IGNORED

What is speaking in tongues and prophesying?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I have personally never gotten any real benefit from praying in tongues but i still try to do it every now and then. Maybe i just don't have that gift but from what i understand is that everyone who has received the baptism of the Spirit should have this gift and use it on a regular basis. So i guess all i can do is keep praying to receive this baptism, if in fact it is still available to us as it was to those early believers, and not just something that people are pretending is a real experience rather than just a figment of the imagination, but i have yet to decide myself until i experience it myself.

Edited by CaptWalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

I have personally never gotten any real benefit from praying in tongues but i still try to do it every now and then. Maybe i just don't have that gift but from what i understand is that everyone who has received the baptism of the Spirit should have this gift and use it on a regular basis. So i guess all i can do is keep praying to receive this baptism, if in fact it is still available to us as it was to those early believers, and not just something that people are pretending is a real experience rather than just a figment of the imagination, but i have yet to decide myself until i experience it myself.

It would be best to learn from Pentecostal Christians who can pray in tongues and exercise the gift of kinds of tongues and interpretation at church meetings/services. Lucky for you there is such an excellent body of believers at 

Home - THE REVIVAL FELLOWSHIP, FRESNO (trffresno.org) 

Are you looking for the transforming experience that will change your life? Would you like to be able to really understand the Bible and it’s message to mankind the way you are supposed to?

Would you like to have an experience that gives you a solid and unshakeable foundation for your faith, and reveals all the promises of God for you in your personal life?

Without receiving the Holy Spirit with the Bible evidence of speaking in tongues none of the above are at all possible. This is the way God did it when the church began on the day of Pentecost, and nothing has changed!

Edited by Waggles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Since God has already told me what is important ... I've never given it any place
2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV
Seeing how it is very specific as to thoroughly furnished for all good works why do people seek other :noidea: 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

I was just wondering how many people here have actually spoken in tongues AND prophesied according to Acts 19:6 and 1st Corinthians 14:1-5, and what it meant to you and how important it is for the average Christian to have this experience and what is called the "baptism of the Holy Spirit"? Because from what i hear some preachers saying is that it is almost critical that you have this experience and not just one time, but in learning how to pray in tongues on a regular basis. So basically i was just curious how Biblical this is for us today and if it's something that we should pray to have and experience or if it was just something for the early Christian believers?   

Someone baptized in the Spirit for spiritual gifts might speak in tongues or not. Some fruit will be evidenced related to speaking, for example, words of knowledge or words of faith, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

22 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

And why do you not believe it?

I know 1 Corintians 13 says they will fail when that which is perfect is come. 

1 cor 13:

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is [d]perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

But I do not believe it is referring to the bible, (as I have heard from cessationists) because the scripture goes on to say that when that happens we will know God just as we are known, and I am just not there yet

Jesus can't be what's perfect (in this context)for he had already come (although I believe it is referring to His return)

The Holy Spirit can't be what is perfect (In this context), because he had already come. and was using people to prophecy and speak tongues

And after saying all that Paul went on to instruct us on the correct way to speak in tongues and prophesy. Why would God include a whole chapter in the finished bible on the proper etiquette of Tongues and Interpretation, if it was going away with the arrival of the finished bible?

Do you support tongues and prophecies for today?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

35 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Do you support tongues and prophecies for today?

Yes I do, for I do not believe the criteria for them going away has been met

Plus the Holy Spirit speaks through all of us.  And that is prophesy.  No longer do prophets serve as the voice of God, for we al have the Holy Spirit within us. But a prophet can be an echo of God

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

14 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

Yes I do, for I do not believe the criteria for them going away has been met

Plus the Holy Spirit speaks through all of us.  And that is prophesy.  No longer do prophets serve as the voice of God, for we al have the Holy Spirit within us. But a prophet can be an echo of God

We do not differ in very many areas of Christianity but this is where we do not agree.

I am a cessationist. They believe that tongues and healing by christians today have ceased. God does perform miracles today. The Holy Spirit no longer uses christians to perform miraculous signs. Why do we need prophets today if we have the complete revelation from God in the Bible?

Edited by missmuffet

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

We do not differ in very many areas of Christianity but this is where we do not agree.

I am a cessationist. They believe that tongues and healing by christians today have ceased. God does perform miracles today. The Holy Spirit no longer uses christians to perform miraculous signs. 

Can you provide me with a Scriptural reference for that.  I agree that "miracle services" and people claiming to be miracle workers are not right, but where do you see that God cannot or will not use someone else to accomplish His will in the form of a miracle?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

15 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The Holy Spirit no longer uses christians to perform miraculous signs.

This in my experience is far from true. I have witnessed this first hand and even been involved in some miracles. God is indeed no respecter of persons since even I was allowed such amazing and awesome experiences.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  20

I have witnessed unexplained miracles in my life therefore I do believe in miracles.

I watched a small 5 year old child fall backward into a burning fire only to some how be pushed or shoved forward and sideways by an unseen hand. He landed outside of the fire though he was falling backwards into the fire.  There was no human being anywhere next to him to have done this. 

I have been the driver of a vehicle skidding into a head on collision with a fright truck only to have the car spin into the drive way of a house and come to a complete stop in that driveway which was hundred of feet away from the roadway.  There was no vehicle damage and there was no contact with any of the other numerous vehicles on the roadway. 

These are just a couple of examples of mysterious, unexplained happenings in my 60 plus years of life.  Unbelievers call them coincidences or just unexplained phenomenon.  Christians, who believe in a Savior who was resurrected from the dead, believe in the miraculous.  God can do what ever he wants, any time he wants, how ever he want to do it, and does not need the approval or belief of humans to do so, whether it comes to miracles or spiritual gifts of any kind. He is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 2