IGNORED

Does anybody attend a Messianic Jew synogogue?

Workman

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, Walter Goraj jr said:

Please explain to me in scripture the relevance or importance of continuing in the traditions of the Jewish religion when one becomes a " new creature in Christ". 

Col.2:20-22:  Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Galatians 4:9-11 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

The Messianic fellowships I attend do not follows Jewish traditions at least not any I have attended.  We follow biblically doctrines found in scriptures and taught by  Y'shua himself.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

9 hours ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Well you see that's the problem. Doesn't matter where we came from we all have the same status in Christ. I think a lot of people are under the impression that God has a little more favor with a  "Messianic Jew" than the regular old Christians. This is division and it does bother me ( if you haven't already figured that out). 

Of all the ones I have attended, I have encountered only 1 person out of hundreds who felt that way. No one else felt they were superior. 

I noticed you did not answer a question someone else posted. Do you think ethnic churches are wrong? Where I used to live was a korean baptist church. It had a lot of korean ethnic aspects to it that did not violate scripture. Would you consider that divisive? If not, then why would a Messianic church be considered divisive?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

4 minutes ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Because the term "Messianic Jew" gives a sour impression that there is something "a little more special" about being a converted Jew. Koreans, polish people, Italians, etc. Don't have that approach. They're just common Gentiles.

Perhaps it is the person who obtains that "sour impression" that feels they are "a little more special" by their disdain for Messianic Jewish believers?  It's not common for me to come across someone who does not like believers who are of the Jewish descent.  Why do you feel that way?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, Slibhin said:

If your mother is Jewish then you are legally Jewish also. However if you convert then you are an apostate. It means you don't get a Jewish funeral or get to take part in the Jewish community. Either if you are Jewish by birth or convert and then leave you are always legally a Jew even if an apostate.

Most "Messianic Jews" were never actually Jewish and converted from outside the Jewish community.

Back peddling.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Someone born of Jewish parents is Jewish period.

If they believe in Jesus this does not negate their being born Jewish

nor the fact that they are Jewish.

Some identify with Christianity.

Others identify with Messianic Judaism.

They are still Jewish.

1 hour ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Well then why isn't it just called a Christian church?

Why are some called assembly  of God, others called baptist churches, others called community bible churches etc? Why do you obsess about this one?

1 hour ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Because the term "Messianic Jew" gives a sour impression that there is something "a little more special" about being a converted Jew. Koreans, polish people, Italians, etc. Don't have that approach. They're just common Gentiles.

Many if not most of the people in the Messianic congregations I have gone to are gentiles. You are not obligated to go to any specific church, just as long as it is sound and you are worshipping. So why are you so bent out of shape because some prefer to attend a Messianic congregation?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

5 hours ago, Slibhin said:

If your mother is Jewish then you are legally Jewish also. However if you convert then you are an apostate. It means you don't get a Jewish funeral or get to take part in the Jewish community. Either if you are Jewish by birth or convert and then leave you are always legally a Jew even if an apostate.

Most "Messianic Jews" were never actually Jewish and converted from outside the Jewish community.

I've only known one Messianic Jew, although I only met him a couple of times (many years ago, in Edinburgh), and he was definitely Jewish (his Jewish family disowned him, when he believed in the Messiah).

Perhaps you could also look up Jonathan Cahn (a Messianic Jewish Rabbi).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsoQpzk-XQOt4YM6nzq_-Q

This is not a link to a video, but to Cahn's youtube channel.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,204
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

The problem I have is more about the dispensational views that paints an un-Biblical future for the nation of Israel. Sadly, however, most churches partake in the same theology. And like I've said many times in the past, we are all one in Christ, and to call yourself Jewish and saved makes it seem like there's something more special going on. Just my observation. 

I agree, Walter. We see this from time to time when a Jewish rabbi is consulted (or bandied about as the case may be) by some Christians regarding the meaning of Old Testament scripture, when this rabbi is an unbeliever and therefore lost in darkness with the world of men.

We might as well consult an atheist historian about the letters of the apostles. :noidea:

You hit the nail on the head with regards to the source of this fawning over all things Jewish by some Christians: dispensationalism. I find it distressing, for this is a one-way adoration (it is not reciprocated). It pops up on the forum now and then. 

I usually remain silent, but this time it's worth speaking up. It can be difficult to discern tone in forum posts, which is why I've been keeping track of your comments recently. I understand where you're coming from, I think.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

I agree, Walter. We see this from time to time when a Jewish rabbi is consulted (or bandied about as the case may be) by some Christians regarding the meaning of Old Testament scripture, when this rabbi is an unbeliever and therefore lost in darkness with the world of men.

We might as well consult an atheist historian about the letters of the apostles. 

I think a few people here are confusing the original discussion about Messianic Jews.  There's "ethnic" Jews, and then there's "Judaism".  If you go to a Messianic Rabbi and ask him about something in the Old Testament, he will consult the same Bible that Gentiles use.  I would have no qualms about asking the Rabbi at the Synagogue I visited about meaning of scripture in the Old Testament because he is a Christian, but Jewish by ethnicity.  I also have no qualms about blending in some Jewish non-theistic customs, clothing, dancing, and singing, or using a Bible that includes the New Testament, but it's in the Hebrew language.  That's no different than any other ethnic church.

Edited by Workman
  • Thumbs Up 1