IGNORED

'Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.'

farouk

Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.

• Yes, they do work; they are effective
    • No, they don't work; they are not effective
    • Don't know
    • I have my thoughts but would prefer not to express them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2023 at 08:28 PM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

For me personally, if I was not born again, I would not be swayed by christians imitating unbelievers so that they could have an influence on me. I may ask what it means or why they have it but sway me? And never forget that it is God the Father who 'draws' the person to Jesus, not man...and can He go against what He told the Hebrews what not to do? Just a thought...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, some say when in rome do as the romans.... so off they go to do what the world does trying to impress them.

This is a turn off to sinners out in the world because why would they want to be like someone... who is like them?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,507
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

5 hours ago, Littlelambseativy said:

For me personally, if I was not born again, I would not be swayed by christians imitating unbelievers so that they could have an influence on me. I may ask what it means or why they have it but sway me? And never forget that it is God the Father who 'draws' the person to Jesus, not man...and can He go against what He told the Hebrews what not to do? Just a thought...

5 hours ago, Big Boy Johnson said:

Yeah, some say when in rome do as the romans.... so off they go to do what the world does trying to impress them.

This is a turn off to sinners out in the world because why would they want to be like someone... who is like them?

The point of a Bible verse tattoo presumably being not to impress people with a tattoo for its own sake but to focus on an opportunity to reflect on the Word of God.

Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll.

NB: If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now.

back a bit

''I have met some believers who reworked the tatts from their old lives into something Christ honoring after they were saved. Those can be a good conversation starter sometimes, and many say reworking them was cheaper than full removal...As a kid, I'd ask about them, and sometimes the stories were kinda cool ..''

@walla299

Seems like in some areas - Bible Belt, etc. - for Christians old enough to get them, their expectation of having it done has become thoroughly ingrained as part of the culture, anyway, FYI:

..in the rural Bible Belt. Just about every person in three of the four sides of my family (bio parents, step parents) have multiple tattoos. Most of them are biblical (crosses between the shoulder blades are the most common ones) getting tattoos when your old enough is pretty much expected in the family.

source: reddit

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Heather A. said:

"Reno also has a lot of tattoo places. Carson City has a few. Most people travel to Reno or Las Vegas for it. .. I have 1 tattoo and I got it in Reno. .. I do have a cross tattoo."

christianityboard dot com

In such areas it appears that the expectation of having it done became compelling already long ago. Anyhow, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked expected to have it done; and they seem to have had it done as a witness tool.

@TheBlade I guess your vote not to express any thoughts on this topic is still current...? :)

Oh I do have a 30 year old granddaughter with some ...they are responsible for their own choices

@ladypeartree She's 30? well nowadays by then it has so often become compelling to have done, it seems.

back a bit

My pastor has a large cross tattoo and several passages  tattooed upon his frame. I don't think it likely a good look for me, but it fits him well.

@Neighbor Well, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed seem to have found the expectation of having ink rammed into their dermis to have been rather compelling as witness tools, anyway.

Maybe the preacher known to you whom you describe has compelling stories which show he has found that having been first willing to go have his skin shot through with those Bible passages has brought about many witness conversations. (He might well have, if you were to ask him.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 minutes ago, farouk said:

back a bit

@Neighbor Well, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed seem to have found the expectation of having ink rammed into their dermis to have been rather compelling as witness tools, anyway.

Maybe the preacher known to you whom you describe has compelling stories which show he has found that having been first willing to go have his skin shot through with those Bible passages has brought about many witness conversations. (He might well have, if you were to ask him.)

Oh he has explained. In part it was rebellion against his father a very strict Baptist pastor who delved out severe corporal punishment.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Oh he has explained. In part it was rebellion against his father a very strict Baptist pastor who delved out severe corporal punishment.

Thanks, @Neighbor . I guess I was thinking also of whether he might have had testimony-related conversations as a result of his Bible verse tattoos which might not have come about otherwise?

(Sometimes it's not bold and eager male Christian youths that get them - like your preacher friend - but also rather quiet and even shy Christian young women who feel strongly that plucking up the confidence to go earnestly into the tattoo parlor for their dermis to be pumped with ink in a Bible verse will be sure to help them talk to their friends and even strangers about Scripture.)