Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

In my nearly 40 years as a Christian....I have said and  and offered many kind of prayers

Whether it has been writing an epic in  a thousand words of prayer or squeaking out a simple plea for help

But what are we really doing in prayer except acknowledging our need for God?

Matthew 6:

7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 

God knows our hearts, our needs and our wants and He knows what is best for us. We don't have to construct a huge monstrous prayer. But a prayer in which we acknowledge God's presence and care in our lives, casting our cares upon Him....and receiving His peace. Jesus gave us an outline of prayer, a model prayer than shows us how we should approach God

9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
[d]For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Simple yet complete.  Now if you feel the need to fill out that outline with a prosperity of verbosity....go right ahead...but remember God knows what we want and need and what is best for us.

I suggest that prayer is less of us telling God what we want and need and more of receiving peace and assurance that He is with us.

We do want to use prayer to unburden ourselves when we are anxious....but when we have shed that burden, let us not pick it up again

Philippians 4:

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Meditate on These Things

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Give it to God, thank Him for taking care of it, and take the peace and move on.

The bible tells us that:

James 5:16

The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Effective: to pray in the will of God.

Fervent:  to be prayed in faith in full believe that it will be heard- Measured in the strength of the faith not the abundance of words

Righteous : Of course this is for people who bow before the Lord

Some times my most effective and fervent prayer can be captured in one word.  "Help!"

The purpose of prayer is not to tell God what we need, He knows that...it is to connect with God, receive His peace and strength so that we can soldier on

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,129
  • Content Per Day:  9.64
  • Days Won:  149

I have said the "HELP" prayer on numerous occasions. Short, sweet and to the point.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  341
  • Topics Per Day:  0.41
  • Content Count:  2,103
  • Content Per Day:  2.52
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

In my nearly 40 years as a Christian....I have said and  and offered many kind of prayers

Whether it has been writing an epic in  a thousand words of prayer or squeaking out a simple plea for help

But what are we really doing in prayer except acknowledging our need for God?

Matthew 6:

7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 

God knows our hearts, our needs and our wants and He knows what is best for us. We don't have to construct a huge monstrous prayer. But a prayer in which we acknowledge God's presence and care in our lives, casting our cares upon Him....and receiving His peace. Jesus gave us an outline of prayer, a model prayer than shows us how we should approach God

9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
[d]For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Simple yet complete.  Now if you feel the need to fill out that outline with a prosperity of verbosity....go right ahead...but remember God knows what we want and need and what is best for us.

I suggest that prayer is less of us telling God what we want and need and more of receiving peace and assurance that He is with us.

We do want to use prayer to unburden ourselves when we are anxious....but when we have shed that burden, let us not pick it up again

Philippians 4:

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Meditate on These Things

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Give it to God, thank Him for taking care of it, and take the peace and move on.

The bible tells us that:

James 5:16

The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Effective: to pray in the will of God.

Fervent:  to be prayed in faith in full believe that it will be heard- Measured in the strength of the faith not the abundance of words

Righteous : Of course this is for people who bow before the Lord

Some times my most effective and fervent prayer can be captured in one word.  "Help!"

The purpose of prayer is not to tell God what we need, He knows that...it is to connect with God, receive His peace and strength so that we can soldier on

Thank you for the share! 

I big sigh and my tears are prayers too. 

I have a habit to thank Abba Father in advance when I pray, and sometimes I feel like doing it until my faith is built up so I just "know that I know that I know"....that I HAVE GOT what I have been praying for. 😊 If you know what I mean..... 

But I always pray that only His loving will may be done. 

IMG-20210210-WA0000.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

My cat and I don't operate on the same level of abstraction. We can't discuss politics, current events or even the weather. We can, however, spend time together. My cat enjoys rubbing against my ankles, and I enjoy him sleeping on my lap. We have a special relationship.

I imagine God feels much the same about me. What else can I offer the infinite except a portion of my finite being? This we call prayer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,275
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

“Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance,
              but
laying hold of
His willingness.”

Martin Luther

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Prayer is fellowship with the Unseen and Most Holy One.-Andrew Murray

I do believe in the simplicity of prayer. But I also believe that there are times in which we may have to wrestle with God in prayer as Jacob did to get our answer. Jesus also modeled extended times in prayer, at least once lasting all night. 

For me, the time I spend in intercessory prayer is lengthy. I bring people and their needs to the Lord, asking Him to bring physical, spiritual, mental, or emotional healing, whatever the case may be. I ask that He would grant knowledge and wisdom to those who may be deficient in these areas. I pray for our nation and it's leaders, for the state of our spiritual leaders and the state of our churches in America, for the peace of Jerusalem, and so on. In all these areas I endeavor to bring specific needs to the Lord for His intervention. It has truly been a learning process, and I'm still growing in the area of prayer with much more to learn. 

Thanks for your post.

Gary

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

YOUR  WILL  BE  DONE

1 JOHN 5:14  and this is the confidence that we have in  HIM  that --if we ask anything  --according to  HIS  will-- HE  heareth us--

--5:15-- and if we know that  HE  hear us whatsoever we ask ---we know that we have the petitions that we desired of  HIM---

PSALM 66:18  --IF-- I regard iniquity in my heart ---THE  LORD  will not hear me---

DANIEL 9:13  as it is written in the law of moses all this evil is come upon us ---yet we made not our prayer before  THE  LORD  OUR  GOD---  that we might turn from our iniquities and understand thy truth---

LUKE 21:36  watch you therefore ---and pray always  --that you may be accounted worthy-- to escape all these things that shall come to pass--- and to stand before  THE  SON  OF  MAN

2 THESSALONIANS 1:11   ---wherefore also we pray always for you that our  GOD  would  --count you worthy--  of this calling--- and fulfil all the good pleasure of  HIS  goodness ---and the work of faith with power---

*******PROVERBS 28:9  he that turneth away his ear from hearing the law ---even his prayer shall be abomination*******

MARK 8:35  for whosoever will save his life shall lose it ---but whosoever shall lose his life  --for  MY  sake and the gospels--  the same shall save it---

JOHN 5:34  but I receive not testimony from man ---but these things  --I say--  that you might be saved---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST