the Christian church of which the congregation of Israel was a figure. In the same passage, ekklēsı́a has the sense of calling, summoning. In classical Greek ekklēsı́a was the name for the body of free citizens summoned by a herald. In this sense the church calls all the world to become identified with it. It denotes the whole body of believers, all who are called. Or it may refer to a particular congregation or local church (sunagṓgē, “synagogue” Jam_2:2 the Revised Version, margin). See CALLED; CHURCH; CONGREGATION.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  777
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,954
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Arithmetic of God by Don Kistler.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

Try Michael Heiser's UNSEEN REALM and REVERSING HERMON.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59

7 hours ago, Workman said:

Looking for recommendations for a Bible-based topical reference books.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a Bible, like Nave's, but could include something in encyclopedic form.  Forget the online stuff, I have a hard time staying focused online, add to that I get VDT headaches.  Besides, I'm old school, prefer hard-copy references books or sets of books.

I can't speak to them from personal experience, but Herbert Lockyer wrote a number of systematic books such as "All the Apostles of the Bible", "All the Prayers of the Bible", "All the Parables of the Bible", etc.  

You could always try to check out a couple of these via a local public library inter-library loan program to try them out before buying.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

10 hours ago, Workman said:

Let's get that credit card out and bank loan preapproved shall we :D

I've found the following very helpful, and they don't depend on a computer or electricity (I'm old fashioned too!)

• American Dictionary of the English Language ~ Noah Webster 1828
  • The Zondervan - Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 volume set)
  • The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 volume set)
  • A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs ~ Bercot
  • Strong's Complete Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
  • Matthew Henrys Commentaries (6 volume set)
  • Zondervan Compact Bible Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of the Proper Names ~ J.B. Jackson (Hebrew names have significant meanings - very helpful)
  • Systematic Theology ~ Grudem 
  • Willmington's Guide to the Bible ~ Tyndale 
  • The Complete Word Study (New Testament and Old Testament) ~ Zodhiates  [Much better than Strong's]
Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Great suggestions!  I have one of those on your list, the Matthew Henry Commentary set, love it!  I spent some time to find the older set from MacDonald Publishing.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Workman said:

Great suggestions!  I have one of those on your list, the Matthew Henry Commentary set, love it!  I spent some time to find the older set from MacDonald Publishing.

If you are inclined towards the history of the Bible, Israel, and the various associated nations, you may find "The New Complete Works of Josephus", translated by William Whiston with commentary by Paul L. Maier, a source of enrichment, as indeed I do.

Josephus.jpg.90f693f162fdda3f5fe4a35f3e5e4072.jpg

5 hours ago, Workman said:

Yes, they are a great resource but... At my age, the set I have has really small type print. Can still read it but, get eye strain if I'm in it too long. 

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

If you are inclined towards the history of the Bible, Israel, and the various associated nations, you may find "The New Complete Works of Josephus", translated by William Whiston with commentary by Paul L. Maier, a source of enrichment, as indeed I do.

Josephus.jpg.90f693f162fdda3f5fe4a35f3e5e4072.jpg

I should have mentioned that also. My copy is translated by William Whiston also, but with no commentary; I didn't realize they had one out with commentary, or I would have purchased that one [Sixteenth printing - August 2001].

It's a wealth of accurate historical information that fills in many blanks our Bible doesn't go into detail about. In addition; it helps greatly getting into the Jewish mind, what they knew, read, thought and believed. That helps considerably when something is mentioned in the Bible that goes over our heads, but the Jews knew exactly what an apostle or orator was mentioning or referring to. 

• Well Said! 1