Greenie

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Just a topical discussion here but what do you like (a little more) Teaching, by that I mean being taught the contexts and little details about the scripture. About its roots and how the scriptures line up with other scripture. 

Or do you like Preaching more, by this one I mean good ol holy ghost filled preaching. A minister whose just on fire about the word 

To be honest,  I love them both but...I really get into good teaching. I love to get into a good Bible study and get knowledge that I didn't receive before. Right now I'm listening to Dr. Chuck Missler and he brings the Bible and science together. I'll admit there's some stuff I don't understand he talks about and that I need to test the spirits but man does he reveal somethings (I don't think you get in church.) Also I've been listening to a little bit of Dr. Michael Hiser and he brings out somethings in the O.T. that I wouldn't have got on my own. 

Does anyone else listen to these two Bible scholars?? If so what do you like and dislike about there teachings??

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Sure do, and many more. The late Chuck Missler is the one who discovered something fascinating, that no one else ever put together.

FIRST TEN GENERATIONS

Adam (Man)

Seth (Appointed)

Enosh (Mortal)

Kenan (Sorrow)

Mahalalel - Mahalaleel (the blessed God)

Jared (shall come down)

Enoch (teaching)

Methuselah (His death shall bring)

Lamech (the despairing)

Noah (rest or comfort)

“Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow, (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest.”

Agreed; Dr. Heiser brings the biblical spiritual into focus and connects the dots, and how it is all related and fits together. It is refreshing Heiser explains everything so the layman can understand it. I have many books from both Heiser and Missler. I have learned a ton from their books and YouTube videos. If you don't mind me saying; you are on the right path to increasing your biblical understanding. 

Among so many others, I would also highly recommend you check out the tons of videos / books by Billy Crone, if you have the time. 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Expository preaching accomplishes both...and I think more of it is a good thing.

:-)

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dennis1209

That one got me started and really wanting to watch and learn what he's got to teach. The part about the tribes in the book of numbers is also a little nugget of info. Glad to know someone else enjoys his teachings.

@Alive you are also right and true on your response. To me its hard to find a preacher who can do both. I find they're either good at one or the other.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

23 minutes ago, Greenie said:

Just a topical discussion here but what do you like (a little more) Teaching, by that I mean being taught the contexts and little details about the scripture. About its roots and how the scriptures line up with other scripture. 

Or do you like Preaching more, by this one I mean good ol holy ghost filled preaching. A minister whose just on fire about the word 

To be honest,  I love them both but...I really get into good teaching. I love to get into a good Bible study and get knowledge that I didn't receive before. Right now I'm listening to Dr. Chuck Missler and he brings the Bible and science together. I'll admit there's some stuff I don't understand he talks about and that I need to test the spirits but man does he reveal somethings (I don't think you get in church.) Also I've been listening to a little bit of Dr. Michael Hiser and he brings out somethings in the O.T. that I wouldn't have got on my own. 

Does anyone else listen to these two Bible scholars?? If so what do you like and dislike about there teachings??

Like you Greenie, I enjoy both, as one can go to my head, and the other to my heart. I'm sure there are reasons to follow protocols that are popular, but I prefer the teacher / preacher be led by the spirit, and not by a formula. I can sense the difference.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

35 minutes ago, Greenie said:

All preaching should be led by the Holy Spirit, whether it be exhortation, exposition, or a mixture.  We also have to be careful not to confuse emotionalism with Holy Spirit fire, because they can appear similar.

I find expository preaching to be far better than topical preaching, generally speaking, because, in topical preaching, I've found that the preacher often pays insufficient attention to context, meanings of words, etc..  They seem to use many illustrations and not much Scripture.  In expository preaching, you get the context, meanings of words, how the text ties in with other texts, and the exhortations that flow from the foundational doctrine - the best of all worlds.

I've haven't heard of Dr. Chuck Missler, so I can't comment on him.

I've only heard a little from Dr. Michael Heiser, but I'm somewhat wary of him.  If I do listen to more, I think that I'll test it very carefully.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,119
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

For me, my interest depends a lot on the teacher or preacher. Either one can have the same effect as giving me a sleeping pill if they are boring. I hate to admit I have nodded off on several occasions. The teacher is more stimulation to me because it's often a two way exchange and usually causes me to think more deeply. The preacher OTOH is one way leaving the participant to sit there for large amounts of time to either take in or endure it.Some preachers tend to present a lot more like teachers. Pulling their presentation from the quotes of various famous theologians, almost as if they are presenting a college course or something. Have you ever noticed talking to a pastor and hearing him behind a pulpit are often two different things? Pastors often take on a different persona. Almost as if in seminary they were instructed to have a specific kind of delivery when giving a sermon after which they return to being a normal person.

For me, the best pastors are those who talk to groups similar to the way they address individuals. It feels more like a one on one personal exchange and not some theatrical box of delivery tricks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

This is one of the benefits in the home church type environment. That more intimate and collaborative exchange--as long as the folks are looking to the 'Head'--Christ and as a practical matter/experience, being collectively aware of Him, who is the Head.

:-)

When I was a young preacher and a member of a denomination, there were elder 'preachers' with a certain style that were looked up to. Content could be very good, but much of the focus was on style. This is true, however, the Lord is Lord even then and will graciously provide for His own. He is funny like that. That 'style' didn't suit me and I ended up going another way, as the Lord would have it. I used to be far more judgemental and quick to criticize. Thankfully, over time and disciplining--the Lord tempered that to a degree. These days, I seem to see things with more grace--if I may with some trepidation, say that.

The more intimate setting is available in most congregations with pews in the set aside groups of various sorts.

One night a week (Fridays) we had separate sisters and brother meetings. Those times were affective in discipling and growth. Boys and young men becoming men and girls and young women becoming women. There is more than one type of maturity.

@David1701

What makes you wary of heiser?? I'm curious to know. I also agree with your explanation on topical preaching, not much depth to it. I'm seeking to find out what the Bible is really meaning to tell us. 

@Starise 

I agree with your whole post. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions on expository teachers or preacher? Someone new i can look into

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

I have experienced fiery preachers who blather on but say very little. 

I have never heard a teacher, no matter who bland the delivery ever say nothing

(And then I have heard the firey preachers say quite a bit)

So the content is more important than the delivery.

I don't want to hear some man's opinion I want to hear the word of God

This can be done right through fiery preaching and it can be done wrong (Billy  Graham did a good job at being both fiery and word driven)

but again I have never seen it done wrong with teaching.

So I will default to teaching

• Thumbs Up 1