• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/us/north-carolina-crypto-mine-noise-weir-wxc/index.html

The noise, the electricity blackouts, could be coming to a quiet community like yours!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We used to live out in the country about three miles from the Interstate north of Oklahoma City.   We could plainly hear semi trucks on the interstate day and night from three miles away.   Made us really appreciate the tree frogs that come out at sunset.

Croaked me to sleep nights except for winter.

I can sympathize with them if they are used to real quite mountain life and have that move close by.   There is always noise canceling earbuds....   makes it hard for your wife to get your attention though.

Personally I can't sleep in total quiet.   It's unnerving to me.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Listening to the video and the complaints, I wonder, has anyone ever suggested that they build these mines underground where it is much cooler, not an eyesore, and will permit wildlife to continue to populate the area?  They could also shield it against an EMP.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

i think the wildlife will eventually get accustom to the noise and go back home so to speak.

As for the people...   it's not likely.     I grew up about a half mile from a very large cement plant that constantly made all kinds of noises.   Ten gauge shotguns that went off in the middle of the night to break the cement away from the sides of the Kilns.   The noise from steel balls hitting these 25 foot diameter and 200+ foot long tubes lined with fire bricks was unnerving when we first moved there (5 years old).    I think that getting accustom to the noise for 20 years is why I have so much trouble sleeping in total quietness.  i find it unnerving. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, other one said:

i think the wildlife will eventually get accustom to the noise and go back home so to speak.

As for the people...   it's not likely.     I grew up about a half mile from a very large cement plant that constantly made all kinds of noises.   Ten gauge shotguns that went off in the middle of the night to break the cement away from the sides of the Kilns.   The noise from steel balls hitting these 25 foot diameter and 200+ foot long tubes lined with fire bricks was unnerving when we first moved there (5 years old).    I think that getting accustom to the noise for 20 years is why I have so much trouble sleeping in total quietness.  i find it unnerving. 

Depends on the wildlife. Up here, caribou and other ungulates are very much driven off by noise.

I grew up relatively close to an airport so aircraft noise was super common. When I would visit my sister in a smaller town, it was amazing how quiet it was. I did not find it unnerving, but it was different.

Edited by teddyv
typo due to autocorrect
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Uninvited noise is generally distressing. If it is invited well that is a party of sorts.

When in the mountains I am 25 miles from town, with no traffic  to speak of, no nothing  really- well except there are 6 count 'em 6 ten yard dumpsters for community trash down the road just a bit. What time do they empty them with six booms of trash crashing into the rubbish trucks?  3:00 AM daily, yep daily.

I don't know how the deer and the bear can generate so much trash.

When I return to civilization  I am walking distance to the fire station and the police station. I can hit them with a thrown rock should I desire to do so.  Do they test their sirens at each shift change? Yes they do. Am I near the ambulance company  parking facility and between two major hospitals as well? Yes I am.

When I bought there it was in the woods too, far away from anything but one forest ranger observation tower.

I now have my bedroom windows covered inside with plywood under the draperies which makes it quite peaceful. Maybe peace and quiet got sick up  with the advent of electric power and now has died. Where is off the grid anymore? Certainly not where the billionaires set up Crypto mining operations.