IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

On 2/3/2023 at 6:03 PM, AdHoc said:

But whether or not you tattoo scripture on your body, it is moot. The gospel is to be HEARD and from HEARING comes faith (Rom.10:17, Gal.3:2, etc.).

Hi @AdHoc Thanks for the comment. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed (John 3.16, etc.) with whom I have spoken seem to have received them with a view to proclaiming the faith by way of a silent prompt to a possible conversation, anyway.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:34 AM, Debp said:

I didn't know her that well.   She moved out after awhile.

@Debp Well, anyway, sleeves, etc., are not so unusual these days. I mentioned earlier than my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible text, she said.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:00 AM, Debp said:

If a Christian or even someone else wants to get a tattoo, I don't think that is my concern.

I guess some people can become addicted to getting tattooed.  

@Debp I guess that some young Christian men and women regard a bit of discomfort and the risk of it becoming addictive and risk of offending some ppl even as a manageable risk if they are really sure that the faith based tattoo will lead to witness opportunities.

I know that different Christians have their own preferences and viewpoints and this is only natural and to be expected.

But as I was mentioning earlier, when my wife and I actually talked to a particular young lady, it provided a memory of her quiet joy in her favorite Bible verse (John 3.16) which she had bravely had rammed in, in full: a joy which surely brought respect for her decision and witnessing determination as a young adult to go into the tattoo parlor.

For her it seemed to be far more about self-control and pain management for a higher purpose, than about addiction.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, NConly said:

I have four and I see nothing wrong in them. ...........I have the Bald eagle for love of my country the other three are just personal preference that reflect something in my life.

Hi @NConly Although they can be addictive, going back for more does not necessarily indicate an addiction.

A lot of young Christian men and women seem to regard having it done as a way to express what is close to their hearts - i.e., their faith.

There is in fact such a huge and potentially rewarding scope for faith based and other wholesome tattooing - within the bounds of self-control rather than addiction - that I sometimes wonder if it would be a rewarding and good idea for more young Christians to consider a career working in a tattoo parlor. (So as a past participant in ink, what do you think?)

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,332
  • Content Per Day:  2.81
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @NConly Although they can be addictive, going back for more does not necessarily indicate an addiction.

A lot of young Christian men and women seem to regard having it done as a way to express what is close to their hearts - i.e., their faith.

There is in fact such a huge and potentially rewarding scope for faith based and other wholesome tattooing - within the bounds of self-control rather than addiction - that I sometimes wonder if it would be a rewarding and good idea for more young Christians to consider a career working in a tattoo parlor. (So as a past participant in ink, what do you think?)

There are water soluble christian tats ( kids or adult )also available that last a few days that some may try for fun and some would not even try them. also there are cloth sleeves that look like tats that slide onto the arm.

Edited by NConly
add
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

@Willa

"Two favorite granddaughters have them as well as many friends.  

Granddaughters were 18 when they get theirs."

It's an undoubted fact today, as opposed to years ago, that - often overwhelmingly, even - young Christian women as well as young Christian men on reaching adulthood are prepared to undergo a little temporary discomfort for a permanent ink expression of things they hold dear: i.e., their faith.

Edited by farouk

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,332
  • Content Per Day:  2.81
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, farouk said:

The four I have are all  over 15  years old. And only show in a T shirt

@Neighbor "And I still want one, but for as much as I try to iron out my wrinkles they just get  worse. Oh well, maybe a wrinkle pattern in more a American Samoa style tattoo is all I might handle. I have liked those bold wide solid black lines..."

So if you still want a tattoo like you said, would it be faith based, possibly? e.g., such as a simple Christian fish sign <><, etc.?

Hi @Selah7 FYI...........does any of this thread make sense to you? ....do you have any wisdom?

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

12 hours ago, farouk said:

@Tristen Oh what an excellent, Godly, balanced and well thought out post!

Whatever one's views may be, when my wife and I actually talked to the young lady I mentioned, it provided a memory of her quiet joy in her favorite Bible verse (John 3.16): a joy which surely brought respect for her decision and witnessing determination as a young adult to go into the tattoo parlor.

( cc. @Rosie1jack2pauline3 )

What a sad state the church is in today.  No discernment at all.  Regardless of our liberty, Jesus is not the minister of sin and He doesn't want us to defile His temple....HIS temple, not ours, as we have been bought with a price.

I wish you would spend your time preaching the word, instead of spreading the gospel of tattoos, and going out of your way so far as to keep asking people specifically to come to your thread to post.  It's evil what you are doing, encouraging young believers to get tattooed or become tattoo artists, not just here but on at least one other forum that I've seen, instead of encouraging holiness. 

One really has to wonder why this is such an important issue for you.  I would encourage you at the very least to take to heart the whole chapter of Romans 14 and not just the parts you happen to like.  Lord, help us.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1