The Barbarian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,168
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

Yes. That's the proper spelling.    It was kinda variable in the 1700s.   What we call oxygen was referred to as "dephlogistonated air."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,389
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, The Barbarian said:

So I can believe the judges (some of who were appointed by Trump) or I can believe your guy who wrote a book, Rudy who admitted to one judge that it wasn't about fraud, or Sidney Powell...
Sidney Powell’s Defense: ‘No Reasonable Person’ Would Have Believed Her Election Claims

Lawyers representing attorney Sidney Powell, who was sued for defamation by Dominion Voting Systems in January, argued this week that “no reasonable person” would have believed her claims about election fraud and she is therefore not liable.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/03/24/sidney-powells-defense-no-reasonable-person-would-have-believed-her-election-claims/

So, facing the consequences of her behavior, Powell tosses all the people who believed her under the bus in an attempt to save herself.   I'd be really hacked if I had listened to her and then treated like that.

She had people under oath telling her of things that they had done, so I would not put any blame on her...

I guess we will just have to see how it all plays out in the end.   

10 hours ago, other one said:

She had people under oath telling her of things that they had done, so I would not put any blame on her...

She's a lawyer.   She surely knew that declaring what someone said as an established fact, was going to get her into trouble.    Now she's saying that no reasonable person would have believed what she was telling us.   But earlier, she claimed that she believed it.

10 hours ago, other one said:

I guess we will just have to see how it all plays out in the end.   

Doesn't look so good for her, does it?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

On 10/19/2021 at 12:54 AM, The Barbarian said:

Who knows what else they teach there?    Voodoo?    Phlogeston?    Flat Earth?   

I feel better about living in Texas, now.

I am not impressed with the title of your post relating to people being dumb so I will not reply. 

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I am not impressed with the title of your post relating to people being dumb so I will not reply. 

You just did.

The irony of a self-described institution of learning, doing something that incredibly dumb is overwhelming.   

Edited by The Barbarian

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,389
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

9 hours ago, The Barbarian said:

She's a lawyer.   She surely knew that declaring what someone said as an established fact, was going to get her into trouble.    Now she's saying that no reasonable person would have believed what she was telling us.   But earlier, she claimed that she believed it.

Doesn't look so good for her, does it?

Depends on where you are viewing from. With the corrupt Justice system we seem to have in some places it might not be.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 10/19/2021 at 3:54 AM, The Barbarian said:

Who knows what else they teach there?    Voodoo?    Phlogeston?    Flat Earth?   

I feel better about living in Texas, now.

This whole pandemic IMO was an excuse to turn political and seize power.  The thing that makes me angry is the pandemic is just bad enough that the elderly and weaker members of our society had fatal consequences, so doubt is then introduced as to who will be next. Also, watch out for statistics of those who died OF COVID vs those who died WITH COVID.  Both are considered COVID deaths even if they died in an accident. This exaggerates the numbers to keep fear amongst the population going.  And remember this.  From a political realm "follow the science" means that science is what the popular vote of the scientists say and if you don't agree you are stupid. What ever happened to one scientist (as history has shown) that proven a popular concept wrong and the rest be damned?

53 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

This whole pandemic IMO was an excuse to turn political and seize power.

Hard to see how.

The thing that makes me angry is the pandemic is just bad enough that the elderly and weaker members of our society had fatal consequences, so doubt is then introduced as to who will be next.

Let's see... right now...

Out of every 414 Americans, one of them is dead from COVID-19.   Seems like a lot to me.   And no, not just the elderly and weaker members.    Lots of healthy, athletic people died.   And many, many more have "long haul" symptoms that are debilitating; no one knows if those will eventually go away or not.

Published studies (see here and here) and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body.

Which lingering symptoms are common?

The most common symptoms are fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, inability to exercise, headache, and difficulty sleeping. Since COVID-19 is a new disease that first appeared in December 2019, we have no information on long-term recovery rates.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-tragedy-of-the-post-covid-long-haulers-202010152479

Also, watch out for statistics of those who died OF COVID vs those who died WITH COVID.  Both are considered COVID deaths even if they died in an accident.

This is a common claim, but it's false.   Presently, the best information is that we have greatly underreported COVID cases and even COVID deaths.

