IGNORED

Does water baptism precede regeneration?

Regenerated-Adult

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Another Example of Salvation preceding baptism is the gentiles in Cornelius' House, where Peter was sent by God to preach to the gentiles and open the Gospel to the world. (And you can't have the Holy Spirit come upon you unless you are saved.)

Acts 10:

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

Then Peter answered, 47 “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  5

Hello,

For me personally I was baptized in water first and regenerated (per your definition) years later.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Dennis1209 said:

I'm a member of a Baptist church. I don't like identifying myself as a religion or denomination, Christianity is a faith and trust in One Person, a personal relationship, and that person is Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. But here's my thoughts: The Bible has much to say on the subject of water baptism (76 verses). Nowhere does it mention dousing, dripping or sprinkling; it's always with plenty of water for emersion. 

H2O has never saved anyone, only washed their outer extremity. Baptism is a public symbolic display to everyone and a confession; you have been saved; the old self (old man) is gone, and the new man is born of the Spirit of what Jesus did on the Cross. Your old self is dead, buried and Jesus one day is going to resurrect you. You're not ashamed to be a Christ follower and publically affirm so.  

Matthew 28:19 (KJV) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Dennis, this is true... one can not be saved by water but only by the Holy Spirit. That tells me THIS is the ONLY important thing to consider and find necessary. Further, in most / many churches (Baptist’s or otherwise) a water baptism is “packaged” as one that does not save but it is an outward sign to all church members that you are saved. 

That is what my church believes and is uses / states in a water baptism. However, they also say it is a “requirement” before one can become a church member!!!! 

So, it (water baptism) is not required by God for salvation, the church agrees it is not required for salvation, but you can not be a church member if you don’t have a water baptism!!!

Something wrong here? I declined their insistence on a water baptism.... 

Charlie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

33 minutes ago, Arrabon said:

I love this.

I was "DUNKED" on a July summer day, with many brothers and sisters coming to witness on a Saturday, in 1978.

We celebrated afterwards with soda and watermelon in the church parking lot, in the shade of several huge maple tree's.

FANTASTIC MEMORIES :thumbsup:.

I have a few of these memories too. Many times we would have church at a park where there was a stream and the pastor would baptize those who had made confessions of faith. My favorite church service is outdoors in the summer time with food afterwards!

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

Dennis, this is true... one can not be saved by water but only by the Holy Spirit. That tells me THIS is the ONLY important thing to consider and find necessary. Further, in most / many churches (Baptist’s or otherwise) a water baptism is “packaged” as one that does not save but it is an outward sign to all church members that you are saved. 

That is what my church believes and is uses / states in a water baptism. However, they also say it is a “requirement” before one can become a church member!!!! 

So, it (water baptism) is not required by God for salvation, the church agrees it is not required for salvation, but you can not be a church member if you don’t have a water baptism!!!

Something wrong here? I declined their insistence on a water baptism.... 

Charlie

Yes, it's a requirement to be a member of a Baptist church to have proof that you've been baptized. Like you're aware of, baptism doesn't save anyone. I suppose it's a denominational policy for church membership. I personally have nothing against that requirement.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

10 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

I see where you're coming from now Charlie and why there might be some resistance to baptism because you feel it shouldn't be tied to church membership. I would agree. Not sure why some churches insist on this as a prerequisite. I can't find any scripture for it.

Being "in the body"isn't the same as church membership at a particular church. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

I think repentance precedes regeneration, and water baptism is a symbol of repentance.  Repentance means change.  In this case a change of heart mind and soul from the old carnal man to the new man.  If repentance is viewed as a process leading to asking Jesus to be your savior, it can take a while.  But the final act of repentance comes with asking Jesus to be your savior, and water baptism, if any usually comes later as a symbol of regeneration.

In John the Baptist's time he called for repentance with his baptisms for people who did not yet know Jesus.  This was more of an initiation of a process that would lead to Jesus and his salvation when he became known to them.  Today we know who Jesus is, and repent in finality and are saved at the same time.

I think of water baptism mostly as a symbol.  I know many will disagree with me.  But God looks on the inner man.  Heart, mind and soul.  Not things external to the man like water.  If anyone believes in his heart and confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, he does not need to immediately fill up a bathtub.  He is saved by faith through grace.  I think water baptism is a good time to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, but there is no bad time.  Baptism in Spirit, on the other hand is vital life giving.  It is a free gift from God, through Jesus at salvation which makes us sons of God.  It is always given to us by God at salvation.  No works, rituals, or symbols are required.  It is Jesus plus nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, Logostician said:

I think of water baptism mostly as a symbol.  

Great post, thank you.

I would suggest that baptism is an outward confession of an inner faith. And a very wonderful experience. No it does not save. You don't have to be baptized to be a Christian, just like you don't have to praise and worship to be a Christian, but why would you forego the opportunity?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Us Jesus freaks back in the day were baptizing new converts....we went down to the lake or bathtub when cold.

I remember getting dunked within a day or so as I recall. It was a wonderful experience as I knew I did what my new to me Lord wanted.

Those were great days!

The good ole days. default_thumbsup.gif.ce4a30a9b6cc3dcdc16819fe00066929.gif
Don't remember where I read this way back, but the statement was,
the day that public baptisms in the rivers and lakes was moved into the private indoor heated baptismal
within the doors of the church was a tragedy, an end of public witness of their neighbors turning to Christ.

740px-Baptism_in_Buffalo_Bayou.jpg.1b82995b78f271f60e00b566c4d80ea6.jpg

Buffalo Bayou    cira 1900

• Thumbs Up 1