• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, Marathoner said:

Pay attention to the OP where we are warned to avoid friendship, OneLight. I responded to the OP regarding that statement. 

Paul said what does light with darkness . If you want to fellowship with those walking in darkness you do at your own peril. Now you can be a loving Christian to anyone . Help them in any way but you cannot fellowship with them . Otherwise your partake in there deeds . Touch not the unclean 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/7/2023 at 11:13 AM, 1to3 said:

Hello @Wayne222;

I understand your sentiments and feel the same.

I have rarely seen a relationship work out that was unequally yoked.

OK yes, you will find some where the union happened and the partner eventually became saved, but this is very rare and also involves living in a lot of hardship before even such can occur.

I also talk from my own experience, that it has not worked for me to be with someone unequally yoked.

You cannot meet someone and think you will change another person by sharing Gods Word to them. Maybe it will happen, but more likely it won't and I say this especially to women who fall for a guy who is not christian and think their love, their christian love will be strong enough to change things. Many times it won't and will result in a very unhappy even abusive relationship.

So if you place yourself in a compromising situation ( rocky foundation to begin with) , the rest will also lack strength to build a solid future.

The bible repeatedly WARNS us and warns us of this through His Word.

Bible verses about being unequally yoked

Whether in business or relationships, Christians are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. Starting a business with an unbeliever can put Christians in a terrible situation. It can cause Christians to compromise, there will be disagreements, etc.

If you were thinking about doing this don’t do it. If you are thinking about dating or marrying an unbeliever don’t do it. You can easily be led astray and hinder your relationship with Christ. Don’t think that you will get married and you will change them because that rarely happens and it will most likely cause more problems.

We must deny ourselves and take up the cross daily. Sometimes you have to drop relationships for Christ  I know I had to.. Don’t think you know what’s best. Trust in God alone not yourself. There are so many reasons not to marry an unbeliever. Wait on God’s timing and trust in His ways.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?

Ephesians 5:7 Therefore do not become partners with them. 2 Corinthians 6:15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

(Dating Bible Verses)

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore, “Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.”

Isaiah 52:11 Depart, depart, go out from there! Touch no unclean thing! Come out from it and be pure, you who carry the articles of the LORD’s house.

2 Corinthians 6:16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”

And what did Christ Jesus Himself say?

Matthew 10:14

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

This does no mean we are not to show love towards unbelievers, our fellow man.  What is means is we are the share the gospel of Christ Jesus unto salvation with them, pray with them, help them overcome through HisWord. There is a big difference.

Yes Christ Jesus shared His Word while He at at the table of with the tax collectors and besides the prostitutes and other sinners and other sinners,He Partook in fellowshiping with them to share the GOOD NEWS and not to partake with them in their sinful ways and lifestyle. Big Difference.

Christ Jesus remained HOLY is sinless and commands us to be Holy like He is Holy.

1 Peter 1:15-16

but as He  = Christ Jesus which hath called you is Holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Yes we are called  to be ambassadors for Christ. To be shining Lights of example of His love and way of LIFE

2 Corinthians 5:20

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

The bible is clear WE ARE to have within us through the Holy Spirit of God working in us : LOVE MERCY & GRACE , that involved compassionate Mercy and Grace   ables us to forgive one another. Yes this is very important. But at the same time we are to keep separate, remain in Him lest we ourselves fall.

Remember a saying: if you hang out long enough at the barbers shop you will get a haircut.

But for our own christian lives and protection, Gods word says: we are not to live as the world lives, we are called to be separate from this world system, and be instead shining examples through our own lives, through Him working in our own lives with His commandments now living in us.. 

Where I live most people are unbelievers. I still talk to them,  i am courteous and friendly to them , help them out if I can, and when I get the chance I always share my faith in Christ Jesus to them, but I don't hang out with them or engage myself with them in their active sins .

And then you have those who say they are Christian believers but are living a very secular worldly lifestyle. Those as well, I am friendly, neighbourly with, help them out if I can, and always sharing my faith in Christ with them,but at the same time, I keep my distance from them, because I want to grow in Christ and not fall from His Grace by joining in the activities & things that world does.

Because I know where I from come, and I don't want to go backwards but forwards in my walk with Christ Jesus.

Christ Jesus came to FREE us from the house of Bondage

not to enslave us back into bondage.

Christ Jesus said you cannot love two masters

Matthew 6:24:

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Hello my friend you are so right . You speak with excellent words . And full of wisdom . And even the Old Testament said don’t marry women who are not Israelites. He said they will take you away from God . I am surprised I am being opposed on worthy . And very misunderstood. But I knew you would understand brother.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 5/6/2023 at 4:36 AM, SACREDWARRIOR said:

Hello,

As in all scripture, CONTEXT is important...I Became a Christian after I got married.....wife did not follow me in that journey for 11 years....we now have a beautiful Christ centered relationship...

