Seeker1834

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Some believe the Ten Commandments are still to be followed and some don't. I am trying to collect the verses people believe back up the belief to still keep them. I've only found about five or six. Are there more I'm missing.

OK I am editing this post.

I am only looking for the verses that support keeping the ten commandments. I appreciate that people are explaining  what and how the transition from law to new covenant was carried out. But I am only lookin for the corroboration that people use to believe in keeping the ten.

Edited by Seeker1834

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Are there any verses that tell you to stop following them? I don't know a single commandment that wouldn't be followed by doing as Jesus said. Namely, worship God with all your heart and treat others as you want to be treated.

Before Jesus, following the commandments was the only way to heaven. After Jesus, that way doesn't work anymore.

The law/commandments were given to a people that God knew couldn't follow them. That's why the cross was necessary.

But if you think that now gives you free reign to sin, you've missed the whole point.

Edited by toocoolblue

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

When there is division on a topic I will defer to my spirit and faith, with more study.
    Anything done without faith is sin. What does your spirit say to do/not do?

Here is what God says;

Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;
I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter,
not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law
until everything is accomplished”

For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

The commandments are to be kept.  Believers go beyond the requirements of the law when we walk according to the Holy Spirit.  We go the extra mile and become a blessing to our neighbors.  We are no longer under the law when we walk in the Spirit.  

14 hours ago, toocoolblue said:

Are there any verses that tell you to stop following them? I don't know a single commandment that wouldn't be followed by doing as Jesus said. Namely, worship God with all your heart and treat others as you want to be treated.

Before Jesus, following the commandments was the only way to heaven. After Jesus, that way doesn't work anymore.

The law/commandments were given to a people that God knew couldn't follow them. That's why the cross was necessary.

But if you think that now gives you free reign to sin, you've missed the whole point.

Eph2:15 says all law was done away with. The new covenant is all about faith in Jesus as John 1:1 and john 3:16. Jesus and his decides were teaching new covenant jews did not like it so they had him crucified. New Covenant still require no sinning. Sorry for the under line no idea how that happened. Thank for your thoughts

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,061
  • Content Per Day:  3.30

21 hours ago, Seeker1834 said:

Some believe the Ten Commandments are still to be followed and some don't. I am trying to collect the verses people believe back up the belief to still keep them. I've only found about five or six. Are there more I'm missing.

Perhaps a little background will help you decide.

God chose Israel from among all nations to be the only nation where He would dwell. To be qualified for this high calling, Israel must fulfill three attributes:

1. They must be a people who express the nature of their God
  2. They must be ritually clean
  3. They must display the blessings and/or severity of their God

To no other nation is this requirement given simply because God did not dwell among them. The Law was given as man's side of a Covenant which Moses ratified in a blood sacrifice. God and Israel were under Contract, and no other nation was included. If a man passed through, or dwelt in Israel's territory, he was obliged to be under this Law until he crossed the borders of Israel. Israel where forbidden to have relations with other nations. they were to be a separate people with life and service according to the Laws of this Covenant.

Jesus Christ, Son of David, came to offer Israel, not only Canaan, but the whole world as an inheritance. This Israel refused. So our Lord Jesus turns to an-other people, one that He takes members OUT OF Israel, and OUT OF the Nations, called the New Man (Eph.2:15). But those OUT OF the Nation of Israel would not cleave to these from the other Nations because of the Law's requirement that they be separate. So God deals with this problem in the following manner;

He allows His Son Jesus to be under the Covenant of Law. When Jesus fulfills the Law in its entirety, God takes these righteous works and declares it His standard of righteousness. It is called "the righteousness of God". Then, for the New Man, God sets aside the Covenant of Law. Now, I repeat; FOR THE NEW MAN ONLY is the Law replaced by Christ's works. If a man who is an Israelite refuses Christ, he remains under Covenant. If that same man embraces Christ, he is a New Creature, with His past wiped out, and with the IMPUTED righteousness of God (2nd Cor:5:17). The other Nations never had a Covenant and are never presented with a Covenant of Law.

When Jesus said that one jot or tittle of Law would not pass UNTIL heaven and earth passed, He addressed Israel. But in the New Man there is "neither Jew nor Greek" (Gal.3:28, Col.3:11), so for a member of Christ, or, a member of the New Man, Law as his goal is vanished. He is subject to a New Law - the Law of LIFE in Christ Jesus (Rom.8:1-2). That is, Jesus lives in the man and His LIFE, with its power, vitality and commands becomes the standard. Morally, the Christian should be of a higher standard than the Jew. The Law requires men to kill and adulterer. Christ's life and nature requires you to point out the sin but seek recovery. The Law requires a man to love his neighbor as he loves himself. Christ's life requires that a man love his neighbor as Christ loved us. the Law promises wealth and health for keeping the Law. The life of Christ requires that one give his life and wealth for the disadvantaged. the Law requires immediate justice. The Law of life in Christ Jesus, seeking reconciliation, requires DEFERRED justice. the law requires not to mix wool and cotton in your clothing. the Law of Life in Christ requires that yo give no thought to what you wear.

The New Man is required to be "led by the Holy Spirit". The Israelite is required to adhere to the letter of the Law. The Law says "health and wealth for keeping it, so you may drive a Mercedes and wear fine clothes. The Law of Life in Christ Jesus says that He became poor that you might be rich, but that if others are in need, you too must become poor by giving away your wealth. The Law requires you to spend your tithe at Jerusalem. the Law of life in Christ Jesus might ask that you give all in a ghetto.

The flip-side of the matter is that any man who refuses Christ and who was a Jew, MUST remain under Law. He is under CONTRACT with God. But if he embraces Christ and His Works, he may NOT seek the righteousness of Law. If he does, he declares that HIS righteousness is better than that established by Christ - a dangerous matter, for it declares Christ, Whom God has approved, to fall short of YOUR righteousness - a slight that you will not recover from.

I have decided I am a new covenant believer. Eph 2 15 is clear to me. How ever some believe that the Ten must be kept even under the new covenant. I'm interested in the actual verses that make them believe the Ten must be kept thanks.