Ani Tefillah

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  337
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,088
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

During the years with the Lord, I've seen many different Bible translations, both in Norwegian and English, and I have compared them to each other, and first of all to the origin text. 

I have an neat and useful Bible study app, called "My Bible", where I can (from the app/after I have installed it) download many different versions (translations) of the Bible, and many study tools too. Have you heard about this app? 

I've read that many like the KJV (King James Version) translation, but I must admit that there are some words in there that I can not agree with :

*For example the word "church" ; should it not be "congregation or assembly"? 

*And the word "Holy ghost 👻" (yes, the word ghost 👻, makes me think of a ghost 👻). Should it not be "Holy Spirit"? 

For me these two words are important, so I am not satisfied with that part of the KJV. 

Have you found a Bible version which is very similar to the origin text? 

IMG-20220215-WA0000.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,955
  • Content Per Day:  5.49
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

For me translations are a matter of personal preference.  I prefer the KJV because it is more of the word for word type of the translation.  The NJKV is a similar translation with more modern language.   The obscure wording has been removed in places.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  20

As a longtime Bible studier I have used many, many translations.  For my everyday reading I normally use the NKJV or the NIV versions.  But when I am really doing a study of a particular word, verse or topic I will use many translations and then let the Holy Spirit move in the discernment of the scripture.  I love that we have Bible apps now that allow us to compare several versions at one time! If I really get into digging for truth, knowledge, and wisdom I will use the concordances to look up the word or verse in it's original language.  There are so many times that by study and meditation the Holy Spirit reveals to me exactly what my search was about.  I seek and I find just as He promised.  Day after day, year after year, He continues to amaze me with His personal touches on each individual life.  I am ever so thankful and continue to praise and adore Him!! :wub:  

• Praise God! 3

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,955
  • Content Per Day:  5.49
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

For me it depends on the situation.  With children I will use the NKJV or the NIV.  For my private reading I use the KJV.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the 1963 translation of the NASB is the closest word for word translation.   That is what I use to study most of the time.  The 1995 version uses some of the Alexandria manuscripts and takes it out of my personal acceptance.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, other one said:

the 1963 translation of the NASB is the closest word for word translation.   That is what I use to study most of the time.  The 1995 version uses some of the Alexandria manuscripts and takes it out of my personal acceptance.

There's also a 2020 version of the NASB.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  337
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,088
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

8 hours ago, other one said:

NASB, I guess it means New American Standard Bible? 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, MonicaWife said:

NASB, I guess it means New American Standard Bible? 

yes  But only the 1963 version and not the 1995 enhanced version.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

6 hours ago, other one said:

yes  But only the 1963 version and not the 1995 enhanced version.

There 1963 NASB version is a revision of the 1901 ASV.  The Lockman Organization authors of the 1963, 1977, 1995 and 2020 version says this about the 1995 version:

The NASB 1995 is widely embraced and trusted as an English translation that provides superior accuracy while using a classic style of literary English. This updated edition from the NASB 1977 increases clarity and readability as well as updates vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure so that the text is more easily understood. A major change from the NASB 1977 edition is the removal of archaic English, such as “thy” and “thou”, that are no longer used or familiar to many people. The New American Standard Bible 1995 text is widely available today in both print and digital formats. 

Since then, the 2020 version of the NASB is available.  I have all versions including the 1901.  Holding up the 1963 version to a higher standard is just as bad as the hypocrites who hold to the KJV-Only, in my opinion.  I apologize for ruffling anyone's feathers but that's how I feel.

Personally, I feel well equipped reading/studying any version of the NASB.  But I normally read the ESV and once in a while the NIV.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/15/2022 at 2:41 PM, Mama Etna said:

For me translations are a matter of personal preference.  I prefer the KJV because it is more of the word for word type of the translation.  The NJKV is a similar translation with more modern language.   The obscure wording has been removed in places.

I agree.  In church when I read the KJV, I find myself ad libbing the ancient thees and thous into modern language.  I will say "speak" instead of "speakest" for example.  When I read the NKJV, it sounds almost exactly the way I ad libbed the language in the KJV.  LOL The NKJV is the only modern translation I'm comfortable with.  That's because in the KJV each English word is translated from the Hebrew (or Greek) and one can even find the entire passage in Hebrew.  While I can read Hebrew I don't always understand all the words it so I can use a translator to compare.  The NKJV version uses 99.9% of the same wording but otherwise talking normally.  

Other translations I find substitute words, phrases or ideas and this may lead to more bias based on the translators' beliefs. 

• Thumbs Up 1