• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, other one said:

Did you read what I wrote past your question.

Jesus told us to be one with him as he is one with the Father....   So does that mean I am God too?

And that's a subject for serious debate depending on one's definition of that word.

I wasn’t questioning what you believe… merely asked how you deal with opposition to a specific situation. 
Thanks for joining in!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Philologos said:

Are you saying that the perspective of 3 being one is wrong, but seeing the 1 as 3 is correct?

Wouldn’t we just be arguing the semantics and not really knowing any significant difference between the two?

(maybe I misunderstood what you are actually thinking, sorry)

It can be confusing coming across the internet and not talking in person.

I am saying that this:

The Father is God.  The Son is God.  The Holy Spirit is God.  BUT, not three separate Gods.

The Father is not the Son nor vice versa.  The Son is not the Holy Spirit nor vice versa and the Father is not the Holy Spirit nor vice versa.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

6-26-23

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

One Lord one faith one baptism/scripture - Search (bing.com)

Love, Walter and Debbie

8 minutes ago, Tony the student said:

You ask about the Christians' perspective, which is also the precursor to one's spoken or written point of view. Take God's point of view which is revealed below in Scripture. Do not look at the world from a worldly view. Instead, take God's point of view.

Two individuals can read the same verse and conclude they each have and know God’s point of view, yet see the complete opposite meaning, or, at least foreign from the other’s point of view.

There are differing points of view, but not all are God’s. I’m not asking for God’s thought process on why He kept saying “one” and we keep saying “three.”
It’s not scripture or doctrine I’m looking for, I’m not asking to be taught about the trinity- I’m asking for thought processes related to why we focus on either the individuals of the trinity and why some focus on the One even though they may believe the same doctrine.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Philologos said:

I wasn’t questioning what you believe… merely asked how you deal with opposition to a specific situation. 
Thanks for joining in!

Discuss what the word God/god in Hebrew and Greek means....   and what Jesus meant by calling them one.   It doesn't mean one in the same, but one as a unit.   When they want to make them the same thing, explain that Moses Arron and 72 others saw the God of Israel (Yahweh) and Jesus told us that no one had seen the Father.   So they are not the same.

Our being one is the connection through the Holy Spirit.

I do my best to get folks away from the Western idea of God being one entity.    A persons God can be anything.   Satan teaches that we are our own Gods...    Some folks God is money, or wealth.  Almost anything can be a persons god....    To us it is the three of what we conveniently call the Trinity...   because one has to have all three to have any of them at all.

1 hour ago, other one said:

to get folks away from the Western idea of God being one entity. 

I agree that when Moses stated “God is One,” he did not use the number one, rather the word that means (basically) united as one.
But Jesus said “the Father and I are one.” 

The snippet I pulled from your response almost directly conflicts with scripture- I’m not stating that you are wrong, I’m just wondering… if scripture says Father/son/Holy Spirit are one, why do we still speak of three separate entities? Yes, father, son, and Holy Spirit are three… but their own testimony is that they are ‘one.’ 

The scripture does not emphasize the teaching of a triune God, but does emphasize His oneness. 

I really just want to know what is it that makes us focus on proving He’s a trinity and why we have to always intentionally speak of Him as three as if it were required for us to do. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Philologos said:

I agree that when Moses stated “God is One,” he did not use the number one, rather the word that means (basically) united as one.
But Jesus said “the Father and I are one.” 

The snippet I pulled from your response almost directly conflicts with scripture- I’m not stating that you are wrong, I’m just wondering… if scripture says Father/son/Holy Spirit are one, why do we still speak of three separate entities? Yes, father, son, and Holy Spirit are three… but their own testimony is that they are ‘one.’ 

The scripture does not emphasize the teaching of a triune God, but does emphasize His oneness. 

I really just want to know what is it that makes us focus on proving He’s a trinity and why we have to always intentionally speak of Him as three as if it were required for us to do. 

In the same fashion how are we supposed to be one  with them.  Just saying that considering everything, he's not saying that he and the father are the same thing.   Actually the Father isn't even thhe "God" that interfaced with Moses and Abraham.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

In computer science you can have data and then a pointer to data. In fact, you can have multiple pointers to the same underlying data. Each pointer points to the same thing. The thing is not accessed directly but is referenced via its pointer(s). Perhaps we're dealing with something similar. Maybe God, whatever his ultimate form, is sufficiently abstract as to be incomprehensible to our minds, hence we have easier to conceptualize "pointers" that point to the underlying truth, each in their own unique way.

10 hours ago, other one said:

he's not saying that he and the father are the same thing

Actually, he was. 

Yes, he was born of a woman, that’s what made him a man(and separate from his father); but, as Spirit, he never ‘disconnected’ from God. He was still God when He entered Jesus- his glorified body and His spirit (as God) merged- they literally became one. 
The purpose for us is different- Jesus spent his life preparing to hold the seven spirits of God (see Isaiah & Revelation)… His body became a part of God so that God could become part of us.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

21 hours ago, Jayne said:

It can be confusing coming across the internet and not talking in person.

I am saying that this:

The Father is God.  The Son is God.  The Holy Spirit is God.  BUT, not three separate Gods.

The Father is not the Son nor vice versa.  The Son is not the Holy Spirit nor vice versa and the Father is not the Holy Spirit nor vice versa.

But then there's some verses like Isaiah 9:6 which says  "And He shall be called . . . Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" etc.  And 1st Corinthians 15:45 "The Last Adam became a life-giving Spirit."