IGNORED

Should I Tell My Non-Christian Friends God has Determined Them to Go to Hell?

Uber Genius

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

2 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

So if you are talking about where the idea behind Calvinism came from, various post-nicene church fathers wrote about it but Augustine wrote extensively on the matter. Later during the early scholastic period Anselm renewed the idea. Later we had Aquinas holding to it. Finally Luther, Zwingli, melangrhon, then John Calvin held similar views!

John Calvin is a historical figure. And the view ultimately is named after him...but he was late to the game.

hope this helps.

We can go back even further, right back to biblical authors in fact...

2 minutes ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

I seem to recall a passage of scripture that says something like, "I chose you, you didn't choose me".  Am I right about that?  If that is indeed the case, there is no case against the doctrines of grace, which is simply the method used to determine the accurate interpretation of the scriptures.

You are right about that; it was Jesus talking to his disciples.

John 15:15,16 (VW)

15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master does; but I have called you friends, for all things that I hear from My Father I make known to you.
16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

The answer that freewillers usually give, is that this was not Jesus choosing them for salvation, but only for service; however, the principle remains true for salvation and service.  It is the Lord's choice, not the servant's, however much the servant might agree with the choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Do you agree that, on the cross, the Lord bore all the sins and punishment of those for whom he died?

No.

"For whom he died?" Love to see the reference that reads that way!

"For all who receive him"!

John 1:12 to as many as received him.

John 3:16 whomsoever believes 

2cor. 5:14,15 says he died "for all" twice

1 John 2:2 Jesus died for our sins but also the sins of the world

romans 6:10 once for all

your question is a trick question 

6 minutes ago, David1701 said:

We can go back even further, right back to biblical authors in fact...

That is the question we'd are looking at, but your statement about originating with Luther was false as was your claim about a nickname.

we can argue the scriptural references in the soteriology section if you care to. But the fact that you are affirming non-Calvinistic views as Calvinism, and misunderstand the origin of the views Sam coming from Luther is inauspicious.

nevertheless, those points are moot, the scriptures are more than adequate. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

4 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

No.

Dear one, do you not think that if Jesus died "for all" that nobody would go to hell, even though the Bible very clearly says that there are people that will end up in the lake of fire?

3 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

No.

It was not a trick question.

Is. 53:4-8 (VW)

4 Truly He has borne our sicknesses, and carried our pain; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, each one to his own way; and Jehovah has laid upon Him the iniquity of us all.
7 He has been oppressed, and He was afflicted; yet He opens not His mouth. He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter; and as a sheep before its shearers is mute, so He opens not His mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment; and who shall declare His generation? For He was cut off out of the land of the living; for the transgression of My people He was stricken.

So, the question is, who are the "My people", for whom Jesus was stricken?

John 10:14-16 (VW)

14 I am the Good Shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.
15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must lead, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one Shepherd.

The answer is that Jesus laid down his life for his sheep, from Jews and Gentiles.

Rev. 5:9 (VW) And they sing a new song, saying: You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,

4 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

That is the question we'd are looking at, but your statement about originating with Luther was false as was your claim about a nickname.

we can argue the scriptural references in the soteriology section if you care to. But the fact that you are affirming non-Calvinistic views as Calvinism, and misunderstand the origin of the views Sam coming from Luther is inauspicious.

nevertheless, those points are moot, the scriptures are more than adequate. 

I said nothing about the Doctrine of Grace coming from Luther (although he largely agreed).

What I said was that "Calvinism" was a nickname given to the Doctrines of Grace, by a Lutheran (not by Luther).

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

And:-

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Note the word "many" there.

22 hours ago, David1701 said:

You should not tell people where God has determined them to go, because you don't know.

What you should tell unbelievers is that they have broken God's law, are therefore under his condemnation, and will go to hell, unless they repent and trust in Jesus Christ, because of his shed blood, death on the cross and bodily resurrection, in which case they will be saved and go to heaven.

Now that you claim to be a Calvinist and we see your response to Calvin's double predestination theology of choosing some to be saved and others to be damned, how do you justify your claim say ,"Unless they repent and trust in Jesus," this is not something someone can chose to do under Calvinism. 

Humans are not free to respond to God in Calvin's view or Luther's

Arminius is the one who tried to reform the Reformers by rejecting limited atonement, irresistible grace, and unconditional election.

If you think that man can resist grace since "repent and trust" are human actions and if rejected demonstrate God's plan for election thwarted by human action. 

You need to remove human action from descriptions of God's salvation or equivocate terms by saying "repent and trust" are performed like a puppet on a string by those God would save.

10 minutes ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

Dear one, do you not think that if Jesus died "for all" that nobody would go to hell, even though the Bible very clearly says that there are people that will end up in the lake of fire?

You seemed to miss the point. 

The doctrine in question has nothing to do with whether people go to hell.

did you read the post?

reread and respond.