• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

There is a difference between teaching and preaching?

Yes, there is.  Teaching is expounding Scripture.  Preaching often involves some of that, but usually includes exhortation and motivation, which teaching does not have to.

Teaching is delivering understanding of the Scriptures.

Preaching is declaring, like a town crier.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

21 minutes ago, Alive said:

That is a good question. The words in the original language--in this case Koine Greek are very different words, so in a strict sense--NO we cannot do that.

However--proclaiming the Truth of the Gospel is imparting information and that is what teaching does.

Let's conduct an exercise--shall we.

Let's say a preacher, who once stood before a congregation a couple times a week and preached a sermon then began to meet with the saints in a home church environment where there is no podium. Everyone sits around together in a room on sofas, chairs, folding chairs and with a few kids maybe sitting on the floor.

That same individual speaks to those saints and ones listen....is he preaching? Is he teaching? Is he still a preacher?

I will respond to this but first I do need to asked why he is doing this, it seems that what he does is not what Paul was doing. 

This is not the examples of a teacher we have in the bible. 

This is obvious is it not? 

Is it not what Paul warn us about to be careful as we are only humans and we are perfect in understanding not to act in way that we are always right. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 minute ago, Your closest friendnt said:

I will respond to this but first I do need to asked why he is doing this, it seems that what he does is not what Paul was doing. 

This is not the examples of a teacher we have in the bible. 

This is obvious is it not? 

Is it not what Paul warn us about? 

Show me examples in the scriptures that describe what you are talking about.

Why he is doing that? Because there is no 'church building'--they are expensive.

Or perhaps he is in China where it is the only choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest clancy
11 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Yes, there is.  Teaching is expounding Scripture.  Preaching often involves some of that, but usually includes exhortation and motivation, which teaching does not have to.

Teaching is delivering understanding of the Scriptures.

Preaching is declaring, like a town crier.

That was exactly what I thought.

Edited by clancy

What I am doing is attempting to lead folks to think about this some. Much of how we view these things is based on contemporary practices, conventions and culture.

Some folks think of a pastor and preacher as the same thing and use the word 'preacher' when talking about the 'pastor' of a congregation.

Have you considered that for many many years, believers met in homes because the 'church building' hadn't yet been invented.

Lots of those folks were gentiles and didn't know a synagogue from a cattle pen.

For a good deal of years, the Romans were after them and they had no parking lot around the building to park their buggies and donkeys.

:-)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

25 minutes ago, Alive said:

Show me examples in the scriptures that describe what you are talking about.

Why he is doing that? Because there is no 'church building'--they are expensive.

Or perhaps he is in China where it is the only choice.

My response to your inquiry can be misconstrue it can be easily lead the reader in his own thoughts about what I meant to say when I asked "why is he doing that ".

The reader usually will accept his thoughts as my thoughts, that can be incorrect at times, times often.

(I am teaching now)

The correct approach to take should be: 

For the reader to ponder what is the poster referring to when he made the statement "what he is doing"...

Why he did not go on to define the "what he is doing is referring to "...

Is there more than one answer to this question?  

Perhaps the reader should think I should ask.

And to be sure the reader should have asked.

And this is what I had observed when I made the statement " what he is doing".

And that what he is doing, "he is only talking " one way just talking and not developing the people to understand and asked questions creating a dialogue. 

In the church one thing, but in the group later it should have been a discussion of what he had preached in the church. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

11 minutes ago, Alive said:

What I am doing is attempting to lead folks to think about this some. Much of how we view these things is based on contemporary practices, conventions and culture.

Some folks think of a pastor and preacher as the same thing and use the word 'preacher' when talking about the 'pastor' of a congregation.

Have you considered that for many many years, believers met in homes because the 'church building' hadn't yet been invented.

Lots of those folks were gentiles and didn't know a synagogue from a cattle pen.

For a good deal of years, the Romans were after them and they had no parking lot around the building to park their buggies and donkeys.

Many believers still meet in homes.  There is the whole "house-church" movement.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

2 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Many believers still meet in homes.  There is the whole "house-church" movement.

Yes. I did this for many years.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

There are good teachers and there are bad teachers. Bad teachers post false doctrine and allow the Christian to stumble and fall. A good teacher has a strong sense of Christian discernment and posts the true literal Word of God. They don't give scripture their own words. 

The Preacher usually has been educated at a Bible College and he preaches from a pulpit. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, Alive said:

We have many churches here like that. House churches. No pastor as such, but teaching from mature ones, sometimes through discussion. Very informal and small. A dozen people maybe. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1