• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

43 minutes ago, Starise said:

Yes. Desk job most of the time, but I am sometimes active at work. Climbed steps to the roof of three story building today, so I'm not always at a desk here. On the weekends I am more physically active.

The grass usually isn't growing under my feet, but a lot of what I do is from the neck up. :D

My recommendations.

Morning: Coffee mug reps, eyelid jumping jacks, expressions of dismay, shoulder shrugs.

Early afternoon: More coffee mug reps, finger calisthenics, expressions of surprise, breathe in and breathe out.

Late afternoon: Keep breathing, jog in place, head bowed and eyes closed (no peeking!), chew gum and walk at the same time. You can do it!

Before bed: More expressions of dismay, toe calisthenics, pillow crunches, eye rolling. 

You'll be back in shape in no time. Thank me later. ;)

P.S. -- If your wife asks what on earth you're doing, tell her "Oh, nothing." :whistling:

Edited by Marathoner
  • Haha 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

52 minutes ago, Starise said:

Yes. Desk job most of the time, but I am sometimes active at work. Climbed steps to the roof of three story building today, so I'm not always at a desk here. On the weekends I am more physically active.

The grass usually isn't growing under my feet, but a lot of what I do is from the neck up. :D

Many years back while coming home with my crew after a day setting cabinets on the job site, I saw these city people jogging along side the road and in the park, in shorts and carrying bottled water and I said to my crew "some day I'm gonna get me a job like them and you guys can wave at me in my shorts"

I wised up and now work at home in my shop now for 10+yrs, AC and heat, and gained some weight pronto. No, I don't jog on the highway in my shorts and make a target for those empty flying beer/soda cans. Most times ripping plywood and assembling, delivering product keeps me fit. But when doing a week or so of 'think work'-shop maintenance or acquiring parts/material consumables and enjoying the rest, my body looses it's 'elasticity/flexibility' and muscle tone. I really do begin to feel 'old'. So I cut on the fan and do a battery of 20ea squats-push ups-jumping jacks and 40 toe touch, then 20 reps with 25 lb dumb bells. Several times a day, that gets me sweating and breathing hard. Go to bed tired and sleep fine, and wake up fresh. If I don't do the extra work out when needed, I feel lousy and sluggish, and tired. For me it's a no brainer about that old motto if you don't use it you loose it.
I praise God for my wife's and my health at our age. Me are blessed!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

When I took karate years ago I remember the breathing and the stretching which has similarities to yoga. I took Isshinryu karate.

The unspoken rules of the warm up were-

Stretch it. Did you hear any popping noises? Did anything crack? If not continue to stretch. Does it hurt? We don't care. Keep stretching.

Flexibility and coordination are important to maintain, so stretching is a good thing within reason. If it pops or breaks call 911. Otherwise keep stretching.

If you sit and begin to stretch and your body makes a release and you look around and everyone has left the area, this has been an effective technique.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

2 minutes ago, Sower said:

Many years back while coming home with my crew after a day setting cabinets on the job site, I saw these city people jogging along side the road and in the park, in shorts and carrying bottled water and I said to my crew "some day I'm gonna get me a job like them and you guys can wave at me in my shorts"

I was with a co worker who seen a female runner while we were driving. He commented- 

Who is she running from? Ain't nobody chasing her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sower said:

I wised up and now work at home in my shop now for 10+yrs, AC and heat, and gained some weight pronto. No, I don't jog on the highway in my shorts and make a target for those empty flying beer/soda cans. Most times ripping plywood and assembling, delivering product keeps me fit. But when doing a week or so of 'think work'-shop maintenance or acquiring parts/material consumables and enjoying the rest, my body looses it's 'elasticity/flexibility' and muscle tone. I really do begin to feel 'old'. So I cut on the fan and do a battery of 20ea squats-push ups-jumping jacks and 40 toe touch, then 20 reps with 25 lb dumb bells. Several times a day, that gets me sweating and breathing hard. Go to bed tired and sleep fine, and wake up fresh. If I don't do the extra work out when needed, I feel lousy and sluggish, and tired. For me it's a no brainer about that old motto if you don't use it you loose it.
I praise God for my wife's and my health at our age. Me are blessed!

