Genesis 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine;

he was the priest of God Most High. 

19 And he blessed him and said:

“Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
20 And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.”

And he gave him a tithe of all.

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham

returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 

2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,”

and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,” 

3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life,

but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.

4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils.

@George,

I would greatly appreciate you weighing in on this matter.

Edited by Mr. M
cosmetic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

Given then lack of Biblical information about Melchizedek I can only offer an opinion which is that he was made LIKE unto the son of God. The Word made appearances in the OT but only briefly. Here we see Melchizedek abiding over a city, and held a position of authority as a king and a priest. The references to him not having beginning of days or end of life and no genealogy simply completes the type of Christ having a superior priesthood over the Levitical one. But again, only speculation.

Edited by PATrobas
removed a word
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Isn't this called a theonomy or epiphany, a type of Christ in the Old Testament?

• Interesting! 1

One other reason I don't think Melchizedek was a manifestation of the Word is that he was named. None of the other "angels of the Lord" or manifestations of God in the OT was named.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

When God divided up the people at the tower of babel, he assigned angels to foster each group.   Most of them went over the edge and started demanding worship and became the little gods of pagan worship.   Melchizedek was one of these angels that remained faithful to the Father and the preincarnate Jesus (Yehweh).

Of course this is my personal belief and would take a book to express why....   and that's not happening so I just post it for something for others to ponder.

• Interesting! 1

What is the basis of your personal belief? The scriptures say nothing concerning angelic assignments over people groups much less those who would fall then demand worship, as far as I know. Can you give some scripture references so I may ponder what you say? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dave-regenerated said:

Isn't this called a theonomy or epiphany, a type of Christ in the Old Testament?

I believe the term is Theophany and is a visible manifestation to humankind of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.98
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

17 minutes ago, other one said:

When God divided up the people at the tower of babel, he assigned angels to foster each group.   Most of them went over the edge and started demanding worship and became the little gods of pagan worship.   Melchizedek was one of these angels that remained faithful to the Father and the preincarnate Jesus (Yehweh).

Of course this is my personal belief and would take a book to express why....   and that's not happening so I just post it for something for others to ponder.

11 minutes ago, PATrobas said:

What is the basis of your personal belief? The scriptures say nothing concerning angelic assignments over people groups much less those who would fall then demand worship, as far as I know. Can you give some scripture references so I may ponder what you say? Thanks.

A few points to consider:

Deuteronomy 32:8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
    when he divided all mankind, he set up boundaries for the peoples
    according to the number of the sons of Israel. [ 70 ]

Deuteronomy 4:19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, should be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Daniel 10:12 Then he continued, Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. 

Br. Pat,

Please understand that this is off topic, which is probably why @other one refrained from going into details. Since I don't think anyone will harangue me for de railing my own thread, I offer a few scriptures, and if he adds or takes away anything from what I posted, that would be fine. On the other hand, Melchizedek was assigned a city, Salem, not a nation, so I would not agree that this applies here.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

A few points to consider:

Deuteronomy 32:8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
    when he divided all mankind, he set up boundaries for the peoples
    according to the number of the sons of Israel. [ 70 ]

Deuteronomy 4:19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, should be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Daniel 10:12 Then he continued, Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. 

Br. Pat,

Please understand that this is off topic, which is probably why @other one refrained from going into details. Since I don't think anyone will harangue me for de railing my own thread, I offer a few scriptures, and if he adds or takes away anything from what I posted, that would be fine. On the other hand, Melchizedek was assigned a city, Salem, not a nation, so I would not agree that this applies here.

Thanks brother and I recognize the spiritual battle rages amongst angels as told us in Eph.6:12 and 2 Cor. 10:3-5, but I know of no scripture alluding to Melchizedek being an angel. Nevertheless, I'll leave these deep things to you guys. I have enough trouble doing what Jesus asks of me today! Thanks for trying. Blessings.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.98
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

33 minutes ago, PATrobas said:

Thanks brother and I recognize the spiritual battle rages amongst angels as told us in Eph.6:12 and 2 Cor. 10:3-5, but I know of no scripture alluding to Melchizedek being an angel. Nevertheless, I'll leave these deep things to you guys. I have enough trouble doing what Jesus asks of me today! Thanks for trying. Blessings.

No problem. I already dismissed the notion if you take a closer look at the final sentence of my response. Also, the scriptures say that he was a man, so there is that...

Hebrews 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils. 

• Thumbs Up 2