Is It Wrong to Have Affections?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  1

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

After reading this, I was led to believe it was wrong to have affections towards any one as if affections relates only to lust.

Romans 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Certainly warns of where fondness towards the outward appearance in lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life can lead to homosexuality.

But if it mentions vile affections, then are there any good affections?

Colossians 3:1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

Apparently there are good affections not associated with lust, but with Christ's love as set on the things above and not of the earth where there is necessity to rely on Jesus Christ to help us lay aside every weight ( provision for the flesh; even lustful thoughts ) & sin daily in running that race for the high prize of our calling to be received as that vessel unto honor in His House when the Bridegroom comes at the rapture event.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. 22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Anybody having a hard time with this in living in this sexually hyped pride of life of society?  Turn to the Father in Jesus Christ's name for help daily in leading you away from temptations and delivering you from the evil one for that power comes from God alone.

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. 

11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 John 3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.....

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus said,  by this all men will know that you are my disciples if you have Love for one another.

If there is no affection, how are we to Love one another.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.84

Our affections effect who we are, what we are, and how we think.

Be careful about who and what you have affection for, make sure they will take you in the direction you want to be going.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Read from Strong's lexicon and see what the word means and how else the Greek is translated.

G3804 - pathēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Who made "affections" and lust?  God, man or the devil?

Secondly, how would our species propagate without lust?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

1 hour ago, NotMyRealName said:

There is a significant difference between affections and lust.  "Affection" is a gentle feeling of fondness or liking.  "Lust" is very strong sexual desire.  I have affections for many people and my pets.  I also have a sexual desire for my wife, though it is more based on love than lust.

Edited by JimmyB

On 4/26/2023 at 2:48 PM, Who me said:

Jesus said,  by this all men will know that you are my disciples if you have Love for one another.

If there is no affection, how are we to Love one another.

Well, that was the internal debate I had with Galatians 5:24. 

Jesus helped me to see that we are allowed to have affections for the things above with Colossians 3:2.

Love does not demand its own way or seek its own gain, but the good of the other.

As much as we would like to show affections or fondness to family members, they do not always want it nor care for it at all which requires His love to abstain and even withdraw if need be, especially when they are taking t in a wrong way.

There is an affection that was practiced in the early churches that have been dropped long ago.

1 Corinthians 16:20All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.

2 Corinthians 13:12Greet one another with an holy kiss.

1 Peter 5:14Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

With the LGBTQ+ & sexually driven sinners infiltrating the churches, I do wonder if that was not why back then as it seems to be now.

I would imagine it as a French kiss where they kiss both sides of the cheek, even though the French probably do not know where it had started or why or how.  It would be interesting to find out if that French kiss was the holy kiss Paul & Peter was writing about.

Not sure how any one can find out with misinformation out there on the internet.  I can only speculate but not teach it since I do not know what a holy kiss or the kiss of charity would look like.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, FJK said:

Our affections effect who we are, what we are, and how we think.

Be careful about who and what you have affection for, make sure they will take you in the direction you want to be going.

One can ask oneself if that affection is leading you to doing things down here by lust or wantonness or leading you to hope in showing godly affections up there in Heaven where everyone will be perfect and no doubt as to what kind of affection is being shown there?

Love is not boastful nor seeks its own gain.  Often times than not, we are seeking to pleasure ourselves down here rather than seeking the good of the other as if that is what real love is when it is not.

Christians has access to Jesus Christ to ask Him for help in giving them His love to love as we ought to down here.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jayne said:

Read from Strong's lexicon and see what the word means and how else the Greek is translated.

G3804 - pathēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)

Weird how they mix affliction and suffering with affections.  I doubt Colossians 3:2 would apply afflictions and sufferings for affections we are to have in Heaven.  I reckon it is defined by how it is used in the verse and the context of the message.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, NotMyRealName said:

The point of marriage is to raise a family.

You can love without lust.

Lust never satisfies.  It tends to corrupt and develop a wandering eye.

Love is giving rather than taking.  Love can result in being content.

There are affections associated with lust hence the devil just as there are affections associated with love hence God.

If both spouses draw nearer to God in their reconciled relationship thru Jesus Christ, they may see Him drawing them closer to each other in their marriage to each other.