• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/29/2021 at 7:34 PM, Abdull said:

when i had my revelation and discovered god i sought out to know the lies of this world, and i am curious is the world flat or no?

There are biblical statements misunderstood, for example the Bible term "pillars of the Earth" in context could mean "human rules of the Earth" or even "subterranean pillars that held back the floodwaters of Noah", etc.

The Bible says the Earth is spherical, suspended in a vacuum (Isaiah, Job)!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

There is no evidence the earth is flat, rather it is written that it is a sphere:

And Him (God) who sits [enthroned] on the sphere of The Earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretched out the Heavens like a vaulted bowl, and stretched them out as a tent for a dwelling.” (Isaiah 40:22, Aramaic Bible)

Christopher Columbus pointer to this scripture to make the case that the earth was not flat. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

Christopher Columbus pointer to this scripture to make the case that the earth was not flat. 

Who was he telling the earth was not flat? It was pretty common knowledge, certainly among the educated peoples, that the earth was spherical since the age of the Greeks. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth with remarkable accuracy in something like 240 BC. Subsequent astronomers and mathematicians refined that.

Although Eratosthenes’ calculations were still in use, Posidonius’ system was considered valid by virtue of its inclusion in Ptolemy’s work, and it was Posidonius’ calculations that Christopher Columbus (1451 to 1506) used to convince his patrons to sponsor him as he was able to show them how short a trip across the Atlantic Ocean would be.

My bold (from here). 

Edited by teddyv
clarity

23 hours ago, teddyv said:

Who was he telling the earth was not flat? It was pretty common knowledge, certainly among the educated peoples, that the earth was spherical since the age of the Greeks. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth with remarkable accuracy in something like 240 BC. Subsequent astronomers and mathematicians refined that.

My bold (from here). 

As best as ai can recall I read Christopher Columbus used the Scripture to prove the planet was a sphere in “The Light and The Glory,” By AnnA Wilson Fishel, David Peter Marshal. 

That info about the Greeks is fascinating. How did they determine we live on sphere? 

Just now, Fidei Defensor said:

As best as ai can recall I read Christopher Columbus used the Scripture to prove the planet was a sphere in “The Light and The Glory,” By AnnA Wilson Fishel, David Peter Marshal. 

That info about the Greeks is fascinating. How did they determine we live on sphere? 

Eratosthenes knew of a well in Egypt where the sun would point straight down it at a certain time of year. He had his helper walk to that well, measuring the distance. At another well, on the same day, the angle the sun made in it was measured to create a triangle to determine the distance of arc between the two wells. Then he could extrapolate for the whole earth. I think he came up with a distance under 10% of the actual circumference.

I'm sure people knew the earth was spherical even before that. He was just one of the first to attempt to measure it. I'm not sure how the Greeks (or others) ascertained the earth being a globe initially.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, teddyv said:

Eratosthenes knew of a well in Egypt where the sun would point straight down it at a certain time of year. He had his helper walk to that well, measuring the distance. At another well, on the same day, the angle the sun made in it was measured to create a triangle to determine the distance of arc between the two wells. Then he could extrapolate for the whole earth. I think he came up with a distance under 10% of the actual circumference.

I'm sure people knew the earth was spherical even before that. He was just one of the first to attempt to measure it. I'm not sure how the Greeks (or others) ascertained the earth being a globe initially.

You know, Dante in Paradiso writes of planets being spheres. The Paradiso was published in the early 1300’s, while Columbus is alleged to have brought up sphere of the earth in 1490-2. So that makes more of case people knew the planet was a sphere. 

1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

You know, Dante in Paradiso writes of planets being spheres. The Paradiso was published in the early 1300’s, while Columbus is alleged to have brought up sphere of the earth in 1490-2. So that makes more of case people knew the planet was a sphere. 

From here.

It was around 500 B.C. that Pythagoras first proposed a spherical Earth, mainly on aesthetic grounds rather than on any physical evidence. Like many Greeks, he believed the sphere was the most perfect shape. Possibly the first to propose a spherical Earth based on actual physical evidence was Aristotle (384-322 B.C.), who listed several arguments for a spherical Earth: ships disappear hull first when they sail over the horizon, Earth casts a round shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, and different constellations are visible at different latitudes.

There were probably earlier recognitions of the spherical earth, but either it was not documented, or it was lost. The Babylonians were a pretty clever lot and able to predict eclipses accurately.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

There are more than 250 verses that confirms this. The problem is that people don't take them seriously, but as a mere language figure.

Many get carried away by the appeals of the false science or of the arguments of theologians who have commitment with their religion institutions instead of having engagement with Jesus and His Truth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

On 7/29/2021 at 7:34 PM, Abdull said:

when i had my revelation and discovered god i sought out to know the lies of this world, and i am curious is the world flat or no?

No, the earth is not flat.  And I don't believe the earth is (almost) spherical because I was shown a globe by a teacher and blindly believed them as FE's often accuse the rest of.  I can mathematically prove the earth is a globe and can also do so with a simple protractor and ruler.   That the earth is a globe is beyond dispute.  The ancients knew this for thousands of years.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Having dealt with radio signals in the Electric Utility industry. Radio signals go straight, without relay systems to redirect signals to next in line several miles away, the signals go dead because they drift off into space. Pie are not square or flat.