• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,305
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

what kind of advise would you give a new believer? i would tell them to not just take a christians word just because they are an older christian, look at what the bible says, pray for guidence and then decide what to follow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

44 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

what kind of advise would you give a new believer? i would tell them to not just take a christians word just because they are an older christian, look at what the bible says, pray for guidence and then decide what to follow.

1. Read the Bible and get to know God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Start off with the book of John.

2. Pray to God and ask Him to mold you into what He wants you to be. 

3. Go to a Church that is led by Jesus Christ. A Church that has good biblical teaching and takes the Bible literally. A Church that honors the Bible and the essential beliefs of Christianity. 

4. Know that everything will not be perfect because you have asked Jesus Christ into your life. In fact it may be worse because Satan is not happy with losing a foll0wer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.85
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

I engage with many others on various social media sites and forums.  When anyone asks a question about anything under the sun, I try to answer them with a verse straight from an online Bible.  In case you're not familiar with this site you can input a word and then it will reveal various verses in the Bible that use that word or, perhaps, something close to it in definition.    https://www.openbible.info/topics/

I hope this help.  :)  Good luck!  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.85

I do like to share this verse with those searching for truth after telling them, if they earnestly seek God, he will reveal himself to them.  

Matthew 7:7 ESV 

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

57 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

First, I think it is important for them to understand it is a relational lifestyle and it is something they should strive to grow in the rest of their lives, so don't rush into it needing to know all the answers, it will come in time.  They will find their instructions through scripture study, prayer and by allowing God to work in their lives, changing them into the likeness of Jesus.  I would suggest they find other Christians to associate with and learn from where accountability plays a key role as we don't always make the right choices.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

2 Peter 1:20–21 (NASB95)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

The Holy Spirit is the source of scripture and its interpretation period.

All scripture is prophetic. Not just the predictive prophecies (as some interpret "prophecy" to mean). 

2 Peter 1:20–21 (NASB95)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

The Holy Spirit is the source of scripture and its interpretation period.

All scripture is prophetic. Not just the predictive prophecies (as some interpret "prophecy" to mean).

John 16:13 (NASB95)
13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

The traditions of man divide the Church into denominations, factions, split congregations, and lead people down unbiblical paths. Note what Jesus said about them:

Mark 7:13 (NASB95)
13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Other translations of this text say that the traditions of man nullify the word of God.

Also:

Mark 7:7 (NASB95)
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’

The traditions of men:

• mislead people
  • nullify the word of God (the Bible)
  • make even the worship of Jesus in vain (null and void)

Go to the Source (the Holy Spirit) who wrote the Bible through the writing prophets:

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (NASB95)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

To be certain we are receiving the interpretation of the one who inspired the scriptures, we are to test the spirits:

1 John 4:1 (NASB95)
1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

And you can only do so by the word of God itself:

Acts 17:11 (NASB95)
11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so..

Apparently the Apostle Paul taught what he wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5:21 everywhere he preached along with how to prove all things (by the scriptures) which the Bereans (in this case) took to heart moreso than the Thessalonians.

There is an underlying truth beneath the surface of scripture (Proverbs 25:2 / Deuteronomy 29:29) than most people are unaware of. Not because God is hiding it from them to keep them uninformed, but because they search for the truth in the wrong way. God must tell his own story without human or demonic influence, interpretation, or just plain interference. Those who seek God will find him. But on his own terms. 

Isaiah 28:9–13 (NASB95)
9 “To whom would He teach knowledge, And to whom would He interpret the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just taken from the breast?
10 “For He says, ‘Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there.’ ”
11 Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue,
12 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.
13 So the word of the Lord to them will be, “Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,” That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.

When you allow God to teach and tell his own story... you will be amazed by what he teaches and shows you!

As you grow in Christ, you will learn your place in his Kingdom as one of the priests of God (Revelation 1:6 / Revelation 5:10 / 1 Peter 2:3-9)... as an adopted son or daughter of the Father of Jesus (Romans 8:15). And you will learn what God asks of you in his Kingdom. Some are called (and equipped) to evangelize. Others to pray. Still others to serve fellow believers. Others to teach and to lend a hand. Etc. These are all ministries in the Kingdom. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

I think to properly put the bible and religion into perspective.

Requires a decent knowledge of history.

It all depends on how curious they are and how much they want to know.

Most seem satisfied knowing nothing and its ok if they prefer it that way.

Knowing basic science and history isn't necessarily for everyone.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

3 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

what kind of advise would you give a new believer? i would tell them to not just take a christians word just because they are an older christian, look at what the bible says, pray for guidance and then decide what to follow.

Find a good church that preaches Jesus Christ and Him crucified and get into weekly discipleship class.
He will make friends and have more chance to get more involved with activities within the body.
Get the fundamentals, and look for a mentor. Give him/her your ph# when help/advice is needed.
Help him locate a good bible believing church. Remember (S)he is a babe needing milk.
Explain the importance of the body of Christ assembling together to help-support, and encourage one another.
Explain the Lord's supper and it's importance, and requirements.

I have always suggested to find a small baptist church as they preach the word from scripture.
At our church I know the bible class teachers, many that have taught myself and children. I trust them.
I would suggest as he grows he then can find the church that he feels led to join.

Stay in the word!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

3 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

look at what the bible says, pray for guidence

We do not need man to teach us. We have the Holy Spirit to Guide us and teach us. 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

4. Know that everything will not be perfect because you have asked Jesus Christ into your life. In fact it may be worse because Satan is not happy with losing a foll0wer. 

Satan is not really an issue because of the Blood of Jesus. All of creation is being redeemed so we are a part of that. There is a lot more involved in this than just ourselves.