• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,553
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, Starise said:

Nah, Dennis you aren't an old fogy you have class. I can see both sides of this issue and this is why I think we need to let people have some flexibility. Did Paul require a certain appearance in those first early churches? Some people probably showed up in nice clothes while other showed up in more casual wear, or maybe they all came in robes which is what I think may have been the clothing of that time. The men probably compared who's robe was the nicest. Who had the nicest sandals.

I recently commented on particularly women's dress in another thread. Basically I think dressing sexually provocative is easier for a woman than for a man. I mean, men basically look like trees. Not much to show there. A woman OTOH , they have things we don't have. The Amish take it way too far, but I think they have the right general idea. Women should know better but some apparently don't.

The biggest hangup I personally have with a church having a dress code is that people who visit the church for the first time might see the church like a bunch of people who are big on dressing up and by inference think they are somehow better because they do. If a wandering stranger shows up in very basic dress what would he think if he had never been in a church before? The word I'll use is 'snoots' they are just a bunch of snoots. We know it isn't true across the board, but I think there are a few. If dressing up is a thing between you and God who am I to question it? As a person who considers himself fairly down to earth, I never have seen the logic in getting dressed up every week but that's my own conviction which I won't attempt to pass off on you or anyone else. I just attended a funeral. I had my suit coat on and I had a tie in my pocket. I just couldn't force myself to wear that tie. Unless my wife were bugging me to death to put it on. I have 3 dozen ties and I hate every one of them.:)

No arguments, I was just presenting an alternate traditional view. 

I was going to address the early church also, but my doctoral thesis was running a bit long. 

As we all know, the early church was persecuted by both the Jews and Romans. The early church was underground home churches. The Jews had no problems wearing their apparel to the synagogues, as the Roman's didn't invite religious descension from them. 

On the other hand, if Messianic Jews or Gentile Christians dressed out of the ordinary one day out of the week, a Sunday and not a Saturday. They would notice that circular red and white thingy on their backs, and target them.

Just more of my thoughts...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  0

There are no Denominations in Gods kingdom

Some may not like what I'm going to say but it is the truth . Christianity has become a cheap word. It's an umbrella word that covers every kind of idealism and belief. It s like going to the Golden Coral. Just pick anything that looks good. As one pastor put it when you ask a guy if he is a Christian. Of course I'm  a Christian, I'm an American.

Edited by Mike Mclees

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  579
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

There are no Denominations in Gods kingdom

Some may not like what I'm going to say but it is the truth . Christianity has become a cheap word. It's and umbrella word that covers every kind of idealism and belief. It s like going to the Golden Coral. Just pick anything the looks good. As one pastor put it when you ask a guy if he is a Christian. Of course Im  a Christian, I'm an American.

I couldn't agree more.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,075
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

WHY  ARE  THERE SO  MANY  DENOMINATIONS 

pride  ---  arrogance  ---  disobedience  ---  lack  of  trust  and  love

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST

• Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

On 9/23/2021 at 12:15 AM, Baltika said:

Why are there so many denominations?

I wish it could be simple.

I'm looking and thinking of joining the Seventh Day Adventist cuz they believe in the Law and Shabbat.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks and God Bless

Baltika

Denominations exist to appeal to like minded traditions and interpretations of man.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

Mark 7:7–13 (AV)
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Old Testament Law specified the sabbaths and feast days. Bearing this also in mind:

Romans 14:5–7 (AV)
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

I am of the belief that the last days / church age (1 John 2:18) is the Sabbath Day...  era. And that every day is as the shabbat b'Shem. 

We are to work these days as the kingdom of priests of God (Revelation 1:6, Revelation 5:10 1 Peter 2:3-9) as did the priests of the Old Covenant who:

Matthew 12:5 (AV)
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

Understand, the Lord Jesus himself withdrew for rest and prayer (God established a basic work / rest cycle i.e. 6 days labor 1 day rest) so we are not to work every moment of our lived in this 2000 year old sabbath era...

The way to get away from the traditions of man is what I refer to as the keys to the kingdom (2 Peter 1:20-21  / 1 John 4:1 / Acts 17:11 etc.) to get God's version of the truth / Bible / calling  / ministry / Grace.

Man's way is the way to hell. God's way is the way to eternal life with Jesus Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,117
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

11 hours ago, JohnD said:

Denominations exist to appeal to like minded traditions and interpretations of man.

Well said, John D, it's as simple as that, and God's Word contains guidelines to strengthen our communion under human creations of organisation and government.

We want things to be done decently and in order, therefore some structure is required and adherence to it desired.

However, some structures are not conducive to spiritual growth and quench the Holy Spirit, so we need to correct or avoid these.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Josheb said:

I'll take this up in a separate op if you like because I don't want to derail this one but there are several problems in those two sentences. 

Let me first say I like Heiser.

I may or may not discuss Dr. Heiser's research as I see fit.  Do not derail this thread @Josheb .

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 9/23/2021 at 1:15 AM, Baltika said:

I'm looking and thinking of joining the Seventh Day Adventist cuz they believe in the Law and Shabbat.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks and God Bless

Baltika

James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [a]without reproach, and it will be given to him.

James 127 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained [a]by the world.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  273
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,327
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 9/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, Baltika said:

Can anyone help me?

Thanks and God Bless

Baltika

Hi Baltika,

Such a great question for it brings up the truth of whether the Lord is bringing His Body to maturity or He has done a poor job of it.

So if you look at Acts 20: 27 - 30 you`ll see that Paul taught his disciples the whole counsel of God - all the truths of Christ, His character and His purposes, especially for the Body of Christ.

Then you`ll notice that Paul warned them that savage wolves would come in & also among them who would reach perverse things. Thus we see from history that great error came in over the centuries - Bishops instead of Apostles, infant sprinkling instead of adult believer`s baptism, tradition instead of listening to the Holy Spirit and so on.

Then in the Middle of what is called the dark Ages, (many believers martyred, burnt at the stake etc) truth dawned upon a monk called Martin Luther. He realised that it is by faith in Christ and not doing penance, that one is saved. From then on more truths became clarified by the Holy Spirit, (whom the Lord sent to guide us into all truth, John 16: 13), and more people were listening.

Believers who received the revelation f adult baptism in water, were later called Baptists. Then those who followed Wesley speaking in the fields received the revelation of Holy living and were called Methodists, (having a method of holy living). Lots of other groups formed - Presbyterian, (ruled by a Presbytery of elders) and so on. last century we see believers receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit, and being called Pentecostals. 

Thus we see a pattern emerging that the names of the different denominations refer to a specific truth that they had received and held on to. Many died for such beliefs. Thus we need to appreciate what we have today for those truths were held often by the blood of martyrs.

In the middle of the last century the Holy Spirit was received across the Body of Christ, and became known as the Charismatic move of God. Charisma, meaning gift. A lot of ministers received and related well with those of other groups. There was also some strange stuff too, as people used this for their own self.

Other moves of God have been since across the Body, and false teachings followed, especially in the prophetic move. Thus we need to be very careful to what we listen to.

Finally in our day we need to `hold fast to the head - Christ,` as Paul warned his disciples in Colossians. (Col.2: 18 - 23) And that means Christ alone, NOT the Law and those who try and fulfill the Law.

So may we appreciate all the truths the different groups stand for but continue to seek the Lord and relate to those around and not get caught up in `fads,` etc.

Marilyn.