Whyme

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  10

I wanted to share a couple scriptures about how to deal with sin in our lives. Scripture and God are the teachers.  Do these two scriptures teach the same thing? Are they related? They sound like they are, what is your opinion? Note they both refer to peace. Please feel free to post more scripture and or your opinion about overcoming the flesh/sin in our lives. Thank you. Im sorry to burden you with yet another thread. I wished i had another place to post this one but i have no clue where that would be. 

Romans 8:5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind [f]set on the flesh is death, but the mind [g]set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind [h]set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned[e] and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

How does one walk in the Spirit? It seems to be key in overcoming sin?

Edited by Whyme
  • Praise God! 1

Guest SelahSong
2 hours ago, Whyme said:

I wanted to share a couple scriptures about how to deal with sin in our lives. Scripture and God are the teachers.  Do these two scriptures teach the same thing? Are they related? They sound like they are, what is your opinion? Note they both refer to peace. Please feel free to post more scripture and or your opinion about overcoming the flesh/sin in our lives. Thank you. Im sorry to burden you with yet another thread. I wished i had another place to post this one but i have no clue where that would be. 

Romans 8:5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind [f]set on the flesh is death, but the mind [g]set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind [h]set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned[e] and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Romans 8:5 "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

I think that those who love serving the Lord are those who belong to Him.  And if they fall short, as we all do sometimes, the Spirit of God convicts them of their sin, and with a contrite heart they will repent and ask God for forgiveness in Jesus’ name.

Psalm 51:17  “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”

. . .

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever thing are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I think maybe Paul is telling us that our actions should conform to all these things.   Are they true and honest?  Pure and lovely?  Maybe this means that we should think about trying as best we can to conform our lives to these things.  I believe if we try, the good Lord above will meet us halfway and help us the rest of the way.  

6 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

Romans 8:5 "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

I think that those who love serving the Lord are those who belong to Him.  And if they fall short, as we all do sometimes, the Spirit of God convicts them of their sin, and with a contrite heart they will repent and ask God for forgiveness in Jesus’ name.

Psalm 51:17  “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”

. . .

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever thing are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I think maybe Paul is telling us that our actions should conform to all these things.   Are they true and honest?  Pure and lovely?  Maybe this means that we should think about trying as best we can to conform our lives to these things.  I believe if we try, the good Lord above will meet us halfway and help us the rest of the way.  

Here's my theory. Every lawless act begins with a thought. You have two choices when a lawless thought comes to mind, cast the thought out and remember that scripture which says meditate on pure and true things, or you can entertain the idea .  So perhaps thats where the battle begins and ends.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest SelahSong
49 minutes ago, Whyme said:

49 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

I believe this is saying that we must be sure that the spiritual part of us is boss over the flesh part of us.  The Holy Spirit will teach us and instruct us, and we’ll know what is right and what is wrong, according to God’s Word.  ~ Selah 

2 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

I believe this is saying that we must be sure that the spiritual part of us is boss over the flesh part of us.  The Holy Spirit will teach us and instruct us, and we’ll know what is right and what is wrong, according to God’s Word.  ~ Selah 

The scriptures say we should love God with our mind. Once we learn what sins we are guilty of, and we decide to let the HS be boss, its a matter of guarding our heart from those things, and meditating on good things. At least thats what i think God is showing me. Will i be perfect? Prolly not but im going to try me best. Will i find joy in overcoming sin? Most definitely. One day at a time, one thought and one battle at a time. God's grace is new every morning, never give up. You only lose when you give up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest SelahSong
2 minutes ago, Whyme said:

The scriptures say we should love God with our mind. Once we learn what sins we are guilty of, and we decide to let the HS be boss, its a matter of guarding our heart from those things, and meditating on good things. At least thats what i think God is showing me. Will i be perfect? Prolly not but im going to try me best. Will i find joy in overcoming sin? Most definitely. One day at a time, one thought and one battle at a time. God's grace is new every morning, never give up. You only lose when you give up.

Amen, Whyme.  We serve an awesome God, abounding in mercy and compassion.  He longs to be gracious to us.  Hallelujah!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Whyme said:

I wanted to share a couple scriptures about how to deal with sin in our lives. Scripture and God are the teachers.  Do these two scriptures teach the same thing? Are they related? They sound like they are, what is your opinion? Note they both refer to peace. Please feel free to post more scripture and or your opinion about overcoming the flesh/sin in our lives. Thank you.

