luigi

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,789
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  0

We are to have our whole love for the Lord (Matthew 22:37), with none other gods before Him (Exodus 20:3). What this means is that if we love other things, such as our cars, or any other number of material things we have today, we then have other gods we love before our love for the Lord. I am guilty of this love for idols, as is probably everyone on this forum. As such, we are then currently all double minded, having faith in our carnal lusts, along with our faith in spiritual God. Fortunately for many of us, there comes a time when the Lord once again shakes terribly the earth that we will cast our idols of gold and silver to the moles and bats, and cease from trusting in the idols of man (Isaiah 2:19-22).

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Isaiah 2:19 And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the Lord, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth. 20 In that day a man shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made each one for himself to worship, to the moles and to the bats; 21 To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the Lord, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth. 22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of ?

Edited by luigi
  • Well Said! 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:22 PM, Josheb said:

How has that occurred in your life, luigi?

I mentioned in my original post that I am as guilty of idolatry, having other gods before God, as probably everyone on this forum has love for some of todays material goods/idols. It appears to me that the Lord has to shake terribly the earth in order to rectify and eliminate the idolatry (love of other gods/material goods) so many of us have today.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:22 PM, Josheb said:

Do you understand the premise of "fortunately," and God acting is contradictory?

If the Lord were not to shake terribly the earth, then the inequities of today would only continue to increase.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,167
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 8/31/2021 at 7:26 AM, luigi said:

What this means is that if we love other things, such as our cars, or any other number of material things we have today, we then have other gods we love before our love for the Lord.

It is possible and very much ok to enjoy cars and things without making them gods in our life.  Do people really put earthly things over God or just enjoy them.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Josheb said:

The word "fortunately" is an indication of chance. Creation is run by God; not chance. 

Blessedly, for many of us, there comes a time when the Lord once again shakes terribly the earth...

Yes, that was mentioned. That does not tell me how the condition that applies to all of us exists in your life. Care to share?

Let's see. I have a hybrid auto that gets me twice the mileage my earlier vehicles got me, and so I love this car and its tech. I have a new refrigerator that is also considerably superior to my old refrigerator. As such, I love my new superior frig. I have a new architectural shingle roof on my house that has a 40 year life rating, vs. my old 25 shingle roof, and so I have affection for my new roof, which I should not have, as these material things constitute the other gods/loves that we are not to have before the Lord. I do not know how I am not to love these new superior tech items. It is a bit of a conundrum. Fortunately, or as you like to use the phrase Blessedly, it appears the Lord has begun to shake terribly the earth, the outcome of which will be that those whose faith cannot be shaken will remain, while those whose faith is feigned, will fall away, choosing these lesser gods, over the Lord (Hebrews 12:26-27). 

Hebrews 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

16 hours ago, other one said:

It is possible and very much ok to enjoy cars and things without making them gods in our life.  Do people really put earthly things over God or just enjoy them.

I certainly hope I do not put earthly things over the Lord. These things that we have affection for nevertheless still constitute other loves/gods that we have, which we are not to have before the Lord. Remember the Lord is a jealous God, and does not wish to share our love within His temple with idols.

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

yes that is a commandment.. we follow by the spirit though the law is in born again believers.. bless u! amen!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Josheb said:

It is not as I like to use. This is of presuppositional importance. If I believe the world runs on fortune then I think, speak, and act in a manner consistent with that belief. Conversely, if I believe the world runs according to a sovereign Creator's will and purpose then I think, speak, and act in a manner consistent with that belief. The use of the word "fortunately" can be a very subtle but still ungodly influence on our lives. Yes, it is a common social convention and most don't split hairs over it but I will suggest these kinds of subtleties can cumulatively have profound effect.

We all speak, ack, and manner according to the world around us. This is why I believe the Lord needs to shake terribly the earth, to break the pattern.

Yes, "fortunately" can be used to have different connotations; but likewise I see the use of the word blessedly used so often in areas where it does not appear appropriate, that it looses much of its significance even when it is used in correct situations.

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

What others may or may not do is no measure of your or my conduct. 

I don't know about yourself Josheb, but most of us interact with others in mutual accordance. If we do not interact with others as they would expect us to interact with them, we are then outside the camp. I have not yet reached this level of faith described in Hebrews 13, where I can exit the comfort and safety of the camp. Therefore, I interact with others within the current system as expected.

Hebrews 13:13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

12 hours ago, Josheb said:

Then let me recommend you stop acting in accordance with the world. Use the word "blessedly," instead of "fortunately," and used the word "blessedly" with integrity. Mean it when you use it. We don't live in a world of chance; we live in a creation created by a Creator and our lives do not occur by fortune. 

Very good Josheb, if what you state is earnest from your heart, you should then be among those who come through the great shaking the Lord has commenced upon the earth. In contrast, those whose faith is feigned and are hypocrites will be among the great multitude who will be shaken out, so that those who cannot be shaken, remain (Hebrews 12:26-27).

Hebrews 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.