• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

If the Yoga was only a serie of exercises and sessions of relaxing, fine. However, if the practices involves worship or invocation to other gods, ought to be repelled.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

No, Christians cannot practice Yoga. Yoga is tied intrinsically with Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism (Jain Yoga, Karma yoga, Buddhist Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Diety Yoga, Guru Yoga, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga).
Hinduism does not make converts via preaching but getting you to adopt their practices till you are Hindu, Yoga is part of that proccess. Classical Yoga also has gods, “the yoga school of Hinduism accepts a "personal, yet essentially inactive, deity" or "personal god" (Ishvara)” (Wikipedia, Yoga). Tantric Yoga also ties to 10th Century Hinduism and Buddhism. 

A General Definition: 

“Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India and aim to control (yoke) and still the mind, recognizing a detached witness-consciousness untouched by the mind (Chitta) and mundane suffering (Duḥkha).”

Yoga means Yoke, “The Sanskrit noun योग yoga is derived from the root yuj (युज्) "to attach, join, harness, yoke".Yoga is a cognate of the English word "yoke"(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga)

^Its aim to yoke you to the spirituality of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and etc. 

We as Christians are suppose only be yoked to Christ Jesus, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Most of the positions in Yoga are the spiritism, symbolism, and to the gods in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. The Lotus Position is what The Buddha is poised in. 

Jesus says, “And Jesus answered him, “It is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.’” (Luke 4:8)

You cannot serve two masters (Matthew 6:24), and adopt two yokes! 

You must serve no other gods!, “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” (Exodus 20:3). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Not just yoga. I once read that tai chi can help with arthritis, which I endure. So I considered it, then received a "no". My local town classes offered a qi gong class too. I considered that, and got another "no". I got a clue then that these things are not for Christians. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Not just yoga. I once read that tai chi can help with arthritis, which I endure. So I considered it, then received a "no". My local town classes offered a qi gong class too. I considered that, and got another "no". I got a clue then that these things are not for Christians. 

The Eastern philosophies and  religions serpentine into people’s lives under the guise of “health,” and “wellness.” I am glad you discerned those serpents of Tai Chi and Qi Gong. The Eastern spiritual slaveries are seductive, they know most Americans will consider something if its health oriented. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/01/2002

I’ve been doing yoga for years. Even have it on here as an interest of mine. Could yoga be the reason I have so many negative things going on in my life?

Edited by Jillheil
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

Actually this whole health and wellness obsession of many in society now is not of God.  The devil has people focused on themselves instead of on God.  The whole basis of eastern religions from what I understand, is the false notion that we are god so no wonder it is all about self focus which is another way of saying self worship. 

The devil comes but to steal, kill and destroy.  If people are so healthy thanks to this obsession why are health care systems in the west on the brink of collapsing now.  Instead of being healthier the opposite happens.  The devil is a deceiver.

Doesn't mean we should be irresponsible with regard to our health, but our foundation and focus and trust should be in God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

3 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Actually this whole health and wellness obsession of many in society now is not of God.  The devil has people focused on themselves instead of on God.

and that is key to knowing whether it is godly or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

A Christian should exercise caution and pray for discernment regarding involvement in yoga.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

I have a lot of friends who do the exercises only and that's fine.

I would not endorse any yoga classes that also used mental or philsophical beliefs.

Like transcendental meditation, which is the norm.

The Biblical meditation which all Christians.....ALL Christians should be doing is filling your mind fill the Word of God and allowing the Holy Spirit to teach you the deep meanings.  For example, maybe a certian verse or passage spoke to you.  Dwell on it for a few days - rejecting all other superfilious thought.  God will speak to  you and teach you more.

Transcendental meditation is "emptying" your mind of everything and allowing the "universe" to fill it.  Well, if you do that - you open a huge window for demonic forces to fill you mind.  I kid you not.