"Romans 8:1-39
3. THE LIFE IN THE SPIRIT OVER AGAINST THE FAILURE OF THE LAW; THE GOSPEL AS THE POWER OF GOD UNTO PRESENT SALVATION FROM SIN.
This chapter is ‘the climax of the Epistle’ (Tholuck). The gospel is a present power unto salvation; the law has proven a failure, both in justifying (chap. 3) and in sanctifying men (chap. 7), but those who are in Christ Jesus, not only are justified, but also have a new life in the Holy Spirit. Hence Meyer gives as the theme of the chapter: ‘the happy condition of a man in Christ.’ Hodge prefers the heading: ‘the security of the believer.’ — The whole chapter may be summed up thus: the life in the Spirit leads to fellowship with Christ in suffering and glory (Rom_8:1-17); in this fellowship of suffering we have three grounds of encouragement insuring our blessedness, attesting our security (Rom_8:18-30); the believer has nothing to fear, for nothing can separate him from the love.

Romans 8:6
For the mind of the flesh. Explanation of Rom_8:5. The word ‘mind’ corresponds with the verb ‘mind’ in the last verse; it is that which embodies the thinking, caring, striving; the disposition, we might call it
Is death; amounts to death. ‘Death is here conceived of as present (comp. 1Ti_5:6; Eph_2:1; Eph_2:5), not merely as a result, but as a characteristic mark, an immanent definition of the carnal mind’ (Philippi).
The mind of the Spirit. Here also the Holy Spirit; the minding, striving, which comes from the Holy Spirit.
Life and peace. ‘Life’ is to be taken in its full sense, in contrast with ‘death;’ ‘peace ‘is added, probably to prepare for Rom_8:7, where ‘enmity’ is introduced. "

"Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren. He lingers in the conclusion as though the writing of his letter in some degree soothed his longing for them.
whatsoever things are true. Not merely in words only, but in thoughts and actions.
whatsoever things are honourable. Such as make men esteemed and revered by those with whom they live.
whatsoever things are just. Actions upright in all respects, whether concerning ourselves or others.
whatsoever things are pure. Unspotted chasteness in the whole behaviour.
whatsoever things are lovely. Which win favour from those among whom they are done; which gather men friends.
whatsoever things are of good report. Well spoken of among men, and so bringing a good name.
if there be any virtue. He adds this, that he may leave nothing out of his enumeration, ‘whatever virtue there be.’
and if there be any praise. The praise is a consequence of the virtue. He does not intend that the Philippians should follow after all that the carnal world might praise, but only what is praised because it is virtuous.
think on these things. The word is not, as will be seen from the notes, the common word for ‘think,’ but indicates the making up of a reckoning. He has been giving them a long list of virtues as constituents of the Christian character, and the employment of this word may have been suggested by the thought that they must add virtue after virtue, and so try to make the reckoning as complete as they could. Count up these things, he would say, for yourselves, and as you do so, try to cultivate the whole.

Philippians 4:8-9
Precepts for the guidance of the Christian Life, 8,9.
With much emphasis of language, St. Paul urges on the Philippians that they be mindful of the various virtues which mark the Christian character, and carry out all that he has taught them either by word or example, and thus shall the God of peace dwell with them."

