Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.74
  • Days Won:  1

I hear that all the time.  I have no idea if that statement is accurate but, either way, it's irrelevant to me.  Crediting the RCC for "creating" the Bible is like crediting Moses for writing Exodus.  Neither would have happened without the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  The Bible exists because God willed it to exist and NOT because of any person(s) and the glory and credit for the Bible belongs only to God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,132
  • Content Per Day:  3.29
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

13 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

I hear that all the time.  I have no idea if that statement is accurate but, either way, it's irrelevant to me.  Crediting the RCC for "creating" the Bible is like crediting Moses for writing Exodus.  Neither would have happened without the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  The Bible exists because God willed it to exist and NOT because of any person(s) and the glory and credit for the Bible belongs only to God.

I knew I had seen a similar thread recently, @Not of the World

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Short answer: They didn't, but it's complicated.

The writings contained in the Bible predate the Catholic church. They claim Peter as the first Pope as well as a "lineage" of other Popes who followed him, but it's a dubious claim. It probably wasn't until the time of the emperor Constantine that the RCC really took shape into what it is now. That was where it started to become the official religion of the Roman empire and they held official councils like the Council of Nicaea. They started hammering out different points of doctrine, and eventually after a few councils they hammered out which books were considered canon based on things like the compiled OT scriptures of the Jews, the Gospels, and so on. To say they created it would be a stretch. To say they compiled it would be more accurate, but even then the Jews had a compiled OT long before this. With that out of the way the different primary branches of Christianity like Protestants, the RCC, Eastern Orthodox, and so on have slightly different Bibles. Protestant Bibles typically don't include the Maccabees, for example. There are other inclusions/exclusions but overall it constitutes only a small number of books.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.74
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

I knew I had seen a similar thread recently, @Not of the World

I have the memory of a gnat.  :noidea: :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,132
  • Content Per Day:  3.29
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Just now, Not of the World said:

I have the memory of a gnat.  :noidea: :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

Yes, me  too sometimes. I forget what stories I've told my workers, so I preface things with "Did I tell you about . . .?"

• Haha 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Short version, the Bible was inspired by God, not the church in general not any denomination. Roman Catholicism did not even exist at the time of the Bible's completion, so I am going to have to say it did not create the Bible. Now, if you mean the decision as to which writings were to be accepted as part of the Bible (canonization), that was probably not until the 5th century before there was any real consensus on that. The Catholic church canonized it's bible in 393, and did some revisions and later dates, but no denomination created the Bible.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

It is so very important to remember that          -    The earliest  Hebrew Old Testament Manuscripts that exist,  do not date back beyond / before    900  - 1000  AD,    all Hebrew manuscripts  before this date are lost, destroyed and or non - existent  today

The  very earliest  “    Old Testament Translation   “    was called the   "  Vetus  Italia   or   the Vetus  Latin  Translation,   -  this was  a  Latin Translation of the Bible,  believed to have produced around  150  -  200  AD.   

The Catholic Church had absolutely nothing to do with translating or maintaining,  upholding,  preserving or safe – keeping or circulating this  Vetus  Latin Translation,  nor preserving and disseminating  nor  circulating any previous Bible translation anywhere before the Latin Vulgate, nearly  500  years after Jesus, the Anointing.

The Catholic Church in  382  commissioned, certified or gave a  permit /  licensed a  Christian priest confessor a theologian historian, named  “  Jerome,  to translate the  Old Testament  into Latin,   the reasoning that many Catholics have claimed for this needed translation and its necessity  -  was that the current early existing  “  Vetus  Italia  “  Latin   translation from 150 AD………       …….

this previous translation had become so  CORRUPTED, outdated, ancient and unusable    -   that Jerome was to create a new translation in order to THROW OUT THE INACCURACIES and ERRORS of this previous Latin    "  Vetus  Italia “  

a translation of the Bible that Catholics seem to claim had became corrupt or doubtful.
https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15515b.htm      &   https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/jerome-completes-vulgate

Regardless   -     Jerome’s goal -  was not to revise and update an older language for the existing  Latin Bible and bring to date and modernize a language structure of the existing Latin Bible  -   but rather Jerome spent   40  years working, laboring, struggling and toiling  -      to translate directly from  Hebrew manuscripts  of the Old Testament  -    directly from the original ancient Hebrew manuscripts and then translate over into Latin. 

This also means that   IF    the Catholic Church had a copy of the previous Latin Translation in the Vatican,   -    IF    the Catholic Church had any importance for possessing this previous Latin Translation,  this  Translation was not maintained and updated for the changing of the modernizing Latin Languages and   up – to date -  Latin society.   For  nearly  500  years,

the  Vatican had no concern to even translate the Bible into another language   -   nor  -   even preserve and maintain and  update  the only  Translation of the Bible that existed in Latin….    It was so outdated or  corrupted   un – usable and unreliable,  untrustworthy, defective,  that Jerome could not even use this previous Latin translation to produce the Latin Vulgate   -  Jerome’s  only  option  was to  spent   40  years working, laboring, struggling and toiling  -      to translate directly from  Hebrew manuscripts  of the Old Testament.

DO  CHRISTIANS  TRULLY  REALIZE      _      what this truly means  ?

Why   -      It is so very important to remember that          -   earliest  Hebrew Old Testament Manuscripts existing,  do not date back beyond / before    900  - 1000  AD,    -  there is no  EVIDENCE  anywhere  !           -   -  “    at all      !   !     “    pertaining to all Hebrew Bible manuscripts,  before this date, they  are lost, destroyed and or non - existent  today  -   The Authority   =  Roman Catholic Church Authority   -   did not even consider the manuscripts and methods  that Jerome had used as important to circulate  and vindicate to the public,   meaning  =  his notes,  translating explanations,  translating observations, translation clarifications, notes, notes   and    these  important  Hebrew texts are not important  for    ROMEs    preservation,  maintaining,  upholding  or safe –   keeping ……….the  updating of the Bible.

This is something that we must consider when realizing the fact  that   -      Remembering  that   -   the complete New Testament,  in fact was not translated into    ANY    other language,     at all,   whatsoever by anyone,  anywhere,  until around the 1400s   -  this is nearly   2000   years  after the  N.T   was written ,   until    /   before  a complete translation into any another language was made of the New Testament.

We do not find factual evidence that the  Catholic Church  created the New Testament,   but  -    the reasoning that the Roman Catholic will present is to say that    "   the actual  authors  themselves,  Peter, Matthew, James, Paul and all  NT  authors  themselves  were strictly   " Roman Catholic " .   .   .  

therefore,    this is how  Catholics  will proclaim the idea that their organization or church had written /  created the New Testament.

Furthermore, the idea of translating the Bible into a modern language for  current living  believers throughout history had never been an important concept for the Roman Catholic Church, in fact this idea to  prevent and prohibit the translation of the bible was something that  Rome  had  enforced by law with strict punishment.

And lastly  important  - the  KJV  translators  had  not  broken  away  from  the  Church  of  Rome  no  less that  a  single  generation  - to  the   time  that  also  -  the  KJV  was  establishaar   permit  ,  Gov. _   Bible  Permit.   A  bible permit.

Edited by phreSXicthaxlor

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

an  97.2  %    exact  duplicate  copy  of the  Catholic  Douay Rheims  of  1582

word  for  word  exacly...........    down to the very last dot.      is this  your  protest  and   war  against   faith   ?

Edited by phreSXicthaxlor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,391
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

25 minutes ago, phreSXicthaxlor said:

is this  your  protest  and   war  against   faith   ?

Keep your discussions on the subject matter and not on the people you are discussion with.