• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

9 minutes ago, Sower said:

Then there is the one great major difference in what they believe vs scripture.
The RCC teaches/believes in salvation by works!!

I will not argue with this, it is found in their tradition.  But I am not sure how much average Joe Catholic knows about his religion. I grew up catholic and went to catholic school all my life, but found it lacking ...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,392
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

3 minutes ago, Mama Etna said:

The chief heartburn I have with catholicism is that catholics think they have to use middlemen, dead saints and Mary to reach God.  They think they have to go through the Mother Church to reach God.  The truth is that we have a High Priest, the Lord Jesus Christ who justifies us through his own shed blood.  We don't need a pope, dead saints, angels or a mother church to reach God.  Jesus is all we need to be justified before God.  Anything else is an onion in christmas paper.

Ephesians 2:20-22

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Read full chapter
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Much of what happens in the Catholic Church is found nowhere in the bible, same can be said for some protestant churches.

Not so much that its not found in the bible as it is some things going on in churches are directly against what scripture tells us. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Riverwalker said:

I will not argue with this, it is found in their tradition.  But I am not sure how much average Joe Catholic knows about his religion. I grew up catholic and went to catholic school all my life, but found it lacking ...

Myself also, baptized from birth and thirty plus years catholic, altar boy, gazillion Latin responses memorized, serving mass's, requiem masses,  sometimes six days a week, confirmed by Cardinal Spellman, and catholic parochial school from 1st to High school whenever available to military brats. But never heard I must be saved because it is never taught because it goes contrary to catholic dogma. Saying your saved is a mortal sin, the sin of presumption, upon God, that you are 'good enough' to enter into His kingdom.

I love all catholics and most of my uninformed bible illiterate relatives are catholic. They are blinded by the confidence of the authoritative papacy reigning in Rome, their and my parental ancestry dictates belief in RCC tradition.  It's hard to abandon family traditions. And who am I to contradict the years of their catholic ancestry. Most of my relatives think I'm nuts.

Like you said, there is a lack in scriptural bible based teaching, and they use their catechisms instead of the bible, teaching traditions the infallible el popo proclaims. I honestly know any catholics that study the bible or know what you must do to be saved, or even know you need to be saved to avoid hell fire. It's sad. And I have no problem whatsoever exposing the lies of the papacy.
At one time the majority of members in my church were ex catholics....:)

EDIT; forgot, a funny/sad parallel story,

At dinner, the wife always served her roast with the end cut off to cook and I ask her why, and she said that her mother taught her that was the best way, so I ask her mother why she cut the end off the roast and she said that's how great gran marm taught her.

At the reunion I found great gran marm and ask her why her daughter and grand daughter cut the end off the roast as she had taught them.

She said;

Don't know why they cut theirs, but I have always had to cut mine because I have a small pot! default_thumbsup.gif.fbe1774529fac63b821475f71a2952eb.gif

Traditions....

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

Nobody has said anything yet about the WHOLE CATHOLIC Church. Those historic CATHOLICS which call themselves ORTHODOX.

So much bashing on other branches of his body. But then again, thats what we know of protestants sola scriptura isn't it? So many voices arguing about what scripture says. I love Catholics, as they are Christian just like you are. Be careful, lest you hypocritically judge.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,235
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

:)  Praise God for where Christ is being preached. There are countless that believe Christ came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin. Was buried rose the 3rd day and is at the right hand of the Father and the only way to the Father. And also believe Mary is no god nor another way to Christ or God. 

Oh yes amen as sis said.. its the heart He sees. 

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Anne2 said:

Nobody has said anything yet about the WHOLE CATHOLIC Church. Those historic CATHOLICS which call themselves ORTHODOX.

So much bashing on other branches of his body. But then again, thats what we know of protestants sola scriptura isn't it? So many voices arguing about what scripture says. I love Catholics, as they are Christian just like you are. Be careful, lest you hypocritically judge.

Catholics, Baptist, Charismatics or Jew or the non denominational etc., are lost if they have not trusted in Jesus Christ, by faith through Grace, and not by works!

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:
it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Roman Road to Salvation...
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is
     eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

"for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Not being baptized. Not confessing sin to a man. Not praying to Mary or statues.
Not born into a Baptist or Methodist or religious family. Nor any of man's traditions. It's Jesus Christ and Him Crucified. Amazing Grace!
Not the filthy works of man..

I love all catholics, as I have said before. Even the pope, as God commands me.
But I believe the catholic hierarchy is preaching false doctrine to its flock, and I will continue to tell any catholic the truth, regardless of the repercussions.