1Jn 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

"1 John 1:8-9
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Another ‘if we say,’ strictly co-ordinate with the preceding; the phrases here being variations upon those contained in the former, but, after St. John’s manner, with some additional points of force. What is falsely asserted by the anti-christian spirit is the absence of that which renders an atonement necessary in order to walking in the light. Sin has been for the first time introduced, as that within us which answers to darkness, its external sphere: it is wrong, therefore, to interpret it as meaning that we may no longer ‘walk in the darkness,’ although we ‘have’ remaining sin within us. The two are synonymous: they who say that they are without sin are by that very token in the darkness; for the light of God’s holiness cannot be diffused through the soul until it has first revealed its evil. The rebuke runs parallel with the former, with appropriate change of phrase. Instead of lying simply, we are now self-deceivers, with strong emphasis on this: not without great violence could the perverters of the Christian system have brought themselves to deny the sinfulness of their nature. In fact, none who have ever been Christians could assert this; at least, the Christian revelation as truth cannot have remained in them, even if it had ever entered. ‘The truth is not in us,’ nor we in it.
If we confess our sins: here we have the universal preamble of the Gospel. This confession is the consenting together of the soul and the law in the conviction and acknowledgment of sin. It is the antithesis of the ‘saying that we have no sin;’ but, as the antitheses are never strictly coincident, this confession may include, and indeed must include, more than a mere internal sentiment. Two things are to be remembered here: first, that the confessing of ‘sins,’ not ‘sin,’ is the expression used in the New Testament for the true repentance that precedes the acceptance of the Gospel; and, secondly, that the word is used by St. John only in two senses, for the fundamental confession of sin and need, and for the fundamental confession of Jesus the Saviour from sin and need. He speaks of ‘confessing sin’ and ‘confessing Christ:’ he alone has this combination, and save to express these two he does not employ the word. Accordingly, St. John now introduces in the most full and solemn manner the whole economy of the Gospel as a remedy for sin: in an enlarged statement, and including now another idea, that of righteousness.

He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The two attributes of God, the Administrator in Christ through the Spirit of the redeeming economy, correspond to each other and to the blessings which they guarantee. He is ‘faithful’ to His holy nature, as it is revealed in His Son, and to the covenant which in Him pledges forgiveness and renewal, and to the express promises of His word: the ‘covenant of peace’ came to St. John from the Old Testament, and is as much his as St. Paul’s, though he never introduces the idea. Hence its antithesis is the making Him a liar; and its counterpart in us is our faith, not here expressed but implied. He is ‘righteous’ also: this term regards the holiness of God under a new aspect, that of a lawgiver; and declares that His universal faithfulness is pledged in a particular way, namely, as He imparts righteousness to the faith of those who trust in Him. St. John does not adopt the Pauline language, though he implies the Pauline teaching, when he says that God is righteous in order that He may forgive our sins. We receive this release from condemnation from His righteousness; for ‘He is just, and the justifier.’ He also imparts righteousness,—that point St. John keep stedfastly in view throughout the Epistle,—but as to that he changes the phrase; and, blending the holiness and righteousness of God in one sentence, declares that He is faithful and righteous also ‘that He may cleanse us from all unrighteousness.’ This is a remarkable combination: the ‘cleansing’ is strictly from pollution; but here its meaning is enlarged beyond that of 1Jn_1:7, and it is a cleansing from the very principle in us that gives birth to sin, our deviation from holy right or our ‘unrighteousness.’ "

- A Popular Commentary on the New Testament - Philip Schaff

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Whyme said:

Hi, I hope this helps with your search into the answer to your above question and Lord willing some encouragement..

We read in Galatians that they;

“began in the Spirit”

So if one could discover what they did at first, they would know what truth was being pointed at??

Be blessed in your searching into the answer to your question.. 

Hope it helps, be blessed in Him, Not me 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Whyme said:

That's a great question. It's right in the heart of our discipleship, being built up and maturing in the faith.

The only thing that is free in this world is salvation, but growing in Christ comes at a cost. We are told in Romans to offer ourselves as a living sacrifice which is our reasonable service. When Jesus tells us to pick up our cross and follow He is saying to lose your life in this world for My sake. Render the old man dead. Crucify the old man of sin. 

We drop our cross in numerous ways but over time and with much repentance we grow.  

Jesus was 100% earthly good because He was 100% heavenly minded. Remember? He said set your treasures in heaven. 

Colossians 3:2-3 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are upon the earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Philippians3:10 ..that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings being conformed to His death.

Paul goes on in Romans talking about the retched man that he is, the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak. Our life will be a struggle but our struggles are for us to work out our own salvation to learn to be content, to grow in love for Jesus and to walk in the power of His resurrection. 

So it's our old nature that needs to remain dead. Remember Jesus' words. Those that seek to save their life in this world will lose it, but they who lose their lives for My sake will gain life, and life everlasting.

There's an old song that goes something like, "Sin will take you where you do not want to go"  Choose good, that you may live.

Focusing on the sin, like what psychology does, will not work. Paul in Colossians again. 2:23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom......but are of no value against fleshly indulgences.