• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,028
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Often it is best to sell the buildings and give the proceeds to a worthy cause. 

Remember, the ekklesia is the people, who are mobile, not tied to bricks and mortar.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Where you get together is unimportant, as you are right the buildings are immaterial, but the point is you need to meet...staying at home watching tv isnt fellowshipping.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,028
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

45 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Where you get together is unimportant, as you are right the buildings are immaterial, but the point is you need to meet...staying at home watching tv isnt fellowshipping.

Agreed. Good fellowshipping online though if you can't mesh into a physical setting.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

As someone who's pretty much housebound I feel differently. The power of God isn't limited by technology or distance. I agree wholeheartedly that simply sitting on the couch watching tv isn't going to church. But the same could be said of going into a church building, sitting on a pew, and going no further than exchanging pleasantries and greetings with people. The point is any gathering of believers is what we make of it. If there's a message board, a forum, a place for comments, then people can and should check on each other and offer assistance and encouragement as they're able.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I've given much thought to this question myself. Especially since our church is mainly composed of the elderly and senior citizens. Unless the Lord intervenes, there will not be enough members, attendees or finances to keep our doors open in the coming next few years.

Hebrews 10:25 (KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

By all reports I have seen, church attendance is way, way down; even prior to this purported pandemic. Everyone that is "watching", would agree, we see "the day" approaching. This verse implies, it is even more important to collectively congregate in the last days (a.k.a. church). 

In this period of Covid, we should be taking some precautions and using our God given common sense. I pose this question, and I do not know the answer to: During other historical plagues (1916 Spanish flu, the Black Death, ring around the Rosey, Small Pox, etc.), did Christians and the church forsake the assembling of themselves? Would that show a lack of trust and faith? 

Like everyone else, we have church attendees and families coming down with this Covid, some people not attending for fear of catching it. I personally do not see any conditional clauses for not gathering together; such as "unless" such and such occurs, of "if" this or that? 

As I previously mentioned, church attendance has been faltering well before this Covid. I'm thinking it is associated with the apostacy and birth pains of the last days. 

How does the salt and light uplift one another, visit the sick, dying, and help the needy of our church and the community, share the Gospel with open church doors from here?

Under a Rock.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

I believe taking this to an extreme becomes a form of legalism. One more thing for a brother to point the finger at another brother for. While I am a regular attender and a participant in many of the services, I understand there are times when staying home that week is  in your best interest. It's actually better for health and recharge for someone who has, of necessity, pushed themselves to an extreme or isn't feeling well and needs a day off. If a brother stays away for an extended period of time and stops contact with the church I would hope someone takes notice and cares enough to contact them to see if they are ok. I don't think it's good to habitually miss church.

I understand lots of people are unable to get out. There is usually a way, health permitting, a person can get into a small group, bible study, mid week service if working Sunday. The idea is to build relationships and continually communicate the word to one another.To pray for and support one another. I have heard outdoorsmen say they feel closer to God in nature instead of being in a church building. In one sense that is true so far as examining God's creation. In another sense, I believe the expectation of scripture is that we REGULARLY stay in fellowship with one another. One is not a substitute for the other.

There are many reasons why people don't attend. There are also many excuses. I am not a fair judge here. Only God knows a person's heart. At the extreme end of blowing off all the scriptures that says it's important and saying it doesn't matter at all. I am not in agreement with that. It DOES matter.

If you are in a church that left a very bad taste in your mouth I suggest looking for one that you agree with theologically. Theology isn't the be all end all either. There are churches who are tight theologically and the people pride themselves on teaching the right things. All the while none of them are practicing any of it.....another consideration is that churches are made up of fallible humans. Good Christian people sometimes slip up and do bad unchristian things. When we stand before God one day to give an account of ourselves I don't want to be around when God gets to the person who blames everyone else as the reason they shirked their duties as a Christian.

If you have no idea where to go, I suggest praying for the Spirit's leadership as to where you should go. 

The person who goes off fuming about all of the hypocrites in the church and then gives every excuse in the book for not going when they seem to find a way to do everything else they want to do is only harming themself.

It's sad to see the results of a person's life who lives as a recluse and decides to stay away from God's people if they were a Christian to start with. There an empty welcome seat for you in a body of believers somewhere. You can bet on that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

I didnt write this but its spot on.

FB_IMG_1635307863068.jpg

God is not contained to 4 walls. Yes, God is everywhere and God is still with you and you can serve Him if you are not in a Church. Some can't attend a Church and there are other reasons a person doesn't attend a Church. They are still saved if they have genuinely given themselves to Christ. Not everyone who attends a Church is saved. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I've given much thought to this question myself. Especially since our church is mainly composed of the elderly and senior citizens. Unless the Lord intervenes, there will not be enough members, attendees or finances to keep our doors open in the coming next few years.

Hebrews 10:25 (KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

By all reports I have seen, church attendance is way, way down; even prior to this purported pandemic. Everyone that is "watching", would agree, we see "the day" approaching. This verse implies, it is even more important to collectively congregate in the last days (a.k.a. church). 

In this period of Covid, we should be taking some precautions and using our God given common sense. I pose this question, and I do not know the answer to: During other historical plagues (1916 Spanish flu, the Black Death, ring around the Rosey, Small Pox, etc.), did Christians and the church forsake the assembling of themselves? Would that show a lack of trust and faith? 

Like everyone else, we have church attendees and families coming down with this Covid, some people not attending for fear of catching it. I personally do not see any conditional clauses for not gathering together; such as "unless" such and such occurs, of "if" this or that? 

As I previously mentioned, church attendance has been faltering well before this Covid. I'm thinking it is associated with the apostacy and birth pains of the last days. 

How does the salt and light uplift one another, visit the sick, dying, and help the needy of our church and the community, share the Gospel with open church doors from here?

Under a Rock.jpg

The early church met even though getting caught meant death. Were not called to play it safe, were called to be a light to the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

God is not contained to 4 walls. Yes, God is everywhere and God is still with you and you can serve Him if you are not in a Church. Some can't attend a Church and there are other reasons a person doesn't attend a Church. They are still saved if they have genuinely given themselves to Christ. Not everyone who attends a Church is saved. 

all those points are true...except one. "There are other reasons"

Yes some people are home bound for health reasons. I would say then the blame falls on their surrounding christians for not bringing the church to them.

For all the "other reasons" are not reasons but excuses. I agree going to church doesn't make you saved, and not going doesnt mean your not. But the Bible is very clear that we were not meant to be alone and we are not to forsake the fellowship. 

When i say church im not limiting it to the traditional definition of church. It can be a home church or whatever, but the point is we are to come together as one and worship God. The Bible commands it.

To not do so for anything other then health reasons is disobedience. And for the bed ridden, if the church isnt coming to them then the church is in disobedience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1