IGNORED

"Evangelical" vs "Mainline" Protestantism?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

I came across this article that contained several graphs depicting "Evangelical" vs "Mainline" Protestantism. I confess I don't understand the distinction? Can someone help me out?

https://religionnews.com/2021/07/08/survey-white-mainline-protestants-outnumber-white-evangelicals/

It seems I missed the fine print.

All respondents who identify as Christian are then asked: “Would you describe yourself as a ‘born again’ or ‘evangelical Christian,’ or not?” Respondents who self-identify as white, non-Hispanic, Protestant and identify as born-again or evangelical are categorized as white evangelical Protestants. Respondents who self-identify as white, non-Hispanic, Protestant and do not identify as born-again or evangelical are categorized as white mainline Protestants.

https://www.prri.org/research/2020-census-of-american-religion/#_ftn2

It's still a strange distinction in my opinion. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,022
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

It seems I missed the fine print.

https://www.prri.org/research/2020-census-of-american-religion/#_ftn2

It's still a strange distinction in my opinion. 

Evangelicals don't rely on denominational traditions and the hierarchical authority of clergy and their practice of infant sprinkling and confirmation for their inclusion in the body of Christ, but rather their personal experience of conversion and faith in Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

There was also a link within your link;

https://religionnews.com/2021/07/08/what-is-a-mainline-christian-anyway/

For me, the distinction they seem to be making is between traditional denominations (i.e. "Mainline"), and those that stem from the Christian fundamentalist movement in the early 1900s (now generally referred to as "Evangelical"). They also seem to separate out Catholicism into their own category.

I personally think they are somewhat specious distinctions because, 1) within each of the two groups, there is so much variety that is is questionable if they should be lumped together, or if the pertinent distinctions should rather be made elsewhere, and 2) there is a lot of crossover between the two groups (with many traditional denominations holding to fundamentalist beliefs, and some "Evangelical" denominations holding to traditionalist ideas).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Content Count:  7,022
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

27 minutes ago, Tristen said:

There was also a link within your link;

https://religionnews.com/2021/07/08/what-is-a-mainline-christian-anyway/

For me, the distinction they seem to be making is between traditional denominations (i.e. "Mainline"), and those that stem from the Christian fundamentalist movement in the early 1900s (now generally referred to as "Evangelical"). They also seem to separate out Catholicism into their own category.

I personally think they are somewhat specious distinctions because, 1) within each of the two groups, there is so much variety that is is questionable if they should be lumped together, or if the pertinent distinctions should rather be made elsewhere, and 2) there is a lot of crossover between the two groups (with many traditional denominations holding to fundamentalist beliefs, and some "Evangelical" denominations holding to traditionalist ideas).

Would you choose Evangelical or Protestant if required to make a self-appraisal with those choices being the only ones, Tristen?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Would you choose Evangelical or Protestant if required to make a self-appraisal with those choices being the only ones, Tristen?

Tough question. I'd say I'm probably both.

I'm Protestant in the sense of adhering to Sola Scriptura - that the Bible alone is the highest authoritative communication from God to humanity.

Evangelical is a bit trickier. Historically, Evangelical is a word-for-word rephrasing of 'fundamentalist'. I am definitely a fundamentalist in the sense that I adhere whole-heartedly to the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith (e.g. the Divine Authority of Scripture, the Eternal Deity of Christ, the Virgin Birth of Christ, the Vicarious Sacrifice of Christ, the Bodily Resurrection of Christ etc.).

I don't think I've ever called myself an Evangelical. But only because I prefer the term fundamentalist (in the original sense). I have, however, frequently referred to myself as Protestant.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Interesting that this comes up. Yesterday, for my own edification and 'continuing education', I found myself reading through various catechisms from the early reformation onward.

Consistency, is what most stands out. These labels we are discussing have some value, but seem almost artificial--if that makes any sense.

All of us who call Christ 'Lord and Savior' have much more in common that where we may differ.

I suggest a review of creeds and catechisms as well as the 95 theses, 39 articles, the Westminster Docs all the way to the Chicago Statement on biblical Inerrancy.

This exercise can be quite uplifting. The Holy Spirit has been with us all along in a very real way.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tristen said:

Thank you for pointing this out.

The terms are still fuzzy but it seems "mainline" is essentially a synonym for "established." If you belong to a church that's been around for a while then voila! you are mainline. 

I admit the need to divide people leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It appears arbitrary in so many ways. I can see no good coming from it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

12 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

I came across this article that contained several graphs depicting "Evangelical" vs "Mainline" Protestantism. I confess I don't understand the distinction? Can someone help me out?

https://religionnews.com/2021/07/08/survey-white-mainline-protestants-outnumber-white-evangelicals/

Mainline is usually older denominations that have fallen to apostasy and heresy. For example, gay pastors, allowing divorce for a variety of reasons, claiming the Bible is myth, etc.

Evangelical tends toward fundamental beliefs and trusting Jesus personally as Savior to distinct Christians from churchgoers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

13 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

you lost me when I read the link had "white" in it.  to my mind God made one race. Decided not to go there

Evangelicals - Serious Christians  Lives "Church"

Mainline - Casual Christian  Goes to "Church" on Sundays

would be my take

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 1