• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well i know this is a strange question, but was wondering if anyone here is/was also working at a job through some staffing agency, and then i will further explain my own experience, thanks.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I've gotten work through staffing agencies in my area over the years. They can come in handy especially when you get blindsided by an unexpected lay off. It's often easier to grab some kind of work to keep the lights on while looking for something else. There are plenty of temp-to-hire jobs available which are often easier to get for the short term while you go through the hoops for another full time position. I did that several times because of changing industries. One good thing about the temp-to-hire positions is they can work like a long job interview - for both you and the company. You'll know if you want to stay by the time the 90 period is over.

Yes i also have gotten several jobs over the years through them but almost none of them worked out or lasted more than a couple of months before the assignment ended or i just quit. Usually because they always seem to send in way too many temps to the same company and you end up standing around or there is just not enough work to begin with. And also i have never heard of any staffing agency being either run or formed by Christians, and in fact most of them come off as just the opposite as far as the type of people in there offices and there attitudes. If you do quit an assignment then from that point on you will likely bel treated as an inferior or talked down to like you're some teenager who just started working. 

Anyway just kind of needed to get that off my chest mainly because of a recent bad experience i had where i was upset and frustrated at not being able to use a tablet as well as everyone else, and did something stupid when i slammed the refrigerator door a bit too hard as i was leaving and someone in the hallway confronted me about it but i just left. Anyway i get a call/message from the agency asking why i left and slammed the door(LOL), well actually it wasn't funny just thought it was weird, but really didn't surpirse me given previous experiences with other temp companies. And they always say there hiring but then you find out they only have a couple of jobs in places too far to commute. Anyway just seems like if you can't get work at one of these places then your just kind of screwed because i havent been able to get a job even at Mcdonalds or other fast food places, probably because they would rather hire someone with experience i'm guessing? But i am always open to suggestion but seems like i just keep hearing the same thing, that EVERYONE is hiring, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will hire you, just saying.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

It's been a while since I worked for a temp agency - back in my university days. They kept me pretty busy over the summer doing a variety of things, mostly labour work like warehousing and landscaping. One warehouse was wanting to take me on permanently but I was heading back to school which was a bit more important - although that place hired me back each summer and even after finishing up school before I got into my field. That's really only one anecdote so not a state of all temp agencies.

From my time working there and working along other temps, I realized it's much like walla299 said above - it's a longer on the job interview. Good workers will get hired if there is room. I worked alongside a few where it was clear why they were still stuck as temps and not being hired on by anyone.

Out here, there are all sorts of jobs waiting to be filled, especially in the retail and service industry, but also construction. Our high-school aged daughter walked into the local grocery store last year and got a job essentially without an interview.

Not sure why McD's would not hire anyone. They and other fast food places are the ones who actually train a lot of kids in how to work, but I've seen older folks working at many as well. Never worked there, but my sisters had, and several of my nieces and nephews have as well. You certainly can't afford slack at McD's. 

At the end of the day, I'd venture that most businesses want reliable, dependable workers: show up, do the job you are asked to do, don't make the same mistakes over and over again, listen, and learn. 

Edited by teddyv
typo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502

On 1/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, CaptWalker said:

Well i know this is a strange question, but was wondering if anyone here is/was also working at a job through some staffing agency, and then i will further explain my own experience, thanks.

Yes, I've worked at a temp agency and help hire people from temp to full employment. Why do you ask?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502

On 1/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, CaptWalker said:

Yes i also have gotten several jobs over the years through them but almost none of them worked out or lasted more than a couple of months before the assignment ended or i just quit. Usually because they always seem to send in way too many temps to the same company and you end up standing around or there is just not enough work to begin with. And also i have never heard of any staffing agency being either run or formed by Christians, and in fact most of them come off as just the opposite as far as the type of people in there offices and there attitudes. If you do quit an assignment then from that point on you will likely bel treated as an inferior or talked down to like you're some teenager who just started working. 

Anyway just kind of needed to get that off my chest mainly because of a recent bad experience i had where i was upset and frustrated at not being able to use a tablet as well as everyone else, and did something stupid when i slammed the refrigerator door a bit too hard as i was leaving and someone in the hallway confronted me about it but i just left. Anyway i get a call/message from the agency asking why i left and slammed the door(LOL), well actually it wasn't funny just thought it was weird, but really didn't surpirse me given previous experiences with other temp companies. And they always say there hiring but then you find out they only have a couple of jobs in places too far to commute. Anyway just seems like if you can't get work at one of these places then your just kind of screwed because i havent been able to get a job even at Mcdonalds or other fast food places, probably because they would rather hire someone with experience i'm guessing? But i am always open to suggestion but seems like i just keep hearing the same thing, that EVERYONE is hiring, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will hire you, just saying.

I was hired from a temp post to a job I enjoyed for seven years. There are two kinds of temp jobs:

1) Fill in for an absentee worker who shall return to their post

2) Work without benefits for a while in a test for full employment

Don't give up!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

I got into my current warehouse job through a staffing company, 90 day probation period but I have been there nearly 6 years now

i had no negative experiences with the company myself, I look at it like a weeding process without the actual warehouse getting there hands dirty, if you couldn’t fit the mold they wanted they didn’t have to interact with you but would ask the staffing company to terminate your position and let them handle the paperwork

but I have worked for temp companies in the past knowing temp work meant just that

i would be hired to do some labor for a month and told ‘ mabey we will consider bringing you on full time, but it was basically just doing jobs no one else wanted to do “ cleaning a pallet yard”. Driving a forklift in the snow ❄️, or middle of summer sweaty work .. once we got the place cleaned up we were let go, it was ‘ temp’ work so it wasn’t a permanent thing

but no real bad experiences with these type companies in the past from myself

SHALOM❤️

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, CaptWalker said:

But i am always open to suggestion but seems like i just keep hearing the same thing, that EVERYONE is hiring, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will hire you, just saying.

Well a person must be likable and be seen as a good worker before being considered to be hired. You have to make yourself and them worth it. Also its good to be a faithful tither. Divine intervention on Job search and employment comes through Tithing. 

But the only problem is trying to figure out who to tithe to? And then there's another reason for someone to criticize you because you didn't tithe to who they thought you should...but that's ok because it seems like all you get nowadays when asking for simple advice are people jumping at the chance to put someone down and make themselves feel better, i suppose? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, CaptWalker said:

Years ago I worked with a temp staffing agency. They made a ton of money and they gave me very little.