IGNORED

I am not understanding free will, I think!

angeleyesGBU

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,076
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, Marathoner said:

If we understand that everything that was, is, and shall be, was known to the Almighty before He created all things, then we understand His foreknowledge.

Yes, and since His Foreknowledge doesn't stand alone from His determining of the factors that cause the things He Foreknows, we can rely on the following: 

(Rev 1:8)  "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
(Rev 1:11)  saying, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last," and, "What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."
(Rev 21:6)  And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.
(Rev 22:13)  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."

God has determined that the people He has created have the capacity to make certain choices.

He also intervenes to direct the course of events if He deems it necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  11

for God SO loved the world …

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

- John 3:16 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, angeleyesGBU said:

I was just reading a daily reading in the Bible 365 Club here, and something in the book of John, caught me by surprise. I made a comment there, but I can see that there is not a lot of participation there, so I copied what I said there, for you consideration and thoughts here, as follows.

“This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

Interesting, I was just discussing with someone about this with someone yesterday, or at least something related to this. We were talking about what free will means. I know that I have free will, at least I was thinking I have free will. Just reading the verses above makes me realize that I don't know as much as I thought I did.

That verse hit me like a ton of bricks! How have I failed to notice it before? Apparently I admit I have some confusion now, I need to study more. As a church affiliated teacher at a Christian high school who teaches Bible for a living, I need to be better informed!

What I am thinking, is that God invites everyone to come to Jesus. I am certain I can make that case from the Bible. In that verse, I am tempted to think that is as much as God has made that invitation,  that permission is implied. It that is the situation, well, I am missing something.

If I cannot come to Jesus unless it is granted me by the Father, doesn't that say or seem to say that the Father makes the decision, and I cannot come unless He says yes, and therefore it would seem, sometimes He says no or perhaps, I cannot even try to come unless He does something? Maybe my free will is not quite as simple as I think!

I believe that life has already been predetermined.  There wouldn’t be anything to prophesy about if it were not already written.  It’s like trying to predict the end of a book that has no official ending.   That wouldn’t be possible.  In order for the gift of prophecy to exist, life would have to already be predetermined, or there wouldn’t be anything to prophesy about.  The Bible does mention the words like chosen, so it does seem everyone is preselected.

Colossians 3:12

Therefore as God’s “chosen”people holy, and dearly loved clothe yourselves with kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Rev 7:2

Also the one-hundred, and forty-four thousand are sealed according to the Bible, so there is nothing that can be done that will change who they are.

He also mentions words like elect:

Matthew 24:22 New International Version (NIV) 22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the “elect” those days will be shortened. New International Version (NIV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, angeleyesGBU said:

I was just reading a daily reading in the Bible 365 Club here, and something in the book of John, caught me by surprise. I made a comment there, but I can see that there is not a lot of participation there, so I copied what I said there, for you consideration and thoughts here, as follows.

“This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

Interesting, I was just discussing with someone about this with someone yesterday, or at least something related to this. We were talking about what free will means. I know that I have free will, at least I was thinking I have free will. Just reading the verses above makes me realize that I don't know as much as I thought I did.

That verse hit me like a ton of bricks! How have I failed to notice it before? Apparently I admit I have some confusion now, I need to study more. As a church affiliated teacher at a Christian high school who teaches Bible for a living, I need to be better informed!

What I am thinking, is that God invites everyone to come to Jesus. I am certain I can make that case from the Bible. In that verse, I am tempted to think that is as much as God has made that invitation,  that permission is implied. It that is the situation, well, I am missing something.

If I cannot come to Jesus unless it is granted me by the Father, doesn't that say or seem to say that the Father makes the decision, and I cannot come unless He says yes, and therefore it would seem, sometimes He says no or perhaps, I cannot even try to come unless He does something? Maybe my free will is not quite as simple as I think!

There are more beings than only human beings.

Only human beings have a kinsman redeemer who paid the price for human sin with his own blood.

Then the Father bade the entire human race "whosoever will":

John 3:16–18 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Every other speculative conjecture and theory must be filtered through this fact.