Estimated 35% of COVID deaths unreported

The authors noted that seroprevalence surveys are essential to monitoring progress toward herd immunity, which occurs when roughly 60% of a population has antibodies that can help slow community transmission. In comparison, reported case numbers are underestimates due to many symptomatic people not seeking testing or medical care and the estimated 40% who have no symptoms.

"The US population remains a long way from herd immunity even with millions of new infections each week," the researchers wrote. "The number of estimated COVID-19 deaths is also remarkably more than the reported deaths in the US through November 15, 2020, supporting the conclusion that approximately 35% of COVID-19 deaths are not reported."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/01/study-us-covid-cases-deaths-far-higher-reported

What ever happened to one scientist (as history has shown) that proven a popular concept wrong and the rest be damned?

Comes down to evidence.   And that's why the science works.

Edited by The Barbarian

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

1 hour ago, The Barbarian said:

Hard to see how.

Let's see... right now...

Out of every 414 Americans, one of them is dead from COVID-19.   Seems like a lot to me.   And no, not just the elderly and weaker members.    Lots of healthy, athletic people died.   And many, many more have "long haul" symptoms that are debilitating; no one knows if those will eventually go away or not.

Published studies (see here and here) and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body.

Which lingering symptoms are common?

The most common symptoms are fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, inability to exercise, headache, and difficulty sleeping. Since COVID-19 is a new disease that first appeared in December 2019, we have no information on long-term recovery rates.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-tragedy-of-the-post-covid-long-haulers-202010152479

This is a common claim, but it's false.   Presently, the best information is that we have greatly underreported COVID cases and even COVID deaths.

Estimated 35% of COVID deaths unreported

The authors noted that seroprevalence surveys are essential to monitoring progress toward herd immunity, which occurs when roughly 60% of a population has antibodies that can help slow community transmission. In comparison, reported case numbers are underestimates due to many symptomatic people not seeking testing or medical care and the estimated 40% who have no symptoms.

"The US population remains a long way from herd immunity even with millions of new infections each week," the researchers wrote. "The number of estimated COVID-19 deaths is also remarkably more than the reported deaths in the US through November 15, 2020, supporting the conclusion that approximately 35% of COVID-19 deaths are not reported."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/01/study-us-covid-cases-deaths-far-higher-reported

Comes down to evidence.   And that's why the science works.

Not saying COVID is not bad.  Not saying that at all.  That's my point, I think it's bad enough (as I already said) that it can be convoluted into political power with the fear factor. I'm not against vaccines (I have mine and I'm a guy who does not normally take flu shots) because I did not know how bad it could get, either.  The evidence is there for those who are vaccinated (and I add to my resistance biblically by spending hours in the sun during the summer for those healthy vit D rays).  Let it be known, too that while we can look at data, there is something to be said regarding anecdotal evidence.  What I have in mind was a friend at work who knew a police officer who was TOLD to consider the death COVID related when something else such as an accident killed them. So how many of those are around?  No math tells us as it is not reported other than to use equally questionable assertions that those kinds are "conspiracy theorists".  The problem with statistical mathematics is something called confirmation bias (a good example is saturated fats are bad by discarding the evidence against the premise). Statistics is what I call "political mathematics" depending how one defines the boundaries.  That's why I personally stay with spherical trigonometry.  LOL

8 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

Let it be known, too that while we can look at data, there is something to be said regarding anecdotal evidence.  What I have in mind was a friend at work who knew a police officer who was TOLD to consider the death COVID related when something else such as an accident killed them.

Turns out, stories are less useful than data.   Anyone can tell a story.   But the data clearly shows that COVID-19 deaths are significantly underreported.  

10 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

The problem with statistical mathematics is something called confirmation bias (a good example is saturated fats are bad by discarding the evidence against the premise).

So show us how the statisticians did that in determining that COVID-19 deaths were underreported.    Confirmation bias only works when you jigger the sampling to fit your preconceptions.  Show us how they did that.

11 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

Statistics is what I call "political mathematics" depending how one defines the boundaries.

It's just math.   Figures don't lie; liars may figure, but the procedure always gives them away.   Show us that the data from the epidemic was so mishandled.