I'm one of those people who stays fit as a general rule. Work was enough for me; I wasn't one of those folks jogging in my shorts except for the time I spent in the military where PT was mandatory. 

Hauling shingles up on the roof and staging them while the other guys took off for lunch was my thing. When everyone came back, the boss laughed and gave me the rest of the day off with pay. :laugh:

That's when I learned to eat a light lunch. A heavy lunch made the sleepy bug bite! A flatbed full of sheetrock? Lemme at it. I'd rather haul sheetrock than mess with that stuff anyway. Hated it. ;)

Now that muscular dystrophy is a problem, I have to be careful. Certain muscles are affected and don't recover when I exert myself. I've been thinking about a gym membership so I can use their swimming pool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Arthritis is my problem. There is an exercise machine I would love to get. I tried it when I had physical therapy after chemo. It is supposed to be really good for people with arthritis. It is unfortunately not cheap. It is running while sitting, in a way that is very easy on the joints while still getting a solid work out. For now, I try and walk 0.1 mile on an ada nature trail. Best I can do before the pain is overwhelming. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praying! 1

10 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Arthritis is my problem. There is an exercise machine I would love to get. I tried it when I had physical therapy after chemo. It is supposed to be really good for people with arthritis. It is unfortunately not cheap. It is running while sitting, in a way that is very easy on the joints while still getting a solid work out. For now, I try and walk 0.1 mile on an ada nature trail. Best I can do before the pain is overwhelming. 

I can walk unaided and it's good that I can, for my work requires quite a bit of walking. The quadriceps femoris muscle in both of my legs are affected and once this was established, my time in physical therapy ended. Working those muscles is pointless because of a deficiency of dystrophin. Those muscles can't recover and so they remain in a weakened state. 

I benefited from a machine that allowed my arms and legs to work together; I could compensate for weakness in the legs with my arms. There's no cure nor treatment for muscular dystrophy at this time, but the Lord has blessed me so much that it really doesn't matter. :) 

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Don't know which one you are interested in, but I googled exercise bike for seniors with arthritis and the recumbent bike was the one, where you sit at an angle (adjustable) to pedal. Two of my friends I worked with used recumbent exercise bikes for their work out, so I got on Craig's list looking for the same model. Weeks later one showed up in Houston TX for two hundred which new is around 1500.00. I made a deal on phone and drove 200 mi and brought home, it was like new. Had a programmable workout with screen and timers. Found out people get excited when buying but quickly loose interest selling cheap for exercise equipment when realizing it takes a little energy also. I'm cheap, and shop for used stuff all the time, and blessed with deals. Research.

I got on Craig's list in Los Angeles and saw several under 100.00-200.00, but do not know the model that your looking for.  Could probably have them deliver one if offered some gas money if you don't have someone to help.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Then there's God who can find one quicker.
And belief/faith...:)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08
  • Days Won:  0

I don't practice yoga regularly, But I do have to stretch every once in awhile.

I think if you wear modest attire, And keep it off of social media, It is fine.

What bothers me is all of the youtube videos that are out there, All of the social media videos that are out there. All of the immodest clothing that is out there while practicing it, and etc,.

It is not longer just a live show that you tune in to with maybe a television and 12 channels, Etc, Where the {usually}, Female participant is wearing covering, Modest attire. It is usually the exact opposite of all of this.

I take walks in the evening, sometimes in the afternoons, Rarely in the mornings but sometimes, And my muscles do and often get tight. If I practice it too often I will get sore, However if I don't at all, I will get tight, as well.

I don't do anything spiritual with it other than for physical, exercise, And physical doctoring, and etc. Playing sports is a grueling exercise, But I would run if I could. I would definitely be a runner if I wasn't fearful and concerned about sprained ankles, and etc.

Sports and exercise is fine, But what it has turned in to with the internet and social media, Is not fine. Neither is the clothing. Blessings.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

There is nothing wrong with Yoga. 99% of all people in America doing yoga , and meditating, are simply exercising and learning how to be less stressed. There is nothing demonic about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1