Reasons For Divorce

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have been reading Matthew 5:31-32 and Jesus permits divorce only from sexual immorality.

In 1 Corinthians 7:15 Paul adds to this by saying that abandonment is another reason, I.e if married to an unbeliever that walks out, then you are no longer bound.

I have some questions:

Would you agree that this is the only two reasons for divorce in scripture, adultery and abandonment?

If so, why didn’t Jesus also say abandonment?

What if a women thinks she is marrying a believer, realises later that he isn’t, but he neither commits adultery nor abandons her, but, shows no love and affection and generally is not a good husband. 1 Corinthians 7:13 says a woman shouldn’t divorce an unbeliever. Is she not then trapped?

Thanks

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

why didn’t Jesus also say abandonment?

1) Not everything that Jesus said is recorded in the gospels. (see Acts 20:35 for an example)

2) The apostles, in dealing with issues that arose in the early church, had authority in the Holy Spirit to give additional instruction. (Matthew 18:18)

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

1 Corinthians 7:13 says a woman shouldn’t divorce an unbeliever. Is she not then trapped?

Paul is saying that unbelief on its own is not grounds for divorce.

There is always the option of separation if the relationship breaks down. (I Corinthians 7:10,11)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

I have been reading Matthew 5:31-32 and Jesus permits divorce only from sexual immorality.

In 1 Corinthians 7:15 Paul adds to this by saying that abandonment is another reason, I.e if married to an unbeliever that walks out, then you are no longer bound.

I have some questions:

Would you agree that this is the only two reasons for divorce in scripture, adultery and abandonment?

What if a women thinks she is marrying a believer, realises later that he isn’t, but he neither commits adultery nor abandons her, but, shows no love and affection and generally is not a good husband. 1 Corinthians 7:13 says a woman shouldn’t divorce an unbeliever. Is she not then trapped?

Thanks

Some would say remain unmarried until the abandoner enters into a new relationship (sexual immorality), waiting for and praying for the wayward spouse.

Some say to separate from a physically abusive spouse, which may not include a divorce.

What do you think the Bible says about winning over an unsaved, difficult spouse?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @Open7

I think the situation is a little more involved than "No divorce except if there has been adultery". If you have time, please allow me to share my view with you.

There was a major political scandal that was happening in Israel at the time the Messiah was here.  Front page scandal stuff, and everyone knew about it!  Herod had recently taken his brother's wife, who was not divorced from him, and was parading around with her publicly.  This was a disgrace in Israel and John the Baptist was locked up because of speaking against the relationship openly. 

Therefore, it's likely some unsavoury characters were trying to catch out the Messiah in His words and get Him arrested just like John.

The process of divorce in the Hebraic culture is slightly different from ours in the West today.  In essence, in order to divorce you would send your wife away AND give her a letter of divorce.  Keep in mind, this was two separate events.  But both events, in English translations, are often called "divorce" - further muddying our understanding.

Now, only after the wife got the letter of Divorce, would she then be able to marry another.   However, it seems that many men were just sending their wives away only (sometimes for very minor issues) and taking another woman!  Presumably they avoided the letter of Divorce stage of the process because of the financial implications and societal impressions.  Regardless, this would be legally cheating on their first woman (who was still technically their wife).  Then, if any other man married this rejected first woman they would actually be marrying another man's wife!  And so we have adultery for all parties.

It's these concepts that the Messiah seems to be referring to in Matthew...

Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces[sends his wife away] his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce[divorce].’ But I say to you that whoever divorces[sends his wife away] his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced[sent away] commits adultery."

The black text is my insertions highlighting the difference in the Greek from the words for "send away" and "divorce".  (To give you an example, the same Greek word for "send away" is used when Pilate releases Barabbas at Passover.)

Remember, there are two stages.  Firstly, sent away and secondly, given a bill of divorce.  So then, indeed sending away your wife ONLY and marrying another is indeed adultery.  And, any other man marrying your sent away wife is indeed committing adultery with her - the divorce is not final.

This comes out in the Greek but not the English and so the words of the Messiah take a different light with both this political, cultural and linguistic background.

I hope that helps you in some way.

Peace.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Open7 said:

I have some questions:

Thanks

The Bible states that there is a biblical divorce for infidelity and if a unbeliever leaves. Of course if a person is being badly abused physically or mentally there is a reason to leave. Either a legal separation or divorce. God would understand. He does not want His children to be abused. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Thanks so much everyone this is really helpful😊