IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,640
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Diaste FYI..........any wisdom for this topic?

I don't know if I have any wisdom or not but my thoughts are...

Love God with everything we are. That's a good obsession. I have obsessed over His return for many decades.

However, Paul says, and I paraphrase, "Be in control, moderate in all things."

In my mind it's not so much the act but how much control we give to the act in our life. 

As far as tattoos go, I abhor them. People can do as they wish. I feel the canvas is a perfect work and cannot be ungraded  in any way. In my opinion ink degrades the art work.

My 2 cents...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,575
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

On 2/23/2023 at 6:15 PM, Tristen said:

I personally don't have, or like, tattoos. But I have noticed that people with tattoos often have other random people approach them to ask about their tats. In the context of a faith-based tattoo, that can lead to a non-Christian opening the door to a discussion about the Gospel. I can therefore see some merit in that motive.

@Tristen PS: If you had an adult daughter or son who you knew was intending to do exactly what you described — i.e., get a faith based tattoo as a conversation-starting witness tool — would you still think it possibly a meritorious thing? or in practice would you have some misgivings?

(I think a lot of Christian parents are more or less in this situation.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Tristen PS: If you had an adult daughter or son who you knew was intending to do exactly what you described — i.e., get a faith based tattoo as a conversation-starting witness tool — would you still think it possibly a meritorious thing? or in practice would you have some misgivings?

(I think a lot of Christian parents are more or less in this situation.)

My stated position is applicable to every "adult" - regardless of how they are related to me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tristen said:

My stated position is applicable to every "adult" - regardless of how they are related to me.

@Tristen Thanks. Your comment is definitely a logical, firm and thoughtful one (as are many of your posts, if I may say so).

Sometimes Christian parents can tend to engage in reactive moralizing against their young people turning the big 18. Including when it comes to tattoos in young adulthood - even faith based tattoos likely to be frequently used in testimony conversations.

But what this might mean really is that the parent is having difficulty in internalizing that their daughter or son really has grown up rather quickly - as young ppl do. The inkless Christian girl or inkless Christian boy has suddenly become a tattooed Christian woman or tattooed Christian man.

In my humble opinion this is self-evident. Even if some parents struggle with it.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, BibleStudent100 said:

Regarding addictions Farouk, it seems that doing anything in excess is wrong.  For example, we all know dedicated, hard-working ministers who tend to their spiritual flock with so many hours over so many years, that their own children are neglected and perhaps the needs of their wives as well.  The same could be said for Bible study: we could spend so many hours per month in this regard that we neglect our own health needs and the emotional and physical and financial needs of our family members.

So addiction is usually thought of negative things right out of the gate (e.g. alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.) but "addictions" could be positive but turn into negatives because of their consequences.

@BibleStudent100 I take your general point about addictions in a negative sense.

For all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked, who seem to have received them for witness tool purposes, it seems to have likely been done in a deliberate, controlled, serious minded manner.

So I guess for them it would likely stand outside an 'addictive' definition. (If this makes sense?)

On 3/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, ladypeartree said:

Oh I do have a 30 year old granddaughter with some really silly tattoos

@ladypeartree So did your granddaughter never invite you to go along with her during any of her tattoo parlor visits to see her getting more ink? (seriously, it's not necessarily unusual for a beloved family member to be asked to come and watch when members of the younger generation do it...)

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,035
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  236
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

she knew better than that 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, farouk said:

@Tristen Thanks. Your comment is definitely a logical, firm and thoughtful one (as are many of your posts, if I may say so).

Sometimes Christian parents can tend to engage in reactive moralizing against their young people turning the big 18. Including when it comes to tattoos in young adulthood - even faith based tattoos likely to be frequently used in testimony conversations.

But what this might mean really is that the parent is having difficulty in internalizing that their daughter or son really has grown up rather quickly - as young ppl do. The inkless Christian girl or inkless Christian boy has suddenly become a tattooed Christian woman or tattooed Christian man.

In my humble opinion this is self-evident. Even if some parents struggle with it.

As a matter of Christian doctrine, there is no Christian law either for, or against, tattoos. And, as you initially suggested, Romans 14 is a good guide for such decisions.

Nevertheless, it is still wise to consider the wisdom and life experience of elders when making decisions that have lifelong effects. There may be implications (apart from doctrine) that you have failed to consider.

Now, as an adult, you may not ultimately agree with your parent's position. But it is still wise to carefully consider what they have to say before making a decision for yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

Hi @AngelInTraining93 FYI............any wisdom for this topic?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

6 minutes ago, farouk said:

Hi @AngelInTraining93 FYI............any wisdom for this topic?

Pray for God to be your drink, inhale the truth of Jesus having sacrificed His life to save your, mine, and our lives and risen again after three days having been dead to get your buzz, and wear the fruit of the Spirit on your sleeves like tattoos! ✝️ Saw your request for my input and thought this would satisfy you, bubba! Happy praying sir! 

• Thumbs Up 1