• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

16 minutes ago, Starise said:

The whole thing gives me a dirty feeling reading over it all. Unfortunately I went through it as an unwilling participant years ago. It's just as dirty as reading over the implications of it might suggest. It's a horrible thing no matter how you slice it. 

What are the implications when a person does something they know is wrong, when the whole time they are thinking to themselves that God will forgive them for it? If everyone gets off the hook with no repercussions why have the biblical instructions in the first place?

If I kill, God will forgive me

If I lie, God will forgive me

If I commit adultery, God will forgive me.

Is this what people are thinking when they do these things?

I still live in close proximity to the other party that was involved. Let me tell you their life isn't the kind of life anyone would want. What goes around surely does come around. To this day I've never received an " I'm sorry" though I have forgiven and moved on. 

A brother in the Lord recently reminded me of God's providence, that God uses things we think are bad to our benefit.  I can say without any doubt God used these events to further bless me. I would never have chosen the path He put me on or even imagined it. 

Amen, brother.

Rom. 8:28 (NAS20S)   And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters;

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

16 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I read and understand what you mean, but things are a bit different now. From what I can see because of Christ we can become right in certain situations. 

“Christ is the reason we are now at peace. He made us Jews and you who are not Jews one people. We were separated by a wall of hate that stood between us, but Christ broke down that wall. By giving his own body, Christ ended the law with its many commands and rules. His purpose was to make the two groups become one in him. By doing this he would make peace. Through the cross Christ ended the hate between the two groups. And after they became one body, he wanted to bring them both back to God. He did this with his death on the cross. So now you non-Jewish people are not visitors or strangers, but you are citizens together with God’s holy people. You belong to God’s family.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:14-16, 19‬ ‭

Yes, things are different in the New Covenant; however, my point was that God puts righteousness before people's feelings (even very strong ones) and practical considerations. 

My point was not about the separation between Jews and Gentiles, which is no longer valid, in Christ.

By the way, I know it's your choice, but I strongly recommend you to stop using whatever paraphrase it is that you have quoted.  It has taken great liberties with the text and introduced some very dubious interpretation.  Here is one of several much better translations.

Eph. 2;14-16, 19 (NKJV)

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.

19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Ezra 10 is a lesson and ensample for the church of repenting and turning away from being one with the unbelieving world and its idolatries. 

We are under a Law of love now:

1Co 7:12

But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her.

And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

You've missed my point, which was not about separating from worldly spouses, but about God putting righteousness before people's feelings and their practical considerations (what to do about the children, etc.).

Edited by David1701
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,887
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

On 7/5/2021 at 4:51 AM, Amigo42 said:

One can't unscramble scrambled eggs.  I think Christians put too much emphasis on whether it's a sin.  I believe that God does not prefer spouses to divorce unless it becomes unhealthy.  However, after a divorce I don't believe God expects one to live in solitude and loneliness for life. God gave us all common sense, so we can't overread into specific statements in scripture.

Your post is pure wisdom!

It's important not to have a very sensitive sin conscience in our lives...all the time looking to protect our selves from our own guilty conscience. 

To have a good conscience towards God is to be guided by his Spirit.

That's why Jesus Christ did not write rules down the way God did with Moses.

Everyone lives in a different culture with a different and unique Family Law Act and a unique penal system. 

They punished the polygamous and forbid the parents or one of them to look even from a distance at their children making it an offence to know how ones children are doing...

How can the Law of the polygamous culture of those people protect the rights of a parent or the adulterers. 

They would have stone them to death. 

But today great people have come out of these relationships and have benefited the world and we reap the benefits of their work and many great people (most of them from these kind of relationships have been great workers of the Gospel. 

Jesus choose a Publican as one of his disciples because he can understand and be merciful and compassionate to the publicans. 

Those who make rules for others should think twice.

Jesus healed on the Sabbath...

This one married a divorced. 

Where the scripture says that the divorce and remarried couples or the adulterous and or the gay were forbidden to hide the prosecute ones from their adversaries during the war?  

Risking their own lives.

Or those who had judged the divorce and adulterous and the gay and the "sinners in general" refused their help, on the reason that it was sinners helping them. 

Is anyone going to refuse the help of the doctor who can saved their lives and or their children's lives because he/she is married to a divorce person, or because the doctor is in a adulterous relationship? 

Or he is going to say the adulterous need to be stoned to death.

What Jesus said: did he follow the Law to throw the first stone? 

Did Jesus was quilty of disobeying the Law? 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Amigo42 said:

One can't unscramble scrambled eggs.  I think Christians put too much emphasis on whether it's a sin.  I believe that God does not prefer spouses to divorce unless it becomes unhealthy.  However, after a divorce I don't believe God expects one to live in solitude and loneliness for life. God gave us all common sense, so we can't overread into specific statements in scripture.

Why not just rip up your Bible and use it as kindling?  You might as well, if that is your attitude (the parts of your post I've made bold).

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, David1701 said:

Why not just rip up your Bible and use it as kindling?  You might as well, if that is your attitude (the parts of your post I've made bold).

God expects us to have balance in our lives.  Most Christians today don't even honor one of God's 10 commandments to keep the Sabbath instead finding every excuse in the book.  That's overt sin, but it gets swept under the theological rug. Divorce and remarriage in contrast are vague areas not clearly outlined so wisdom from God must come into play.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  5

On 7/5/2021 at 4:51 AM, Amigo42 said:

Yikes, what bible are you reading my friend?  God surely has higher goals for us than whether we are lonely or not.  There is a price to pay in following/obeying Jesus...He tells us to count the cost.  Deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him?  And He very much does care about sin....He talks about sin a lot in scripture......so shouldn't we care....if adulterers aren't going to enter the kingdom of God?   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  5

10 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

God expects us to have balance in our lives.  Most Christians today don't even honor one of God's 10 commandments to keep the Sabbath instead finding every excuse in the book.  That's overt sin, but it gets swept under the theological rug. Divorce and remarriage in contrast are vague areas not clearly outlined so wisdom from God must come into play.

Well, I'm not sure God is concerned about balance in our lives, more like He wants us to be radical and lay down our lives to Him, from how I read the scriptures.  The lost world is chasing after balanced lives.

If the Lord gives someone wisdom about things that seem vague, then maybe it wouldn't be so vague any more.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Well, I'm not sure God is concerned about balance in our lives, more like He wants us to be radical and lay down our lives to Him, from how I read the scriptures.  The lost world is chasing after balanced lives.

If the Lord gives someone wisdom about things that seem vague, then maybe it wouldn't be so vague any more.

Agree with you totally.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

Wisdom from God does not include committing adultery.

The only "grey area" regarding remarriage is the so-called "exception clause", in which it is allowed for fornication; but, that is because the Jews had a legally binding betrothal, which could only be ended by divorce.  This explains why it is found in Matthew (the gospel with the most Jewish flavour) but not in Luke (the gospel most suited to Gentiles).  It also explains why the word used is not the word for adultery, but a general word for sexual immorality, including sex before marriage.

• Thumbs Up 1