• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

She was undermining me and insulting my faith. Sometimes it is best to get rid of people who are not good for you. 

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

It would be difficult to have an atheist for a good friend. 

That is not the purpose of Christmas spirit, Jesus was born for all unbelievers.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

17 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Is it your favourite Bible?

I am used to comparing several versions when the verse is difficult to take in.

12 hours ago, David1701 said:

Wait a minute!  You are "respectful" of their atheism?!  How about this:

Ps. 14:1 (WEB)

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt.
They have done abominable works.
There is no one who does good.

Of course I am respectful of anyone's religion or none. I am certainly not going to argue with intelligent friends whose friendship I value. That would be pure arrogance which is counter productive. 

My way is to engage in proper conversation about things as opportunities arise, not ram Jesus and the Bible down their throats and insult their views. 

In short, I actually have friends of all kinds  and nurture them. Some are atheist, gay, Catholic, Jehovah's Witnesses, one is a Mormon . If any of them really disrespect my beliefs then I take steps to stop the friendship. As they would with me. 

Surely it is good to be friends and then work subtly to set an example, be civilised and hope to show them Christ in time. Quickest way to lose friends is bang them on the head with your Bible! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

14 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

Surely it is good to be friends and then work subtly to set an example, be civilised and hope to show them Christ in time. Quickest way to lose friends is bang them on the head with your Bible! 

This is a fair way to deal with those made in God's image. Often, when asked, the unbeliever does not really know why they believe as they do. Sometimes, when exploring their beliefs one can actually encourage them to THINK. Many only believe second and third hand parroted dogma and have never really thought about it deeply.

Blessings.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

35 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

Of course I am respectful of anyone's religion or none. I am certainly not going to argue with intelligent friends whose friendship I value. That would be pure arrogance which is counter productive. 

My way is to engage in proper conversation about things as opportunities arise, not ram Jesus and the Bible down their throats and insult their views. 

In short, I actually have friends of all kinds  and nurture them. Some are atheist, gay, Catholic, Jehovah's Witnesses, one is a Mormon . If any of them really disrespect my beliefs then I take steps to stop the friendship. As they would with me. 

Although I agree with this, we need to consider also the following excerpt:

• 2Ti 4:1,2 -> "I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

52 minutes ago, Leonardo Von said:

Although I agree with this, we need to consider also the following excerpt:

• 2Ti 4:1,2 -> "I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."

This is said to believers I think...:D

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,510
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Pertaining to smart atheists and secular philosophers:

1 Corinthians 3:19 (KJV) For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

For a choir to harmonize, sync, and stay in tune; they have to sing off the same sheet of music. Likewise with translations and versions of the Bible. I'm sure everyone has experienced the following:

Our church is mostly KJV, we have had guest pastors for Homecoming and revivals, using say ESV or other translations. Turn to such and such book, chapter and read along with me. This also happens when I visit other churches. I don't know about anyone else, but to follow along, I have to mentally drown out what is being read from a different translation or I will get lost and confused, if I try to follow along in my translation. 

If a choir is singing together using different words, they cannot harmonize, and the musical notes, tone and flow would be in chaos. 

Preacher: Let's all stand as we read together John 3:1-18.

Congregation: Using 5 or more different translations. It would sound like trying to listen to every single conversation at a crowded restaurant, all at the same time.

It seems to me; scripture memorization would be more difficult floating between translations?

Many are aware of the complexity of the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic language, especially translating it to English word for word, to make an understandable sentence. In many instances it cannot be translated word for word, or there are no single English words for the translation. 

A translation becomes very complex with the original word meanings, then throw in what the translator thinks is the meaning of the original word. How we got our Bible(s) and from which manuscripts and codex's is much too long to discuss.

The Lord promised to preserve His word forever. Something maybe worthwhile to consider. The KJV is written in such a way, a child can understand the Gospel. Is there any doubt, the best-selling book of all time, was turned into a cash cow starting in the nineteenth century, now with hundreds of translations and versions? 

Look at the first few pages of the translation of the Bible you use. Do you see a bunch of annotated copyrights? Questions: Exactly what is a copyright, what is restricted, and why is it there? Most importantly, would the Lord allow and permit His word to be restricted?

I personally believe, the best overall and most accurate translation from copies of the original manuscripts, is the KJV. Add to that the wonderful Old English poetic style and flavor, I love it. 

This is not to say all other translation are bad or corrupt. How many people have been saved using other than the KJV? Like many, I have the tools and resources for lexicon study. Sometimes I will use different translations to get a better word meaning or understanding when studying scripture. 

Many are KJV only, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. There are no royalties involved or paid, no copy and quote restrictions of someone's translation of a translation, etc. 

One last personal thought that comes to mind. Write one technical sentence on a piece of paper, with a minimum of twenty words on a piece of paper. Line up twenty people and read what you wrote to person number one. The rest being out of hearing range. Person #1 walks down to person #2 and quotes what they heard and remember from person #1. This continues down to person #20. How much did that original sentence change from what was written down originally? Was it significantly corrupted? 

What's the point of this silly example? Copyright! Last check, to obtain a copyright, your work has to be at least 15% different from the source that is used. What do you have when those 15% keep combining, compiling upon one another? How and why do we have so many translations and versions of the Bible since the 19th century?

Recommended resource:  http://stewartonbibleschool.org/VITAL/KJV/INDEX.html

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

17 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Who have you been listening to?

I have studied Bible translations, in English, for more than 30 years.  I used to have an RSV (along with many other translations) and I found out about the things I mentioned myself.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Of course I am respectful of anyone's religion or none.

If you are respectful of atheism, then you are respectful of people making the Bible a pack of lies and fairy tales, you are respectful of people denying the Lord Jesus Christ and therefore denying the Father also.  You are being respectful of those whom God calls "fools" (the word carries the connotation of rebels, not merely idiots).  In short, you are respecting what God hates.  This is not a godly attitude at all!

We should have no respect whatever for false religion, in any form.  To do so is to respect that which scatters.

Matt. 12:30 (MKJV) The one who is not with Me is against Me, and the one who does not gather with Me scatters.

2 John 7-11 (WEB)

7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who don’t confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the Antichrist.
  8 Watch yourselves, that we don’t lose the things which we have accomplished, but that we receive a full reward.
  9 Whoever transgresses and doesn’t remain in the teaching of Christ, doesn’t have God. He who remains in the teaching, the same has both the Father and the Son.
  10 If anyone comes to you, and doesn’t bring this teaching, don’t receive him into your house, and don’t welcome him,
  11 for he who welcomes him participates in his evil works. 

1 Cor. 16:22 (MKJV) If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. The Lord comes!

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

23 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I have studied Bible translations, in English, for more than 30 years.  I used to have an RSV (along with many other translations) and I found out about the things I mentioned myself.

A lot of people have studied Bible translations.

• Thumbs Up 1