IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

1 hour ago, Sower said:

You were smart! I was stupid in that I extended for the second tour when they gave me some more stripes, which meant my pay went up to a whopping $96.00 month.  Seemed a lot back then,  playing poker and then in one hand losing a month's pay.

My father told me what his paycheck was as an E-5 (Sergeant in the Army rank structure) during the early 1960s: $75.00 per month.

Big money, brother. Big money! :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/3/2023 at 8:09 AM, farouk said:

Okay, so on another thread -with restricted posting - there was a topic about addictions.

On the one hand we often rightly seem to think of addictions in terms of alcohol, drug abuse, etc., as being addictions and indeed thus bad.

Regarding addictions Farouk, it seems that doing anything in excess is wrong.  For example, we all know dedicated, hard-working ministers who tend to their spiritual flock with so many hours over so many years, that their own children are neglected and perhaps the needs of their wives as well.  The same could be said for Bible study: we could spend so many hours per month in this regard that we neglect our own health needs and the emotional and physical and financial needs of our family members.

So addiction is usually thought of negative things right out of the gate (e.g. alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.) but "addictions" could be positive but turn into negatives because of their consequences.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Sower said:

You were smart! I was stupid in that I extended for the second tour when they gave me some more stripes, which meant my pay went up to a whopping $96.00 month.  Seemed a lot back then,  playing poker and then in one hand losing a month's pay. 
You remember that funny little play money, monopoly MPC.

Back then I was also RCC religious and lost. In stateside duty, the few times my buddies went for tats was when we were half drunk building up the courage to go. And the tats they got looked like something from a prison artist spaced out, pretty crude.   
Which I think they preferred anyway, to be different. Young and dumb, yet we thought we knew it all. Can only imagine what they look like today, a half century later....
    Never regretted not having one back stateside. It was time to put it all behind me.    
I became a PFC again, if you know what I mean. And yrs later, reborn......:)

Yes, I remember the MPC (monopoly money), but if I lost or won anything, it was by playing back alley bridge. 

Some other things we have in common though: we both made it home; we both are tattoo free; we both earned big money while we were there; and best of all, we both eventually gave our hearts to Christ. Have a great evening brother.

Gary

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

Regarding addictions Farouk, it seems that doing anything in excess is wrong.  For example, we all know dedicated, hard-working ministers who tend to their spiritual flock with so many hours over so many years, that their own children are neglected and perhaps the needs of their wives as well.  The same could be said for Bible study: we could spend so many hours per month in this regard that we neglect our own health needs and the emotional and physical and financial needs of our family members.

So addiction is usually thought of negative things right out of the gate (e.g. alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.) but "addictions" could be positive but turn into negatives because of their consequences.

Billy Sunday, great evangelist,  is a good example. I believe a married man that surrenders to proclaim the gospel is fantastic, but his first ministry, God, then wife and children comes before any other. That is when other believers should/need to hold one another accountable to God.

William Ashley "Billy" Sunday (November 19, 1862 – November 6, 1935) widely considered the most influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century.

Tragedy marred Sunday's final years. His three sons engaged in many of the activities he preached against, and the Sundays paid blackmail to several women to keep the scandals relatively quiet. In 1930, Nora Lynn, their housekeeper and nanny, who had become a virtual member of the family, died. Then the Sundays' daughter, the only child actually raised by Nell, died in 1932 of what seems to have been multiple sclerosis. Their oldest son George, rescued from financial ruin by his parents, committed suicide in 1933.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

19 hours ago, bropro said:

we both are tattoo free

@bropro So do you actually like being tattoo free?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Some of the finest artwork on a body is on a few that have had  serious cancer surgeries. The tattooed artwork cover over some nasty scaring making the individual feel a whole lot better about the resulting disfigurement from radical surgery. So  tattoos, why not? Rhetorical question.

• Well Said! 1

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Some of the finest artwork on a body is on a few that have had  serious cancer surgeries. The tattooed artwork cover over some nasty scaring making the individual feel a whole lot better about the resulting disfigurement from radical surgery. So  tattoos, why not? Rhetorical question.

@Neighbor The anatomy need not detain us here on this thread, but with women restorative tattoo artwork following the sort of serious cancer surgeries that you mention can be therapeutic and assuring. I won't pursue this too verbosely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi @Thewhitedove FYI............so any wisdom for this thread?

Hi @Willa Did you see the discussion between Sower and BroPro above, both of whom were Vietnam vets, like your dh? seems like not everyone got around to getting a military related tattoo, anyway.....

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 2/26/2023 at 10:49 PM, Sower said:

You remember that funny little play money, monopoly MPC.

Back then I was also RCC religious and lost. In stateside duty, the few times my buddies went for tats was when we were half drunk building up the courage to go. And the tats they got looked like something from a prison artist spaced out, pretty crude.   
Which I think they preferred anyway, to be different. Young and dumb, yet we thought we knew it all. Can only imagine what they look like today, a half century later....
    Never regretted not having one back stateside. It was time to put it all behind me.    
I became a PFC again, if you know what I mean. And yrs later, reborn......:)

My USN hubby didn't get a tat either.  Your comment however reminds me of the comedy "Mom's Night Out" when she confessed to her teen aged daughter that she had got a tattoo of Donny Osmond on her rear end.  However, now that she is older it is starting to sag and looks more like her husband!   I am still laughing about it.

• Haha 2