I thank God for that faithful old man that shared the gospel truth to me some forty plus years ago, and hope to meet/thank Him some day in Glory.
He didn't concern himself about hurting my feelings.  He was more concerned about my soul.             And I praise God for that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,326
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

5 hours ago, Sower said:

Then there is the one great major difference in what they believe vs scripture.
The RCC teaches/believes in salvation by works!!

The 'holy mother church' teaches, believes, nobody can be saved, as that is the sin of presumption.
Who are we that presume upon God that they could possibly merit/deserve salvation. (nobody, except Mary)
They teach/believe that if they die without a mortal sin (decided by el popo) or,  have a priest give the sacrament of  Extreme Unction, (last rights) immediately after death, then they go to purgatory to suffer/burn for all their sins till paid for. If you have a rich relative, they can give money to the church to pray for indulgences to get you out of jail and the torcher sooner, as the hired priest is able to say  Gregorian Masses.  

"In Roman Catholicism, the practice of Gregorian Masses is an ancient tradition in which it is believed that a continuous series of thirty consecutive Masses said in thirty days for the soul of a deceased person will release them from the punishments of Purgatory. Belief in the efficacy of the Gregorian Masses is based on a private revelation made to Pope Saint Gregory the Great"

The Church has declared that the confidence of the faithful in the special efficacy of the Gregorian Masses is pious and reasonable. Its specific regulations are found in the Sacred Congregation for Indulgences of August 24, 1888. [1] As 30 consecutive Masses are required, the Gregorian Masses are often incompatible with the Mass schedules of Catholic parishes. As such, Gregorian Masses are usually done in monasteries and seminaries, or by retired priests.  The Masses can only be said for a single person at a time who is in purgatory, although it can be said by different priests and on different altars. If the soul of the intended person is already in Heaven, or if it is in Hell, the indulgences will help a different needy soul.  :unsure:   The Masses must be said consecutively one day after another without any interruption. If the Masses are interrupted even for one day, the process is null and must start over again.  face.jpg.7b40496db6bb20658106af807226c915.jpg   The only exception is if the last few days of Holy Week occur during the Gregorian Masses; in this case, the Masses may be stopped until Easter Sunday and then continued on that day." 

(The RCC teaches/believes in salvation by works!! )

"The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification (JDDJ) is a document created and agreed to by the Catholic Church's Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity (PCPCU) and the Lutheran World Federation in 1999 as a result of extensive ecumenical dialogue. It states that the churches now share "a common understanding of our justification by God's grace through faith in Christ."[1] To the parties involved, this essentially resolves the 500-year-old conflict over the nature of justification which was at the root of the Protestant Reformation"

This statement by the council was to satisfy the bible toting Protestants who believe in Grace salvation, in order to facilitate their agenda in the ecumenical  movement, ecumenism and future one world church, el popo the head.

The trouble is they preach you must maintain (works) for your salvation. You can still go to purgatory or hell if you commit enough certain sins and don't get to confess to a priest before death!!!.

The sacrifice of Jesus Christ suffering on the cross and dying wasn't sufficient for man, so man has to work his merit.

Anybody can look this all up looking into Roman Catholic Dogma.

And a whole host of other scriptural contradictions. Catholics are not taught to study the bible.
They believe the holy mother church has all the authority, and El Popo is God on earth.
One day he's going to meet God.           Our God is a jealous God!

Thanks for sharing that with us, brother. I have a form of shorthand to sum up the totality of RCC traditions:

Ominous Dominus. 

Ominous = bad

Dominus = Latin term meaning "ruler"

Fits! :thumbsup:

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,326
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

I was blessed to have been spared from the ominous dominus of the Roman Catholic Church.

My late mother's side of the family, having emigrated from Quebec, are Roman Catholic. My late father's family are evangelical Christians from the South. Neither parent were active, but this didn't stop my mother from behaving like she was a good Roman Catholic.

When my eldest siblings were born, my mother had her way: it was the ominous dominus for those two children. They did the whole RCC shindig for years. You know, some guy wearing a fancy dress sprinkled them with tap water whilst numbling words in a defunct language. Confirmation and all that.

Starting when I was born, my father said "no." Too bad, no ominous dominus for my son. He did the same when my youngest sister was born. Cheers for dad!

My youngest sister and I were therefore "heathens" to our mother, elder siblings, and her clan. Were we insulted by this? Were our feelings hurt at any time?

Never. We laughed about it frequently. :D

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1