The Unequally yoked passage..Is talking about a business arrangement, but does also apply to a marriage union...still we have to becareful not to Judge how God may be working in the circumstance.

THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION ROARS,

Clarence

I also married an unbeliever and often asked God how long I would have to suffer for my disobedience.  The context of the passage is definitely speaking of marriage.

2Co 6:14  Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 6:15  What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

It was 11 years before he was saved as well.  God spent 5 years of that time changing me into Christ's likeness while I, weeping, travailed in prayer night and day for his salvation.   

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/7/2023 at 4:33 AM, Wayne222 said:

I don’t fellowship with there life style of sins

Jesus ate with sinners, that is fellowshipping with them.

We don't have to identify with their lifestyle choices, but we are called to live in the same world, work in the same firm, have them working along side us etc etc

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Who me said:

Jesus ate with sinners, that is fellowshipping with them.

Were there non sinners for him to eat with?  To "fellowship" with?

My understanding is that he came to bring salvation to sinners, repentance and reconciliation with God, and associated with them to that purpose.

FWIW, there's an old saying that if you hang around a barbershop long enough you'll end up getting a haircut, something to contemplate as you establish relations with others and involve them in your life and your lifestyle.

Just a thought, not a judgment, make of it what you will.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

6 hours ago, Willa said:

I also married an unbeliever and often asked God how long I would have to suffer for my disobedience.  The context of the passage is definitely speaking of marriage.

2Co 6:14  Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 6:15  What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

It was 11 years before he was saved as well.  God spent 5 years of that time changing me into Christ's likeness while I, weeping, travailed in prayer night and day for his salvation.   

@Willa Glad it worked out well in the end.............

I do think Amos 3.3 is relevant also: "Can two walk together except they be agreed?"

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Going back to the beginning post. Of course one can be friends with non-Christians!

Plus; partnering up or buying into what a person says or does because they are Christian  is a serious error. One that can cost dearly.  

Example: How many a person has been hit up by a salesperson from church, how many  that sell annuities and other products, like  stocks, essential oils, Cyber currency propositions, etc?

Are those individuals , those Christians, partnering up for benefit of anyone other than themself? No they are not! Their being Christian does not in of itself make for a grand recommendation for entering into a business deal or partnership. 

All that look like sheep may not be sheep either.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

28 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Are those individuals , those Christians, partnering up for benefit of anyone other than themself?

Calling yourself Christian does not make you Christian, living in faith and obedience to Christ in all of your life and in all that you do does. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

14 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I don’t understand why the plain scripture is not listen to . If God says be NOT unequally yoke with unbelievers. People will come up with unsound reasons they can . Good post !

I don't think anyone here - at least from what I can see - is saying to marry an unbeliever!  It has simply been pointed out that in this passage, Paul does not use the word "marriage" specifically in context with this verse  That's it.  He saves that mention until much later.

For me this was an eye-opener that marriage was not mentioned in this passage, since I have ALWAYS heard it used specifically for marriage.  Now can it apply to that relationship?  Sure.  But let's not put our natural reasoning in there, where the word of God is silent, thereby putting undue human emphasis on something.  Again, no one, to my knowledge, is advocating marrying an unbeliever!

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

I don't think anyone here - at least from what I can see - is saying to marry an unbeliever!  It has simply been pointed out that in this passage, Paul does not use the word "marriage" specifically in context with this verse  That's it.  He saves that mention until much later.

For me this was an eye-opener that marriage was not mentioned in this passage, since I have ALWAYS heard it used specifically for marriage.  Now can it apply to that relationship?  Sure.  But let's not put our natural reasoning in there, where the word of God is silent, thereby putting undue human emphasis on something.  Again, no one, to my knowledge, is advocating marrying an unbeliever!

Indeed. I haven't advocated such a thing either. We have pointed out how scripture is sometimes silent regarding something others feel strongly about; this is one of those situations.

It's clear from the passages I referenced in an earlier post that marriage with an unbeliever was neither forbidden nor unheard of in the early Church, so this isn't something that arose in modern times because men and women are searching for ways to be disobedient. Paul gave his judgment to the Corinthians as to how specific situations arising with an unbelieving husband or wife ought to be handled. We note how the apostle did not rebuke anyone for marrying an unbeliever.

It's troubling that scripture can't be discussed without accusations of wrongdoing cropping up: "You don't believe as I do, so you must be looking for ways to disobey God." That's common fare, and has nothing to do with discussing the scriptures. 

Simply because the Lord permits something doesn't mean we advocate for it to be done. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1