• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

19 hours ago, walla299 said:

I don't see an issue with DNA testing from a Biblical standpoint, and I don't see anything that would make it "wrong" for a believer to get a DNA test especially if its for medical purposes.

There are some things to consider if someone is thinking about testing to learn about their ancestry, etc.

1. How accurate is this particular DNA test?

There are different types of tests and their accuracy can vary and this will affect the results you get in unexpected ways.

2. How much do you really want to know about your (genetic) past? 

There have been some articles over the last few years describing folks who have gotten very unexpected results from a DNA test. Some have found out they were not related to their parents, i.e. adopted (which the woman already knew.) Another person found out she'd been swapped at birth after an investigation. Several other folks learned more about their family history than they wanted to (think adultery.)

3. Are you prepared to face the possible consequences of the DNA test results?

These can vary, but consider, "How should/would I deal with the results if they show something unexpected?

Speaking for myself, I already know that our family came from the UK originally. Some left voluntarily while others left in chains, and none were related to royalty except those who escaped before being thrown in jail!  :laugh:  So I'm going to leave well enough alone and not ask more questions. I have enough to deal with here in the present without being overly concerned about things in the past and I think I'll leave it that way.

I agree with your questions and answers. I know a couple of people who found out some information that they really did not want to know about. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

I agree with your questions and answers. I know a couple of people who found out some information that they really did not want to know about. 

Yes, that whole "unexpected results" thing seems to be more common than many people think. People didn't talk about shady family history or any of that like they do today. Much of that was dealt with by silence, which explains why the older generation won't talk about such things.

I have an aunt who had the genealogy bug for years - right up until she got confirmation that the only relationship our ancestors had with the royals was running from the law! :laugh: She finished up by finding some of our ancestors got shipped to Australia in chains. I have to hand it to her though: She finished the job even though she didn't like the results.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

17 minutes ago, walla299 said:

Yes, that whole "unexpected results" thing seems to be more common than many people think. People didn't talk about shady family history or any of that like they do today. Much of that was dealt with by silence, which explains why the older generation won't talk about such things.

I have an aunt who had the genealogy bug for years - right up until she got confirmation that the only relationship our ancestors had with the royals was running from the law! :laugh: She finished up by finding some of our ancestors got shipped to Australia in chains. I have to hand it to her though: She finished the job even though she didn't like the results.

People could find out they have brothers and sisters they did not know about :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  98

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I can see the importance of someone having their DNA done if there is a serious crime. I can see the importance of some having their DNA done by a medical professional if they have a serious genetic disorder. But not just for their own curiosity. 

I agree with you on this matter. What's the point of genetic analysis for the purpose of ascertaining ancestry? I have Native American, African, and Northern European ancestors but this is of no consequence. We know that God is no respecter of persons and such matters are moot in His Son, Jesus Christ. This flesh is like the grass of the field. :) 

I'm educated in this subject and so I offer a perspective informed by that knowledge. When I state that we leave traces of our DNA wherever we go this is neither exaggeration nor an opinion; it's merely the recitation of fact. How many hairs fall off of our heads on a daily basis?

How many skin cells are shed from the body each day? Yes, that water bottle or glass does indeed bear cells from our body. A simple swab of the oral cavity (the mouth) yields plenty of material bearing our DNA. So does the nasopharyngeal swab for the detection of viruses in the respiratory tract... the blood cells extracted from our body for routine lab work bear our DNA. 

In short, the simple act of existence involves the shedding of our DNA all over the place. The human genome was sequenced 30 years ago (1990) so there has been ample time for nefarious actors to do what they will with the genetic information of individuals.

It's a simple matter to obtain biological material from an individual without their knowledge for use in analysis and it's notable that law enforcement may only do so by court order. If the DNA in question was obtained without the consent of the person in absence of a court order, it's inadmissible in a court of law. 

Edited by Marathoner
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

18 hours ago, Tristen said:

Hi Suzan,

If you really want a "private way", you could cultivate a relationship with someone who works in a molecular lab. They might be kind enough to run the test for you. Most of these kinds of tests are fairly rudimentary for someone working in the right kind of lab (usually some kind of PCR - takes about 4-or-so hours from DNA-collection to results - much of that time is waiting for machines to do their thing).

Obviously, follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I do not personally think anyone should be scared to get a DNA test if they have a medically "valid reason" to do so. The conspiracy theorist in me just figures - why take any unnecessary risks with your own DNA for frivolous reasons if you don't have to?

Thanks.  Food for thought.  Though how to find such a person probaby a lot tougher than it first appears.

I personally don't feel it is a good idea to add one's genetic DNA information to public databases.  They are forever, out of your control and who knows what can be done with the information.  Afraid to find out.

My issue is rather confined.  I need to find out if I am related to a certain relative or not.  I discovered this past year I probably am not genetically related.  This brought up worry, confusion and many doubts in myself.  Been praying my way through them because the people involved do not want me to know if they are or not.  They are invested in the current setup and me blowing it up (their version of reality) just strengthens their view that I am not a good person for even doubting them.  Been a sad year for me.  So really can't get their DNA anyway.  Have to have money, loads, to go through someone who can find out for me, privately.  All alone on this matter.  Very saddened, burdened, etc.

Edited by suzan344

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,375
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, suzan344 said:

Thanks.  Food for thought.  Though how to find such a person probaby a lot tougher than it first appears.

I personally don't feel it is a good idea to add one's genetic DNA information to public databases.  They are forever, out of your control and who knows what can be done with the information.  Afraid to find out.

My issue is rather confined.  I need to find out if I am related to a certain relative or not.  I discovered this past year I probably am not genetically related.  This brought up worry, confusion and many doubts in myself.  Been praying my way through them because the people involved do not want me to know if they are or not.  They are invested in the current setup and me blowing it up (their version of reality) just strengthens their view that I am not a good person for even doubting them.  Been a sad year for me.  So really can't get their DNA anyway.  Have to have money, loads, to go through someone who can find out for me, privately.  All alone on this matter.  Very saddened, burdened, etc.

It is difficult when the the participation of others is required but they are reluctant.

If you are Christian, I would encourage you that your true heritage is as a royal child of the living God. Human relationships are secondary, and ultimately irrelevant to our eternal relationship with our heavenly Father.

I know it doesn't change your circumstance, but we can walk in His joy and peace while God sorts out the rest. It's a matter of perspective. I'll also pray that God would provide opportunities to resolve your circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,224
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

:) I see no problem what so ever. I've had it done and seems I am still saved and set free and He still talks blah blah blah. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 1/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, Marathoner said:

Existing law prohibits insurance companies from engaging in such unethical behavior, my friend. In any case, it's a simple matter to collect a sample of one's DNA from routine lab work. :) 

I agree that information regarding one's ancestry is frivolous. Like most people alive on this earth, I'm a hodge-podge and I don't require genetic analysis to inform me of this truth. 

do we really expect them to be ethical.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,094
  • Content Per Day:  9.72
  • Days Won:  149

What's the worst that can happen? Honestly? Do you think they are going to clone us? 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

On 1/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, missmuffet said:

Do you think a Christian should get DNA testing?

Yes the "generations" in the Bible is very big. In Genesis 2:4 we read: "These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created".  We should study what Science is able to tell us about these generations that we read about in our Bible.  Most people skip over the genealogies in the Bible and ignore them. I study the genealogies and I read all of the Bible. There is a lot of information and Science goes a long way to help us understand what we are reading in our Bible. Also Bishop Ussher has written a book that deals with all of this information.